2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
got home last night and started week 2 of Couch to 10k. Woke up this morning and did week 2 day 2, 1 more day and then move on to week 3.

Switched up my workout routine after plateauing for a little while. Besides doing cardio - which I have ramped up in degree of difficulty, I have added weight training as well. Sticking to a low weight and high rep routine when lifting. Must be working because my appetite is off the charts right now. Sticking with same diet that had me losing weight but body is really burning through it now.

I love it!!

got home last night and started week 2 of Couch to 10k. Woke up this morning and did week 2 day 2, 1 more day and then move on to week 3.
Only took 20 minutes after I woke you up this morning for you to actually get out of bed.

Only took 20 minutes after I woke you up this morning for you to actually get out of bed.

true. But look how quick I got from the bed to hitting the pavement.

Anything else going on in your life that may be contributing to this? Sounds like maybe a bit more than just overtraining. Still, take your heart rate when you get up the next few mornings - if it's high, you are more than likely overtrained and the adrenal glans are easy to get burned out if you aren't careful.

Could be but I think its more stress than over training Been out of work for a while and getting frustrated because I haven't been able to find anything, then I get stressed and end up over eating and feel like crap. I've learned to take it easy if I feel like crap in terms of working out but I've just been in a funk lately.

Could be but I think its more stress than over training Been out of work for a while and getting frustrated because I haven't been able to find anything, then I get stressed and end up over eating and feel like crap. I've learned to take it easy if I feel like crap in terms of working out but I've just been in a funk lately.

I see - totally understandable!. What kind of work do you do?

Apparently nothing lol. Last job I worked at the local county government doing general office crap, promised a lot of things that never happened and then left when my dad got sick. I detail cars or try to but it was tough last year with my dads illness. I've co-owned an independent record label, worked in a recording studio and before that just general teenage jobs. I've done a lot but it doesn't seem to matter. Last time I have had even an email about employment was in August and then they messed something up and I missed the cutoff. So stupid.

Did a 3 mile run this morning as part of my marathon training. Got it done in splits of 11.40 - 9.40 - 9.01 for a total time of 30.21. I'm pretty happy with that. I don't usually run on an empty stomach but i said i'd give it a try this morning. Literally straight out of the bed onto the road. The legs are pretty achy now.

Aiming to do a 4 mile run on Saturday or Sunday

Did a 3 mile run this morning as part of my marathon training. Got it done in splits of 11.40 - 9.40 - 9.01 for a total time of 30.21. I'm pretty happy with that. I don't usually run on an empty stomach but i said i'd give it a try this morning. Literally straight out of the bed onto the road. The legs are pretty achy now.

Aiming to do a 4 mile run on Saturday or Sunday

Nice dude. Keep us posted on the progression!

Sweet man! Great work!

KellyBo and I joined a local gym with our tax refund money. I've been hitting it pretty hard for the last month and I can see/feel the results already. I have more energy and my body is shaping up pretty nicely for an old dude :D

I need to be given the motivation to work out today. I was up until about 3:30 with the dog. Every little sound she heard she thought ddec was coming home which didn't happen until 5:30 just in time for my alarm to go off. Maybe it's not motivation so much as I need a coffee drip today.

I need to be given the motivation to work out today. I was up until about 3:30 with the dog. Every little sound she heard she thought ddec was coming home which didn't happen until 5:30 just in time for my alarm to go off. Maybe it's not motivation so much as I need a coffee drip today.

Lets go Jen you know you can do it. Get those trainers on move :D

ouch that stinks, maybe a quick workout? I think Turbo jam can be found online, burns some cals and I think its like 20 minutes long

Lets go Jen you know you can do it. Get those trainers on move :D

ouch that stinks, maybe a quick workout? I think Turbo jam can be found online, burns some cals and I think its like 20 minutes long

I'm going to do a Jillian Michaels Kickboxing workout on my lunch break those are only 20 minutes with warm up and cool down but still get a good work out in.

I'm going to do a Jillian Michaels Kickboxing workout on my lunch break those are only 20 minutes with warm up and cool down but still get a good work out in.

There ya go! Drop lb's while ddec stuffs his face with pizza

There ya go! Drop lb's while ddec stuffs his face with pizza
I changed my mind and did Jillian Michaels 6 weeks to a 6 pack level 1 work out. I have a feeling I'm going to be sore tomorrow. I liked that she mixed a lot of cardio in and everything worked your core or your back.

I'm all for trying new things at the gym to keep the workouts from getting too redundant, so a couple weeks ago when I was debating weather to do squat jumps or box jumps, the lightbulb went off and I tried a hybrid of the 2 exercises. I suck at explaining things so I figured a video would be better... http://youtu.be/PJsHjtXLG9c I figure this fun exercise will be a great way for developing those fast twitch muscles for some explosive power.

I'm all for trying new things at the gym to keep the workouts from getting too redundant, so a couple weeks ago when I was debating weather to do squat jumps or box jumps, the lightbulb went off and I tried a hybrid of the 2 exercises. I suck at explaining things so I figured a video would be better... http://youtu.be/PJsHjtXLG9c I figure this fun exercise will be a great way for developing those fast twitch muscles for some explosive power.

Jordan

I used to do those when I played basketball in my 20's and early 30's. Great exercise - but you REALLY have to listen to your body, and I wouldn't do them more than twice a week - very taxing. The minute form breaks down, stop. I used to do something like them in certain cycles a few years ago but only with a heavy medicine ball. I will actually hold the medicine ball chest high, squat and jump on the bench, while raising the ball over my head. I haven't done them in a while, and now that I'm 47 maybe I shouldn't lol - but I think now that I have dropped 25+ pounds maybe I can give them a go.

Great work! Training like an athlete is always more fun!

Did a different DDP Yoga workout last night. I cant believe the amount of sweat that poured off me. That stuff is no joke. Back and knees feel great again today. Had a Trop 50 OJ, organic frozen strawberry and mango smoothie and a 2 egg w/ peppers, onions, and salsa omelette. Feel so much better since starting this. It is helping because even though we are "dieting" in the morning and through the day and working out at night we are still have sensible dinners and stuff we like. I dont even care about looking at the scale, I just feel so much better.

Last edited:
Jordan

I used to do those when I played basketball in my 20's and early 30's. Great exercise - but you REALLY have to listen to your body, and I wouldn't do them more than twice a week - very taxing. The minute form breaks down, stop. I used to do something like them in certain cycles a few years ago but only with a heavy medicine ball. I will actually hold the medicine ball chest high, squat and jump on the bench, while raising the ball over my head. I haven't done them in a while, and now that I'm 47 maybe I shouldn't lol - but I think now that I have dropped 25+ pounds maybe I can give them a go.

Great work! Training like an athlete is always more fun!

Cool, thanks man, I'll have to try that with the medicine ball next time, be almost like doing a front squat version of it. I only lift 3x a week, 4x when I'm really ambitious so I wouldn't dream of doing these more than twice a week. With all the injuries I've had I can't afford to push things like I did when I was younger, spending 4-6 weeks on the shelf with the already limited golf season I get up here would be awful! Great job dropping those 25+ lbs too, and that would be awesome if you can pull those squat jumps with the medicine ball off at 47 :good:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back