The Official THP Biggest Loser Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is around here you just gotta shoot it lol.

Not a big pork fan but a pug would be cheaper then a few other options.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I will eat pork chops for sure. So chicken, turkey, pork chops, and lean ground beef. Should be plenty to choose from! I am ready to go starting Monday. Lets drop some poundage guys

WHen I'm at college my day generally looks something like this:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage/ham, apple or pear.

Lunch: Chicken/pork/beef and mixed vegetables OR a salad with roast chicken OR soup.

Dinner: Leanest protien available, perhaps a side salad.

Another thing is, DO NOT drink your calories. It's really easy to toss back a few sodas or a few beers and forget about the hundreds of calories they contain. Drink water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee. Caffeine is a wonderful appetite suppressant. I also wholeheartedly recommend the avoidance of diet soda: the artificial sweeteners tend to induce nearly uncontrollable cravings.

Finally, I recommend picking up some prunes. Yup, prunes. Again, a fantastic appetite suppressant, and a good, nutrient dense source of quick energy.

I will eat pork chops for sure. So chicken, turkey, pork chops, and lean ground beef. Should be plenty to choose from! I am ready to go starting Monday. Lets drop some poundage guys

TH,
One of the most important things we did is create meals rather than eat on the fly. By planning out the week, we can research things that we think we will like. Snacking has always been my nemesis, so finding healthy alternatives such as nuts instead of chips, yogurt, etc can be really helpful.

TH,
One of the most important things we did is create meals rather than eat on the fly. By planning out the week, we can research things that we think we will like. Snacking has always been my nemesis, so finding healthy alternatives such as nuts instead of chips, yogurt, etc can be really helpful.

Awesome. I think I will make a game plan before I head to the store tomorrow.

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I desperately need some motivation! Count me in.

I don't like fish either, I keep trying to eat it, and I can tolerate some of it, but overall I just don't like it. Well, except tuna fish, love that and I can eat it with mustard instead of mayo.

You can grill or bake pork chops, they are healthy and you can do so many things with them. You can also do 97/3 ground beef, it tastes way better than ground turkey breast and still very healthy. I also love lowfat sausages, they are a little hard to find, but if you can they are great for different meals.

I just did tuna switching out the mayo with plain greek yogurt the other day. Pretty good when you get the right proportions.

--

This is a decent recipe/information book...
51Yd%2BefGDJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-This-Not...1364087744&sr=8-3&keywords=cook+this+not+that
Not sure about the rest of the series though.

--
Still haven't gotten around to giving Tofu another chance. Eventually I'll remember to go to the Asian Grocery
--
Taco Salads are really good with ground turkey. Can't really taste much difference between ground beef and turkey when it's seasoned. Skip any chips or tortilla bowls with it though.
We use prepackaged 50/50 Salad, lean ground turkey w/ taco seasoning, reduced fat shredded fiesta blend cheese, salsa and light sour cream. Next time I'm going to switch out the sour cream for guac though. Using the right portions you get a big plate of food for ~450 calories.
--
When having tuna or peanut butter sandwiches, I just do open faced sandwiches to cut out a slice of bread.
--
Kashi GoLean (the regular GoLean) cereal is good. Best cereal to add protein that I've found.

I'm in. Needed some new motivation after doing great the first bit of the year. Hopefully this is it.

Awesome! I'm guessing we'll have 30+ by Monday!

Things that make me go hmmmm...(this is all just thoughts [and as usual they may come across jumbled, sorry], nothing more)

Useful muscle vs. not so useful muscle...

Did you know that your body weight and the correct simple excercises are all you need to build a strong, muscular, and healthy body? The basic gist of this came directly from a physical/sports therapist the used to work with the US Fencing Team. Push-ups, crunches, lunges, etc. using just your body weight can be done in the comfort of your own home without the use of any other equipment. Unless you are/or are planning to be an elite athlete where you need a large amount of muscle or a body builder, these excercises will build the body you really need and one you'll be extremely happy with.

On the other hand, you can invest in a large amount of weights, weight machines, or gym membership and go pump iron to mostly build a body that looks good (other than for those that need that body). But, is it building the body you need? Are the muscles you are putting on actually useful to your everyday life or are they really only good for going and pumping iron? Take building up biceps for example. In my everyday life I don't see much use for large biceps. Most things I do, fencing, golf, etc. more involve extending my arms rather than flexing them and for the most part my activities don't involve heavy weights involved.

--

Workout DVDs...

Somebody said that they were ready to re-start their DVD workout program that they've been doing for awhile and thinking about this kept me up late last night. Does restarting the program mean that it didn't work out so great or just mean that there is more there to do to reach a goal? Thinking about it I think that workout DVDs are good for losing weight, but is just losing weight the goal. This makes me think, would I want to basically spend my life working out to a DVD to reach a target weight or am I better off choosing activites I like that will both target my weight loss goal and my goals of what I want my body to be and what I want it to do?

