TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

Congrats. I think you will be happy with this club. It has been performing amazingly for me since the start of testing. I can't wait to put it in play again Wednesday.
Let us know how it works for you.
Crud! If I would've known yours was a tester, I'd have asked to hit it! Dang!!!

Range Session:
Temps: Mid 40's
Wind: 6-12mph directly head on

What wind says the RBZS2! Decided to go back to a shorter back swing today and think I'm going to stay there for a while throughout the bag. Much better ball striking across the board and the RBZS2 approves...didn't top one ball tonight. Since it is behaving as usual, going to start working more on shaping the ball...should be fun.

Ordered the 15* 3-wood today.
Can't wait to see how it comes along for you!

Texas invitational Stage2 testing:

How awesome to be around so many THPr's and test at the same time! Well done, really enjoyed the pics and info.

You should have said something anyway. My is open fo for anyone to hit what ever is in it. I believe you would have liked it. We seem to like similar clubs from talking with you. With your swing speed, the shaft may be a bit soft, but I bet you would have some good luck with this club. Maybe we can meet up some weekend later this spring and you can put this in play some.
Crud! If I would've known yours was a tester, I'd have asked to hit it! Dang!!!

Official Review 3/17/13 RBZ Stage 2 FW 15*

Sorry for not getting this posted earlier, but after running a half marathon in the morning and playing 18 holes in the afternoon, I was pretty wiped out on Sunday, which was followed by a long day at work yesterday.

Like I said, I got for 18 on Sunday for another blistery round of golf here on the coast. It was fairly warm, about 55*. My last two rounds were at a wide open, links style course, so playing on a tight course was a big change. My first opportunity to use the Stage 2 was on number 2 from the deck on my approach shot on a par 5.. I had 246 to the middle of green and 233 to the front with a strong breeze in my face, so it was a good distance for the Stage 2. Unfortunately, I got a little wild with my swing and topped it, only hitting it about 130 yards. Not the club's fault obviously.

Second opportunity to use the Stage 2 was on tee on 10. It is a short par 5 with a big dog leg left, which sets up well for my draw as I can hit it over the trees. Even if I hook the tee shot, typically the ball will end up in play. Not this time, I got a little long with my back swing and hit a massive hook out of bounds. This mishit is more a reflection of user error than anything else--my miss is left and a club can only do so much. I teed it up again and took a nice, easy swing and hit a high draw over the trees. The ended up in the middle of the fairway 258 out.

Number 12 was playing downwind and with a creek running across the fairway 290 out, I decided to hit the Stage 2. I hit it as well I could, another high draw that started on the right side of the fairway and moved back towards the middle. 278--with a lot of help from the wind. You will see how much the wind was affecting me on the next couple of shots.

On 16 I hit my driver off the tee even though it's a hole that sets up well for a 3 wood because of the stiff breeze in my face. I hit the Stage 2 off the tee just to see how it compared. First one I hooked again out of bounds. Yikes. Second one I hit it pretty well but higher than I wanted to but in the middle of the fairway. I GPS measured it at 233. A big difference from the my tee shot on 12.

On 18 I did the same thing, driver off the tee first, followed by the Stage 2. Hitting into the wind again, my first shot with the Stage 2 I hit left but it ended up in the rough. GPS measured at 242. Second with the Stage 2, flighting it lower, I hit it straight down the middle 236. For comparison sake, I hit my driver pretty well--found the fairway--it measured at 251. Only 9 yards further than the one I hit left and 15 more than my second. I think the one I hit left with the Stage 2 ran out a little bit in the rough as it is matted down and the fairways were overseeded and soft. Still, I can't say that I am shocked that the Stage 2 kept up with my driver. Next time out, I am going to do the driver/Stage 2 comparison a couple of times.

Overall thoughts on the testing today:

I struggled today with my accuracy with the Stage 2 on a day when I was hitting the ball pretty well otherwise, which runs contrary to what I have seen from the Stage 2 so far: most other rounds, it has been my go-to fairway finder. This was the first round I've played with the Stage 2 that I would say I struggled controlling it. I'm not sure what to chalk it up to other than just having a bad day with it. My misses today were no different than what I have seen from every other 3 wood I've gamed. I still hit a few good ones with it and one absolute bomb, so I think today was just a bump in the road. Thanks!

