Are Adjustable Drivers Bandaiding Swing Flaws?

ShanksaloT

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
13 WHS
Now that club companies have achieved maximum COR we are now in the age of "adjustable" drivers.

I guess this really made me think about this since yesterday I went for a driver fitting and when compared to "neutral" "off the rack" results, and after tweaking/finding the shaft I wanted the club fitter got my spin, dispersion, and trajectory right where I wanted it.

I typically play a fade with my driver so I aim down the left side of the fairway and it typically ends up in the middle/right side - which was shown on the launch monitor (about 24 yards left-to-right movement on average) - however, after adjusting the settings on the club, they knocked that movement all the way down to just 5 yards average!

Now I was not a huge fan of anything promoting a draw/fade bias (the moveable weights in the club promote this) - but after adjusting loft/face angle at address, and shaft flex/length, I was very impressed with the results and am a true believer in being properly fitted for every club in the bag. I had my irons fitted but never the driver - this is since I never thought that the Driver needed this adjustment but after reading everyone's thoughts here, I felt why not.....

However, I wondered to myself "am I bandaiding my driver swing?" My opinion is no, because once the club is in motion, I was not using anything to promote a draw/fade bias - I had the weights set for the "neutral" setting - however, I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Are club makers hampering the average player by building a club to "mask" swing flaws?
Do you have an adjustable driver?
If yes, have you tinkered with the settings?
If yes, how many? All? Some?
When using an adjustable driver, do you feel you are compensating for a swing flaw/bandaiding it?
Do you feel you should have taken part of the money on the new club to get lessons instead?

I also would have liked to add a voting poll in this to see how many people adjust their adjustable drivers but didn't see the option.

I don't think so. The difference is that you used to have to hit dozens of drivers to find the one that is best for you instead of adjusting the same one. This is good because it's easier to fit, and easier to change as your game changes. My grandfather was a great player, and many of his old clubs have lead tape on them (old school adjustability).

Are club makers hampering the average player by building a club to "mask" swing flaws?

-No. Most amateur have niether the time, desire, nor money to invest in their swings. In addition, even better amateurs and professionals are using adjustable drivers to get desired outcomes.

-Yes

-Yes

-I adjusted the loft to get a better launch angle. Adjusted face angle to suit my eye.

When using an adjustable driver, do you feel you are compensating for a swing flaw/bandaiding it?

-No, I just feel like I have a driver that launches the ball as high as I'd like it to.

Do you feel you should have taken part of the money on the new club to get lessons instead?

-I do take lessons.

I dont think so, no. No two swings are the same and proper fitting is what allows people to maximize their game and bring the most out of their abilities.
Is it a bandaid to have a putter the proper length?

An adjustable driver will not cure someone's ailments, but they will make fitting far easier for just about everybody.

No. Prior to retail adjustability fitters used similar types of hosels to fit players and drivers. Would it be any different back then buying a glued, open/closed, specific lofted driver you were fit for?

I think adjustable drivers not only make fittings easier, but also make shaft swapping easier, which is awesome for people who like to try different shafts.

Some people may use them to band-aid swings, but does it really matter? I think golf is all about enjoying your time on the course and if one needs to close a driver face 3-4 degrees to compensate and keep it in the fairway then I think that is just fine

There have been draw biased drivers for years, the only difference is now you have the ability to open it back up as your swing improves.

I have played an adjustable driver, and will be using one again shortly. I don't feel like it is a bandaid for me at all. Like others said, it just makes it easier to find the perfect driver for me.

There have been draw biased drivers for years, the only difference is now you have the ability to open it back up as your swing improves.

I have played an adjustable driver, and will be using one again shortly. I don't feel like it is a bandaid for me at all. Like others said, it just makes it easier to find the perfect driver for me.

Forget draw biased, does anyone remember the extreme offset drivers of the early 90s, like the one made by Bullet? You couldn't hit it with a good swing. It would only work with a bad swing.

Yeah, I don't see it being a band aid. I see it helping us get more enjoyment out of the game by allowing us to tinker with settings and find the more appropriate fit for us. Take me for instance. Currently gaming a 910D2. Played it for the longest time on the stock setting of A1 with nice results. Proceeded to put a stiffer flex shaft in and had to tinker a bit before a found a setting right for that shaft and my swing. Currently tossing 3 shafts in and out of the 910 and have found that each one requires me to play it at a different setting to achieve results I am happy with.

Well, yeah they can definitely help compensate for swing flaws, but that's a good thing. More importantly though they make it easier to optimize ball flight for all golfers. And as has been said, they allow you to easily change shafts and also launch conditions based on course conditions and weather.

Most slicers are slicers for life. A driver that helps make the ball go straighter is a beautiful thing.

I don't think so. The difference is that you used to have to hit dozens of drivers to find the one that is best for you instead of adjusting the same one. This is good because it's easier to fit, and easier to change as your game changes. My grandfather was a great player, and many of his old clubs have lead tape on them (old school adjustability).

HAHA I remember in my caddying days and for my Dads old-school clubs - the lead take to "lower CG" or help "close the club face" - lead tape was the only option (or drill holes in the bottom of your wedges)

-No. Most amateur have niether the time, desire, nor money to invest in their swings. In addition, even better amateurs and professionals are using adjustable drivers to get desired outcomes.

