New Tiger Woods Ad From Nike Golf

I should add one thing to this. I have no issue with this ad because it does exactly what it is supposed to do, make people pay attention. I also have no issue with Tiger Woods and want him to have an absolutely huge year on tour. Just merely showing that there are two sides to what people are seeing based on what we have heard in the last 24 hours about the campaign.

I guess I just don't like the idea that winning is the most important thing.
But for Tiger and the rest of the major players on the PGA Tour isn't it all about winning?

How come nobody is dogging Nike? They came up with the ad. There is no way that Nike didn't know what they were doing when they publicized this? But, there's no such think as bad press, right? Maybe because this is a golfing forum, we gravitate toward's the TW part of it. But, the big picture, to me, is how Nike Sr Mgmt think this is okay to run with.

I for one, could care less. I don't care about Elin. I don't care about their kids. I like watching Tiger play. I wear Nike apparel, mostly because of the price point I can get it at for a look that I like. Other than that, I file all of this under W.G.A.S (Who Gives A %#$@). Humans like to jump and bandwagons and get riled up of stuff that doesn't even pertain to their lives. I find it interesting, and amusing, to watch.

I just think that at some point people should let go of the past. Letting go of the past doesn't mean you are saying it's okay what that person did, but it's just not right to continually hold it over their heads as if they somehow forgot what happened.

Blu,
While I agree, you are making an assumption that the people that dislike Tiger Woods do so because of his acts with women. Some people dislike him for his arrogance. Some for his on course antics. Some for millions of other reasons. To many golf fans, the ridiculous actions from 3 years ago was just icing on the cake for a person that they chose not to root for already. Just as some do the same for Phil, Bubba or anything else.

This is it for me. It's fun to watch him hit a golf ball well, but there are many reasons besides the serial cheating on his family that spoke for the quality of his character.

How come nobody is dogging Nike? They came up with the ad. There is no way that Nike didn't know what they were doing when they publicized this? But, there's no such think as bad press, right? Maybe because this is a golfing forum, we gravitate toward's the TW part of it. But, the big picture, to me, is how Nike Sr Mgmt think this is okay to run with.

I for one, could care less. I don't care about Elin. I don't care about their kids. I like watching Tiger play. I wear Nike apparel, mostly because of the price point I can get it at for a look that I like. Other than that, I file all of this under W.G.A.S (Who Gives A %#$@). Humans like to jump and bandwagons and get riled up of stuff that doesn't even pertain to their lives. I find it interesting, and amusing, to watch.

Because as in the case with using his deceased fathers voice a few years ago, in the end it's Tiger's call as to what message is used. I'm sure they had other options for him.

I know you aren't picking on me specifically but I'm not riled up about it, I'm just giving my opinion on the ad.

Are you serious here? While I love watching the guy play golf and think he is wonderful for the world of golf, saying he is a good role model is a bit far fetched isnt it?
Michael Vick has a foundation around dogs.
Ray Lewis had a foundation after conviction around domestic violence
Kobe Bryant has a foundation for children.

Do they make great role models? Just because someone brings people to the game they play, does not exactly mean that they should be emulated (role model). And no, I am not comparing anything one has done to another, just using an example of how bringing people to the game and having a foundation does not make one a good role model in my opinion.

I agree. I think Rickie is a great role model for the kids. If I had a teenage son, I'd be happy if he emulated Rickie. His fashion style is not my cup of tea at age 51, but the younger generation loves it and that is OK with me.

CNN is running a story on this now. I understand that some will
Never forgive the guy for what he did. He lost a great deal of my respect with his behavior and choice of women, some were just ugly (I kid) but it happened 3 years a ago. He has taken this long road back to the top and thy only comes from winning.
It may be time to move past the off course issues and celebrate the state of the tour. We have legit contenders to TW on any given week, at least for now. We could be siting on the edge of our collective seats and watching something special this year, I think we are. I think he will separate himself from the pack once again and regain the dominance he once had. I also think we are going to see some epic battles on the back 9s of many tournaments.
I don't have an issue with the statement as a golfer, it's true. He has lived by it and proved it. If you want to take more out of it, you can.
A great read from cnn:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/26/us/nike-tiger-woods

This thought process fascinates me simply because his "transgressions" are the business of no man or woman outside of his family. I still remember this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/02/jesper-parnevik-to-tiger-_n_377882.html from Jesper Parnevik when he suddenly became the moral police.

Everyone makes mistakes, unless you're directly affected by a mistake that someone else makes I don't see the reasoning in judging others for their mistakes.

In defense of Parnevik, he is/was a personal friend of Elin's before she met Tiger. So, it is understandable why he responded the way he did.