You should have said something anyway. My is open fo for anyone to hit what ever is in it. I believe you would have liked it. We seem to like similar clubs from talking with you. With your swing speed, the shaft may be a bit soft, but I bet you would have some good luck with this club. Maybe we can meet up some weekend later this spring and you can put this in play some.

Force me to hit this tomorrow at the range please! I got to see you hit several times throughout the weekend even though we did not play together and you absolutely kill this thing. Jealous of seeing guys hit a 3w as far as my driver!!

I am really going to have to stop looking in this thread as I am now definitely going to try out the Stage 2 and compare it to my original RBZ next week while I am off work

Force me to hit this tomorrow at the range please! I got to see you hit several times throughout the weekend even though we did not play together and you absolutely kill this thing. Jealous of seeing guys hit a 3w as far as my driver!!

I noticed this exact thing during my last testing session, I was hitting the Stage 2 further than my driver and in better positions as well. In additional the miss hits which inevitability happen to many golfers are not nearly as punishing with the Stage 2 than with not only the driver but my previous gamer Nike 3 wood. If you have the chance to hit one I highly recommend it just to see how it stacks up you might be surprised.

I really think you will like this club. We both have about the same speed I think, so I am going to believe that this would work really well for you. Pair it with your R1 and I think the top end of your bag would be phenomenal.

I'd love to! Thanks! I wanted to hit three clubs this past weekend and this was one of them.

I'd love to! Thanks! I wanted to hit three clubs this past weekend and this was one of them.

We definitely need to meet up and play somewhere in between us and you can bag it for the round. I believe you would enjoy it

Family Sports Center
Temps: mid-upper 40's
Wind: 8-12mph

Wanted to quick post my review before thinking about one of my best buds dad passing today from cancer gets to me. I knew this morning he had gone back into the hospital and couldn't just sit around and think and pray about it. So I went out to the local Exec 9 today on a free pass from the Golf Expo in Denver.

It was a great decision and helped calm me, especially with the ball striking being good today. I actually took my driver with me today and did not grab the RBZS2 on the first par 4 or the par 5 off the tee. The driver performed nicely for being sidelined for the past month.

The first hole I pulled the RBZS2 was on the second shot of hole number 6, a 537 yard Par 5. I also dropped a second ball here to hit the AMP Cell FW for comparisons. I thought I had snapped a picture, but it did not save on my phone for some reason. Both FW's landed within 15 feet of each other 47 and 62 yards from the front of the green. The AMP cell landed in the fairway allowing for additional roll, and the RBZS2 in the first cut...no issue with chipping to the green. Missed my 20 ft putt, but tapped in for par.

I pulled the RBZS2 on hole number 8 off the tee, a 310 yard Par 4 with a slight dogleg/bend left. There is a tree just behind the sand bunkers straight away which is where I wanted to go. I new that a small knoll was in front of the green to prevent it rolling through the downhill slope. The sound made from this contact and flight were exciting to hear and watch. I walked to the left side where I thought it should be, but apparently it had hit the knoll and kicked right (Hard to tell in the picture, but the knoll is roughly 8 feet in height and can be seen directly past the flag in the background and drops directly to the green). I couldn't believe it had made it to the fringe, I knew I put a good swing on it, but holy cow was I excited.
1363721312250.jpg

Hole%208.png

Obviously, being the internet...I'm claiming the 310 yard FW distance! Just kidding, the app measured the shot through the bend at 278yds downhill with the wind coming right to left on this hole. I'll take that shot any day of the week and again on Tuesday.

Today's Thoughts:
The RBZS2 was only pulled on two shots today, but those two shots were golden. The AMP Cell was only pulled one time today for comparison and kept the pace with the RBZS2 off the deck. Overall...excellent performance today!

I want to end this review with the thought that I will always remember this round of golf. I wanted to replay the course, but had the feeling I probably shouldn't given the news I would probably receive during the replay. I decided to go hit a small bucket instead. The ball contact continued to be good and was ripping the RBZS2 off the deck, half way through I got the call from my long time best bud. We knew it was going to be today and really brought back memories of my dad passing from leukemia just shy of 25 years ago the 23rd of this month. Getting out and testing the club and generally getting my mind occupied with this wonderful game helped me today. I apologize if these final thoughts are inappropriate in a review thread.

