Walking off the course

The problem with the course not giving a partial refund in situations like this is that there is then no compelling reason for them to tackle the slow play. If a refund hits the course owner's pockets they may well do more about the situation. It is a difficult one though as they quite rightly do not want to piss either party off in these situations.

There is not, and never will be ANY good reason for any round taking 6 hours never mind 7. Good god, I could grow a beard in less time.

Slow play is the scurge of the game of golf. It the perhaps the main thing that puts people off taking it up, but it is so easy to cure.

Slow play in itself is not the issue here, it is the total lack of common sense of the people involved. Some people are slow (both high and low h/cappers, men or women) and TBH I don't care if they are out there 10 hours so long as the call faster players through.

When I started back in the 70s I was given these little snippets :-

'keep up with the group in front, not just in front of the group behind'
'if your group looses pace on those in front, call the group behind through'
'always allow a two ball to play through a three or four ball'

'if not in a comp, play ready golf whereby if at your ball it is safe to play, play and don't wait for your partners to decide if it is 150yds or 149.347882yds'

All of these thing keep the game moving. Not rocket science at all.

If golfers were to be more aware of what was going on around them and what effect their actions were having on others they would allow faster groups through and if they seem unable to apply even a small amount of common sense, then to my mind they have no place in being there.

The problem with common sense though is that it is not very common these days on the golf course.

In part, slow play is a problem perpetuated by the courses themselves as they will allow every man and his dog on the course without even checking that the golfer is aware that they MUST call people through if they hold someone up. If these golfers were aware of this before setting foot on the green stuff and still did not call people through, the course could legitimately boot them off. End of.

Northdale in Tampa.

That's what I figured, alot of golfers in that area, with not many affordable public courses.

That's what I figured, alot of golfers in that area, with not many affordable public courses.

Ha, then we played 18 at Babe Zaharias in 3 hours today.

I agree with Blu. If a course doesn't meet your expectations for pace of play, maintenance, cute cart girls or whatever, then it's time to vote with your feet. Complaining to the clubhouse is perfectly acceptable but it's their choice whether to reimburse you or not. It would be a nice gesture on their part, but I've never seen a sign at any course guaranteeing how long a round will take. On weekends you are going to have a lot of people out there that just want to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors, so I think it's unreasonable to expect a public course to be fast on the weekends. There's most likely going to be a lot more children and beginners out there and I enjoy seeing people on the course with their families. Expecting a public course to have a good pace of play under these conditions is like going to Walmart on Black Friday and being surprised that it's crowded IMO.

Every public course I've been to has peak hours when it's going to be busiest. If you talk to the pro shop, they should be able to tell you the best times to play. If I want a faster round, I adapt to their schedule, even if it's an inconvenience on my part.

But to answer the original question, no it doesn't make you a bad person. If you aren't having fun, there's no reason to continue your round.

I probably wouldn't have asked for a refund myself, but I would have definitely let the clubhouse know that 3:25 for nine holes is unacceptable at ANY time! I play in a hit & giggle tourney every August (eightsomes) that doesn't take as long as the OP's round.

I agree with Blu. If a course doesn't meet your expectations for pace of play, maintenance, cute cart girls or whatever, then it's time to vote with your feet. Complaining to the clubhouse is perfectly acceptable but it's their choice whether to reimburse you or not. It would be a nice gesture on their part, but I've never seen a sign at any course guaranteeing how long a round will take. On weekends you are going to have a lot of people out there that just want to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors, so I think it's unreasonable to expect a public course to be fast on the weekends. There's most likely going to be a lot more children and beginners out there and I enjoy seeing people on the course with their families. Expecting a public course to have a good pace of play under these conditions is like going to Walmart on Black Friday and being surprised that it's crowded IMO.

Every public course I've been to has peak hours when it's going to be busiest. If you talk to the pro shop, they should be able to tell you the best times to play. If I want a faster round, I adapt to their schedule, even if it's an inconvenience on my part.