Let me 1st say that I am not comparing these examples to what Mr. Woods did, but "judging" is what people do. Its human nature to have an opinion.
Did OJ murdering his wife have a direct effect on me? Nope, still think he is a scum bag.
Did Mike Vick killing dogs have a direct effect on me? Nope, still think he is a scum bag.
Did Kobe Bryant raping that woman (allegedly) have a direct effect on me? Nope, still think he is a scum bag.

I agree on these three points. I'll add John Daly to that list as well. Just don't like the guy. As far as Tiger goes, I was never really a fan before his problems surfaced, and I'm less of one now, but at the same time all of us have had issues or some sort or another. I try not to judge people but as you said, it is human nature that we do. It is also human nature that we but sin at different levels, maybe to make us feel better about our own wrongs, but the bottom line is that all of us have or have had "issues" and are not perfect.

With that said, I'm still surprised at how many people continue to throw stones while living in glass houses. Far be of me to point out Tigers issues. I've done a few things in my 51 years I'm not too proud of.

I think this quote below sums up the ad:
"I think that winning, especially in Tiger Woods' case, really does change things because it reminds people why they fell in love with him years ago. It was for his game and his ability to consistently make those tough shots over and over again. That's why we're in awe of Tiger," said CEO Melinda Travis of PRO Sports Communications, a strategic communications and crisis management firm in Los Angeles.

Who cares about his past?...Its his personal life....infidelity occurs day in and day-out in our society....anyone remember when Bill Clinton was getting Bjs in the Oral...errr Oval office? The most powerful person in the world was cheating and we didn't impeach the guy...

In my opinion, he got married far too young and paid his dues...Elin got the kids as well as a substantial payday, and he has been quite messed up until the last year or so - now that he is back to winning and playing great golf, doing what we love Tiger to do, people still hate him....you didn't fall in love/pay attention to Tiger because of his hot ex-wife or his family choices/decisions - you fell in love with him and are in awe of him because of his Golfing Talent/ability which crumbled after the scandal came out - he has now risen from the dust and is playing great golf - give the guy a break!

Nike knew what they were getting into - don't hate Nike or hate Tiger (The Player)- hate the game....if it wasn't for Golf, we wouldn't even be watching an Athlete like Tiger and he would not be the wealthy individual he is...

Are you serious here? While I love watching the guy play golf and think he is wonderful for the world of golf, saying he is a good role model is a bit far fetched isnt it?
Michael Vick has a foundation around dogs.
Ray Lewis had a foundation after conviction around domestic violence
Kobe Bryant has a foundation for children.

Do they make great role models? Just because someone brings people to the game they play, does not exactly mean that they should be emulated (role model). And no, I am not comparing anything one has done to another, just using an example of how bringing people to the game and having a foundation does not make one a good role model in my opinion.
Ya I was pretty serious. I was just giving examples of why, in my mind, he wasn't a "jerk" and a bad role model. That's all.

The ad doesn't bother me at all be because it is true. If you are winning you can get away with almost anything.

But for Tiger and the rest of the major players on the PGA Tour isn't it all about winning?

But should it be. Winning above all else? It that what I should be teaching my children? Winning is important, don't get me wrong but and this is not a knock on Tiger because I think his record proves he is a great golfer and I think he has done some great things for the game of golf. Winning takes care of everthing is just a message I don't like to see promoted.

I'm indifferent to the Nike ad HOWEVER this TW ad is awesome!!

Lee is great in this commercial.

I really have no issue with it. I think I know where Tiger's mind set is referring to winning. He's always been about winning. Now for his personal life.........that's another story but I think many are past that point.

One more reason I will NOT buy Nike products...

One more reason I will NOT buy Nike products...

Before I just get plastered by the Nike faithful here, please read the article. It's somewhat biased but the point is made nevertheless...

CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE

032613-Golf-Tiger-Woods-DG-PI-FB_20130326153030205_660_320.JPG

Merged with another thread on the topic.

There's already a whole thread about this ad on the forum.

I have no problem with the ad. It can certainly be read in different ways, and perhaps that reveals more about the reader of the ad than it does Nike or Tiger.
I choose to look at it from a golf standpoint and that winning will take care of Tiger's future. It wasn't long ago when there were some saying not only would he never win a major again but that he would never even win another tournament again.

I guess I just don't like the idea that winning is the most important thing.

As a tour player what should be the carrot? These boys play to win, at least most do.

Merged with another thread on the topic.

Thanks for merging it JB, I hadn't seen the AD until just a while ago...

Thanks for merging it JB, I hadn't seen the AD until just a while ago...

Obviously it got your tail feathers up didn't it.. and now you are talking about it aren't you. :) From the Nike POV, mission accomplished.

Back