J4U, sorry to hear about your friend's Dad. Thoughts and prayers are with him. Thanks for the the write up with everything going on. You certainly didn't have to do it, but your post reminded me of one of the reasons why we play this game is to escape and clear your mind. Thanks for helping to remind me to keep things in perspective.

That 278 yard bomb is a heck of a shot. It seems like quite a few of us testing the Stage 2 have been able to pull off some crazy shots with it. And yes, this thing is a beast off the deck too. Nothing inappropriate for this thread as far as I am concerned.

Repeat of everything Jeff has said. My thoughts exactly. Could not have said it better. J4U, thanks for posting here today. Prayers going out for your friend and his family.
J4U, sorry to hear about your friend's Dad. Thoughts and prayers are with him. Thanks for the the write up with everything going on. You certainly didn't have to do it, but your post reminded me of one of the reasons why we play this game is to escape and clear your mind. Thanks for helping to remind me to keep things in perspective.

That 278 yard bomb is a heck of a shot. It seems like quite a few of us testing the Stage 2 have been able to pull off some crazy shots with it. And yes, this thing is a beast off the deck too. Nothing inappropriate for this thread as far as I am concerned.

Official Testing Review - On the Range - Stage 2 15* FW

I went out yesterday after work and hit the range for about an hour and 15 minutes or so. I spent most of the time with the Stage 2. The weather was perfect mid to high 60s and a light wind. Unfortunately, the hiting area on the range was moved up from the usual fairway style grass that has been overseeded for the winter to an area with dead grass. I spent a lot of time on the range trying to find a decent lie to hit from but the Stage 2 handled the less than stelar conditions amazingly well.

Off the deck: I can't enough about how easy the Stage 2 is to hit off the deck and how much of an improvement it is over the original RBZ in terms of forgivness. I actually hit the Stage 2 more consistently off the deck than the tee. This thing has turned into a bit of a par 5 killer recently. I relish the opportunity to be able to go after a par 5 in two with the Stage 2.

Off the Tee: I don't know if I am closing the face when I'm hitting it off the tee, but I have been fighting a hook, whereas off the deck, most shots tend to go straight or with a controlled draw. As I have discussed in this thread, this is not a problem unique to the Stage 2 for me with 3 woods. It is something I have always struggled with. When I remind myself to take a nice, slow swing the results are fantastic.

Forgviness: I really like how the Stage 2 sets up to the ball and rests on the turf. While the Stage 2 has a larger sized head compared to my Ping i20, it has no way made impeded my ability or confidence to hit it off the deck. Even when I hit it low on the face or fat, there seems to be a lot of forgiveness. When I catch it low with my Ping or original RBZ, the results were typically pretty awful. With the Stage 2, I get decent distance out of it and shots that I feel like I would have topped with other clubs, result in low, straight shots.

All in all, I'm really liking what I have seen out of the Stage 2. If I can get to the point where I am hitting it off the tee as well as I am off the deck, then I will be in business.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day of testing there Jeff. I have also seen that the Stage 2 is quite easy to take off the deck. I had a shot this weekend that I thought I would top, with out a doubt, but the shot came off perfectly. On in two on a par 5. This club does eat up par 5.
What issues are you seeing from the tee though? I, almost always, see a draw from the box, but as you said, I get a nice straight shot of the deck.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day of testing there Jeff. I have also seen that the Stage 2 is quite easy to take off the deck. I had a shot this weekend that I thought I would top, with out a doubt, but the shot came off perfectly. On in two on a par 5. This club does eat up par 5.
What issues are you seeing from the tee though? I, almost always, see a draw from the box, but as you said, I get a nice straight shot of the deck.

Thanks, man. As far as issues from the tee, I'm seeing the dreaded duck hook pop up more frequently. That type of miss is fairly common for me with a 3 wood off the tee. I wouldn't say that I am seeing it more often with the Stage 2 but I struggled with control off the tee my last round and on the range last night.