But to answer the original question, no it doesn't make you a bad person. If you aren't having fun, there's no reason to continue your round.

Agreed, showing up on a weekend afternoon and expecting to play in 3.5 hours is not reasonable, expecting to play in less than 6 hours is.

I've never walked off because of slow play. I also think it's silly when people blame a bad score on slow play.

I have to disagree with your statement about pace of play expectations. I think that it's unreasonable for any course, public or private, to expect their customers to accept such a condition. It's really up to the players to complain, to take their business elsewhere, to somehow use whatever avenue is available to them to make the course management know that such a policy is unacceptable. I certainly received complaints at my starter booth when pace of play wasn't up to a players acceptable standard. I passed those comments on to the pro staff, and they passed them on the the rangers. A long weekend round at the peak of the season is now about 4.5 hours, not great by any means, but I don't remember the last time I clocked a group at 5 hours. What it takes is just paying attention to what it happening on the course, and to the requests of your customers.

I agree. It is. But there might have been a really good reason. I have just maintained, a raincheck is more fair to the course than expecting a refund.

BG,
Please tell us what would be a "really good reason" that was beyond the club's control for a round taking this long. I just can't think of one.

BG,
Please tell us what would be a "really good reason" that was beyond the club's control for a round taking this long. I just can't think of one.

Since we're dealing with extremes. What if it was a wounded warriors outing. And 16 veterans missing limbs were holding you up. Or a First Tee outing.

If there is going to be a First Tee outing in front of me that is expected to cause the pace of play to be that slow, you better tell me before I pay. If they new it was going to be slow and didn't tell me, then I definitely would expect a refund. I have been told "its going to be a little slow" by the pro shop attendant. It is my choice whether to play or not at that point, but I certainly appreciate the honesty.

For what its worth I've never asked for a refund at a golf course for any reason, but I certainly think its fair to ask for one here.

I have to disagree with your statement about pace of play expectations. I think that it's unreasonable for any course, public or private, to expect their customers to accept such a condition. It's really up to the players to complain, to take their business elsewhere, to somehow use whatever avenue is available to them to make the course management know that such a policy is unacceptable. I certainly received complaints at my starter booth when pace of play wasn't up to a players acceptable standard. I passed those comments on to the pro staff, and they passed them on the the rangers. A long weekend round at the peak of the season is now about 4.5 hours, not great by any means, but I don't remember the last time I clocked a group at 5 hours. What it takes is just paying attention to what it happening on the course, and to the requests of your customers.

What if the course is making a profit and the throngs of people there on the weekends don't care about how long it takes? Should the course automatically make adjustments because some of us want 3 hour rounds? If you went to Disney on the Fourth of July weekend, would you complain to the management that the lines were too long? No, you knew what you were getting into when you bought your tickets, or at least you should have. There's a reason we have public courses, so that the average person can go out and play some golf. Even the slowest people have a right to be there. If the majority of the golfers on a course are slow, what right do we have to demand that everyone else speed up to what we think is appropriate? I look at as a compromise. If I play on a weekday or non-peak time, I expect to have a round at a decent pace. But if I go to a course at noon on a Saturday or Sunday, I know anything can happen.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older now, but I find I have a lot more patience when it comes to this sort of thing. I see a lot of posts on here about friends or family members passing away. Myself, I'd love to be able to have a 6 hour round with my father. Who knows, maybe one of those groups ahead is someone's last round with a loved one.

What if people sneaked on to the course? What if board members were playing or the mayor or someone with some major pull.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

What if people sneaked on to the course? What if board members were playing or the mayor or someone with some major pull.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Then they need to kick them off, or the board members need to have more respect. There is no reason for a 7 hour round... period. Like I said if there is a special interest group ahead of us that will lead to incredibly slow rounds, that needs to be told to paying customers behind that group.