--

I don't mean to knock either DVDs or Gyms, as they do offer things that other's want and are great motivators for some but for me they aren't what I want or need. I may be blessed in that I have a clear idea of what I am looking for in my wellness challenges but it took a lot of introspection to get there. 10 weeks ago I thought that I just needed to lose some weight so I could be ligher and quicker for fencing, and also to build up some endurance to have enough for a long tournament. This led to quitting smoking and quitting drinking. 8 weeks ago, the company I work at started a 10 week wellness challenge that I joined to help motivate me to lose the weight and build up more endurance. When filling out the goals I had to decide where I wanted to be weightwise at the end so I chose the number mostly based on where my biggest competitor at fencing is weightwise. But, this really started my introspection of not only the where but also the why and the how. During the last 8 weeks things have become very clear to me. I started the 10 week challenge at an unhealthy 174 and my goal for the challenge is to lose 20 lbs (17 down 3 more to go) and my further goal is to get to 150. The 150 started as a goal mainly for fencing (to get quicker and lighter on my feet, not to mention shrinking my opponents target area) but the 150 has become more than a goal just for fencing but for my forseeable life. It will be easier on my legs and joints, I don't need to weigh more to play golf, I don't need more to do any other sport I can see myself doing, and I don't need more to do the work around the house (carpentry and plumbing really isn't all that heavy or demanding). Understanding the where and why really developed the how I am going to get to the 150. To get quicker and lighter on my feet for fencing I needed to chose activities that worked my legs and that would also improve the endurance of my legs so I am doing a lot on the stationary bike, I bought a new bicycle (the 1st new bike I've had in 30 years), I go for long walks, and I even took up the last activity I ever thought I'd take up | running. Knowing that I also needed to keep up what muscle I have (and also build a little)I have been doing 100 push-ups a day. Not only are these activities getting me lighter, but they are building the endurance and body I need and want. They are also activites that I can see myself doing and enjoying for the rest of my life (or however long I'm able to).
The 10 week challenge has also gotten me to do what I've said I've wanted to do for a long time and that is to get my diet in a good place. Diet is the biggest thing that will get you to a healthy lifestyle and weight. In 2001, I weighed 125 lbs at 5' 11" and I was completely unhealthy do to my diet. I felt horrible without any energy and my body ached and the worse thing was I still thought I was fat. In 2002 I decided I needed to put on weight so I started weight lifting. Though I was gaining weight and muscle, I still didn't look good or feel good because I didn't get my diet straightened out. Straightening out my diet in the last 8 weeks has made me feel the healthiest I can ever remember feeling. Knowing where my diet is going makes me feel relieved and hopeful for a long and healthy life.
--

Anyway...what I'd like the participants of the Biggest Loser competition to do (you don't have to) is take a look beyond just loosing weight. Look at where you want to be and why. Chose some activities you know you enjoy and can see yourself doing for a long time to come that will get you to the where and why (and keep you there). Make your diet about eating right not just about cutting calories. I think this competition is a great way to building a great future.

----

I looked in the mirror this morning when getting dressed and it was the first time I can remember actually feeling satisfied with the way I look. I've had body image problems as long as I can remember. The best thing is that I know I'm going to get it looking better by the end of this challenge and even if it doesn't change from here I am happy and feel great.

----

I am blessed to have been born in a country where I actually have the choice of what I get to look like. I am grateful to all the men and women who have served to keep it this way.

----
I really hate writing :)

Good luck to all!
I'm 11 months into my weight loss and I'm down 120 lbs and in maintainance.

i used the Loseit.com iPhone app and it is great! Really helped me.

All private messages have been responded to with my contact info, still time for more signups

Anyone know of good cook books for picky bastards. I am the pickiest eater of all time.

Anyone know of good cook books for picky bastards. I am the pickiest eater of all time.

Cooking light and biggest loser have good ones

The internet. There are so many recipes out there on Foodnetwork, Bigoven and other places that you can find just about anything you would want.

What I need is a book called healthy eating for the guy that hates eating healthy. Lol

What I need is a book called healthy eating for the guy that hates eating healthy. Lol

Takes some digging, i was in the same boat, had to force myself in some areas but the reward was well worth it

Cut back on beers, really, water will be your friend during this competition, for example on weight watchers, a beer is worth 5 points. And so is a small pizza lol, not worth drinking a beer at the moment

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Mike, I got your PM.

Cut back on beers, really, water will be your friend during this competition, for example on weight watchers, a beer is worth 5 points. And so is a small pizza lol, not worth drinking a beer at the moment

I've lost from 216 down to 207 since cutting down on beer consumption. I started out doing this to help my son (no beer in the house allowed) with his rehab and it ended up helping me drop a good bit of weight. Some of my pants are starting to look like I'm trying to sag, like a high school kid :D

But water is just so god awful. Lol

I start drinking a lot of water now that the seasons supposed to change. Last year during the peak of summer I was drinking like 2 gallons of water during work alone. Still got dehydration.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I just saw this in a magazine. I know I will pay more for it, but this will be a HUGE help for me with pasta. Pasta is one of those meals that I can seriously eat the entire 1lb box by myself.

pp-rz-homepage.jpg

I just saw this in a magazine. I know I will pay more for it, but this will be a HUGE help for me with pasta. Pasta is one of those meals that I can seriously eat the entire 1lb box by myself.

pp-rz-homepage.jpg

How many cals in it?

pp-rz-homepage.jpg

I love pasta and bread, which is gonna kill me.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Pasta is a sticky one for me. I love it, but I find it simply doesn't provide me with adequate hunger control for the calories it provides.

I've lost from 216 down to 207 since cutting down on beer consumption. I started out doing this to help my son (no beer in the house allowed) with his rehab and it ended up helping me drop a good bit of weight. Some of my pants are starting to look like I'm trying to sag, like a high school kid :D

Hahaha yeah I haven't had any coke or beer in about 3 weeks, and if I sneak anything in it's only on special occasions hahah, but seriously
Last night I tried a bit of soda and it was too sweet for me, ugh I don't know how I used to drink it so much. Now beer is another story, I love beer but it's counter productive to my goal haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back