I put the Stage 2 in play last night in our golf league. At the range warming up, everything was looking really good with the ball flight and aim. I was getting some great looking shots, but the last few I over cooked and produced some hooks.
Once out on the course. I was able to put the Stage 2 in play on the second hole, second shot into a par 5. 245yds out with a sliht breeze coming into my face. I pulled the shot left of the green, but was pin high. Ended up birdiing the hole. That was actually my last decent shot of the round. Everything after that was horrible. I actually was putting such a bag move on the ball the rest of the day, that I actually sliced the Stage 2 twice. My third hole I topped the drive out of the box and into the water. Then I proceeded to to hit a weak slice for my 3rd shot. The game was gone for me. I used it again off the tee on #9 and hit another slice and the the next hole I hit a fade off the tee. These shots had nothing to do with the club at all. It was jut one of those days where I had no energy at all.
There really was not much useful information out of todays round as I had used what ever energy I had on the range and that did not last long. I even gave cookie some time with it, but he too was spent. I think we are all still feeling the effects of the Texas Invitational weekend. Drained is all I can say.
I still really like this club, as it has produced some really quality shots. The amount of forgives has been something that as been very good for me. Even with the VERY poor swings I was putting on the club today, I was not getting completely killed, except the topped shot. I was getting some good distances still and for the most part I was finding the ball and haveing a chance to recover. I just could not do it yesterday.
Hopefully, with some rest, I will get out to the range this weekend and be back to smoking the Stage 2.

We definitely need to meet up and play somewhere in between us and you can bag it for the round. I believe you would enjoy it

Let me know when you plan this, if that's ok. That way Paul can play my i20's for the round also (saw he was pondering in the i20 thread). Started a new round of lessons yesterday, so hopefully I won't be distracting.

Let me know when you plan this, if that's ok. That way Paul can play my i20's for the round also (saw he was pondering in the i20 thread). Started a new round of lessons yesterday, so hopefully I won't be distracting.

Will do Mike. After yesterday's round, it will be a few weeks before I hit the course again. I need to get back to the range. I have a few things I would like try with the Stage 2.
Looking to get back into lessons myself. I really think it is time to shore up the game. This club has given me the itch to really improve my game.

Update on my thoughts. Apologies for the delay, have been very busy.

Played 4 rounds on a very tough championship links a few weekends ago. I won't go into too much detail but as before I was deliberately swinging the stage 2 very easily (3/4 swing). I used it extensively on the first 2 rounds as the wind wasn't up.

I found it very straight and very long. Not much difference off the tee between the stage2 3w and my orignal RBZ driver. Hit it off the deck a bit too as there are some long par 5's and very long par 4's, especially with the wind up, and found flight and distance to be excellent too. Pretty much in line with my sim an drange testing, I was carrying it 230-240 off both tee and deck but with zero roll, although the fairways were very soft so I think I'd get a good 10-15 yards roll on this in dryer conditions. The ball didn't seem overly affected by some pretty fierce cross winds.

I (literally) hit at a good 75% of fairways over the weekend, probably slightly higher for the stage2 3w, maybe 80%. I didn;t hit a bad shot all weekend with it, which is more than can said for my irons!

Definitely staying in the bag. I was hitting it as far as most playing partner's drivers without stepping on it. I thing I've got a regular 270+ shot in me if I crank the swing up and step into it but again, as before, I don't want or need my 3w to go that far so happy to take the confidence it gives and keep it easy and straight.

Only negative is I might need to go out and buy the 3 rescue now!