Then they need to kick them off, or the board members need to have more respect. There is no reason for a 7 hour round... period. Like I said if there is a special interest group ahead of us that will lead to incredibly slow rounds, that needs to be told to paying customers behind that group.

I've been in the situations I've listed And kicking them off or telling them off even isn't going to happen. The board members are basically owners of the course.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I've been in the situations I've listed And kicking them off or telling them off even isn't going to happen. The board members are basically owners of the course.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I'm referring to the people who snuck on the course. If there are board members who have that little respect for the game of golf then your course has some serious problems.

Eh this just why I don't play on the weekends unless its A thp event or a tournament..

Came pretty darn close to walking off today, the cold and winds were incredible. For those who attended the DFW Invitational last week you would not have had fun today. Temp's were in the upper 40's and winds were gusting 40 to 50 mph.

I kind of find this thread comical as I don't even know what a sub 4 hour round would look like...it's never happened. I'm a weekend warrior who can't play on weekdays and I have just accepted my fate that golf is a 5.5h adventure. Marshals are just a rumor to me as I've never seen one actually doing his job, and we pay top dollar around here.
Are you sure some of you guys aren't in heaven? 3.5 hour rounds, dirt cheap green fees, and cheap memberships...what else could that mystical place be lol?

I just did this for the first time ever. It took us 3:25 to play 9 holes. I couldn't wait anymore. The course clearly overbooked the tee times, and it was a parking lot out there. Does this make me a bad person?

Doesn't make you a bad person at all. I like the fact that you waited until you finished the front 9 and made the turn before you walked off. But I also agree with some of others in that I would have said something to people in charge at the clubhouse. Maybe give them a call on Monday and express your disappointment. They obviously need to hear it or it will only get worse on the course.

Interesting thread read.

1-Completely okay with me to walk off. I doubt I would have made it to the turn. I play my course in under 2hrs when alone and unhampered, and under 3.5 when in a 4some and not held up. If we make the turn in over 2.5hrs, I'll often leave (or go over to the par 60 executive course). If on another course I likely wouldn't leave until the 3hr 9, but definitely would then.
2-I would fully expect a rain-check for at least 9.
3-Blugold, I would argue the pro shop's #1 job is to control who is playing on the course, but I agree they cannot control slow play when it is from overbooking. If the problem is from a couple of random groups, the pro shop should get involved. If it's just from lots of groups, can't blame them. Unless you want to debate number of slots allocated per day, then it's admin's fault and not necessarily the pro shop people's. Now, I would say that if 5hr+ rounds are the usual, they should warn people ahead of time, and if they don't they should offer refunds after a couple of holes, and/or rain-checks at the turn.

My home course will pack as many people on as will come. They have 7.5 minutes between groups, but if more come they'll put them in line. BUT, they'll warn people it's going to be slow, and encourage them to play the executive course (most won't), or come back later (most won't). I know the busy times at my course and play my rounds accordingly (seniors pack it early, teenagers and couples midafternoon, so I try to get there to play noonish, or after 3).

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

We have one or two board members who try to act that way and we've been told to not let them do as they please. They still have to follow the same rules as every other member.

We have two semi-public courses in town and a ton of golfers. This very scenario happens every Saturday afternoon and many Sundays if the weather's nice, just a fact of life. It cracks me up that people make their tee time a week in advance, have trouble parking because the lot is full, wait in a long line at the front desk to pay and then ask if its going to be slow going. Hahaha

I just did this for the first time ever. It took us 3:25 to play 9 holes. I couldn't wait anymore. The course clearly overbooked the tee times, and it was a parking lot out there. Does this make me a bad person?

That's about what it would take to get me off the course. 3:30 is about right for 18 at my club--so glad I moved to the country! The only other reasons I've ever walked off are injury or lightning/extreme rain or snow. And no, it does not make you a bad person. Quitting the sport because of it, or throwing a tantrum because of it might make you a bad person, but quietly walking off (and informing the ranger the pace is way-too-slow) is kosher.

Back