I put the Stage 2 in play last night in our golf league. At the range warming up, everything was looking really good with the ball flight and aim. I was getting some great looking shots, but the last few I over cooked and produced some hooks.
Once out on the course. I was able to put the Stage 2 in play on the second hole, second shot into a par 5. 245yds out with a sliht breeze coming into my face. I pulled the shot left of the green, but was pin high. Ended up birdiing the hole. That was actually my last decent shot of the round. Everything after that was horrible. I actually was putting such a bag move on the ball the rest of the day, that I actually sliced the Stage 2 twice. My third hole I topped the drive out of the box and into the water. Then I proceeded to to hit a weak slice for my 3rd shot. The game was gone for me. I used it again off the tee on #9 and hit another slice and the the next hole I hit a fade off the tee. These shots had nothing to do with the club at all. It was jut one of those days where I had no energy at all.
There really was not much useful information out of todays round as I had used what ever energy I had on the range and that did not last long. I even gave cookie some time with it, but he too was spent. I think we are all still feeling the effects of the Texas Invitational weekend. Drained is all I can say.
I still really like this club, as it has produced some really quality shots. The amount of forgives has been something that as been very good for me. Even with the VERY poor swings I was putting on the club today, I was not getting completely killed, except the topped shot. I was getting some good distances still and for the most part I was finding the ball and haveing a chance to recover. I just could not do it yesterday.
Hopefully, with some rest, I will get out to the range this weekend and be back to smoking the Stage 2.

We all have bad days. And the Invitationals can wear you out. I know you'll be back to smashing the Stage 2 in no time.

Update on my thoughts. Apologies for the delay, have been very busy.

Played 4 rounds on a very tough championship links a few weekends ago. I won't go into too much detail but as before I was deliberately swinging the stage 2 very easily (3/4 swing). I used it extensively on the first 2 rounds as the wind wasn't up.

I found it very straight and very long. Not much difference off the tee between the stage2 3w and my orignal RBZ driver. Hit it off the deck a bit too as there are some long par 5's and very long par 4's, especially with the wind up, and found flight and distance to be excellent too. Pretty much in line with my sim an drange testing, I was carrying it 230-240 off both tee and deck but with zero roll, although the fairways were very soft so I think I'd get a good 10-15 yards roll on this in dryer conditions. The ball didn't seem overly affected by some pretty fierce cross winds.

I (literally) hit at a good 75% of fairways over the weekend, probably slightly higher for the stage2 3w, maybe 80%. I didn;t hit a bad shot all weekend with it, which is more than can said for my irons!

Definitely staying in the bag. I was hitting it as far as most playing partner's drivers without stepping on it. I thing I've got a regular 270+ shot in me if I crank the swing up and step into it but again, as before, I don't want or need my 3w to go that far so happy to take the confidence it gives and keep it easy and straight.

Only negative is I might need to go out and buy the 3 rescue now!

That's awesome, man. Thanks for posting and keep us updated. I was doing a bit of comparing the distance of the Stage 2 to my driver the last round I played and the Stage 2 was within 20 yards of my driver. I'm going to have to do a few more driver/Stage 2 comparisons but there is no denying the Stage 2 is long.

Stage2 meets the Vegas lights. As I stayed in my review of the Stage2 hybrid I also had the Tour stage2 out under the Vegas moon last night. My testing mirrors the hybrid as I hit it off the tee, deck, rough and divots.

Off the tee I saw some very good Flighting when I stayed down and through it. I was able to hit low punches, mid and high shots came with ease as well. From the deck I would say the majority of my shots were mid height shots but seemed to hang in the air as I have seen with my old RbZ.

Divots are a work in progress. I think this holds true for most FWs as they aren't built for these types of trouble shots. From the rough if the ball was done I didn't get much loft or air distance. The ball rolled forever though. If the ball was sitting on top of the rough it played beautifully, almost like it was on a tee.
Tight fades were he order of the session. Some straight ones on command but 85% were fall odd the table fades. I do feel that this club is longer than its big brother. It's like a mini driver of sorts and will be played on tighter 400+ par fours or placement par fives. I'm still getting used to it off the deck so I may be laying up more until I get more comfortable. My swing has me gun shy in some places but its a gaze that wil be short lived. In the short time it's been in the bag I can say its finding its place.

I tested out the original and it was #IER so wouldnt mind giving this a smack. I'm in line for some xtra money next month so going to invest in a full bag this might just fit in for my 3w or 5w

Was able to play a round yesterday with RonInThornton and today with mhg, thanks again guys, much appreciated relief! I am getting ready to head back home for a funeral and rough weekend, will put something together possibly this weekend or when I return.

I can tell you that trying to hit over a tree grouping 200 yards out off the deck and the flight being too low to clear them, I still had a shot to the green to save Par on a Par5. The ball was just a bullet, luck or forgiveness...lol. Still great thoughts for this club ongoing...

Back