-Yes

-Yes

-I adjusted the loft to get a better launch angle. Adjusted face angle to suit my eye.

-No, I just feel like I have a driver that launches the ball as high as I'd like it to.

-I do take lessons.

It took me an hrish to finally find the settings which provided me with consistent results - and I also felt that the sole plate adjustment made it more pleasing as well.

I dont think so, no. No two swings are the same and proper fitting is what allows people to maximize their game and bring the most out of their abilities.
Is it a bandaid to have a putter the proper length?

An adjustable driver will not cure someone's ailments, but they will make fitting far easier for just about everybody.

Thank you for that response - a buddy of mine felt that it is "masking" ailments, which is why I got to thinking about it

No. Prior to retail adjustability fitters used similar types of hosels to fit players and drivers. Would it be any different back then buying a glued, open/closed, specific lofted driver you were fit for?

Honestly never though of it that way....

This makes alot of sense and what I thought the driver would do - give you an opportunity to "grow" into the driver - drivers cant hit the ball any farther - all you can do is improve your swing to generate more clubhead speed, smash factor, etc.

Forget draw biased, does anyone remember the extreme offset drivers of the early 90s, like the one made by Bullet? You couldn't hit it with a good swing. It would only work with a bad swing.

I had a Taylormade "Firesole" offset driver (see below) - still hit a fade with it hahaha...
images

Love the responses/opinions everyone is providing - I agree with all of you after being properly fitted for sure!

No not for me these days. Maybe in the past but I like the simple adjustments like the X Hot drivers where you got the open, neutral, or closed. Get the right loft to begin with and then you have an easy option to swap out shafts if necessary.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement Josh, it makes fitting so much easier for any of us, even if we aren't on tour and just an average joe golfer!

At first I thought adjustable drivers were a band-aid, then I bought one. I found out that the adjustments aren't there to fix swing flaws, they are there to help you maximixe that driver for your swing. That's a big difference. If I slice into the woods on every shot, no amount of tinkering with the driver is going to bring it back to center. But if I have a little fade or draw, want to promote one or raise or lower my ball flight, the adjustments can be a big help to get the most distance possible with my swing.

It's like the old TV's. The fine tuning knob let you get the best picture possible, but if you weren't on the right channel to begin with, no amount of adjusting it would help. That's the way I look at adjustable drivers now.

I've had adjustable and non adjustable drivers. With the adjustables, I typically set it and forget it. With the non-adjustables, I try to buy what is going to work.

I think the advantage of the adjustables is fitment, lower overall manufacturing and inventory costs (for loft adjustment systems like Nike or Cobra) and ability to more easily change the shaft. Otherwise, I don't really see any huge differences.

I also don't think that opening or closing the face 2 degrees is going to do a ton to mask a swing flaw. If your swing is bad you can hook, slice, top or pop up any of these drivers, regardless of how they are set.

With regards to drivers with "soleplate" technology (R11, R11S, R1), does anyone feel that is more for an aesthetic improvement or is it more for shaft angle/flight?

Yes. Except for loft, but you could argue that that was the OG bandaid.

No they only help get the desired shot shape. they will not fix the big slice or hook

I think really it boils down to economics for the club maker. Instead of having to predict how many 9, 10, 11 degree drivers in draw or fade bias to make they can just figure out how many drivers they sell a year. No worries about having heaps of leftovers because you sold way less 10 degree regular flex than you thought you would.

Apart from that yes you can mask some problems with them - absolutely. If you slice it gets worse the lower the loft gets - its that simple. If you can dial some of that out with club set up then you play better, and that's what everyone wants to do.

Are club makers hampering the average player by building a club to "mask" swing flaws? No, nothing is hampered. Flaws are flaws and if people need help then so be it. Also, the game is supposed to be fun so I look at "masking a flaw" as "letting the average joe enjoy the game".

Do you have an adjustable driver? ​Yes I do.

Yes.

I've played with them all and after the first week found my setting and left it.

No, not at all. I feel that I've found a way to fit a club to my swing. I also feel that I now have a club that I can grow and progress with.

No I do not. Lessons are a completely separate and necessary element. If you have the fundamentals of a decent swing new equipment can elevate your game instantly, my last driver purchase certainly did. It also happened to be adjustable.

Not everyone has the time to groove a technically perfect swing, so technically yes it is a bandaid that can allow people to enjoy the game more. Is this detrimental to their overall golf game? Perhaps, but is that a bad thing? Absolutely not!

I think golf equipment, in this case adjustable drivers, are now geared to making the game more enjoyable by 'helping to limit' and not by 'masking' swing flaws. While I agree with all the comments that lessons are important to learn the basics and to get core fundamental flaws fixed, in the end we all have a different swing. Not everyone has time or $$ to pour into lessons to get the long term benefits.

You have to make the game easier and more enjoyable, without making the weekend golfer spend endless hours on the range perfecting a swing. I think the golf manufacturers know this & that is why we are see all the new technology being introduced from GI irons, balls and adjustable drivers.........this spot Arnold Palmer did for Dick's Sporting Goods sums it up as best as you can. Swing your swing and have fun......at least that is what I try to do..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkX6xQM_QE8

Last edited:
I think golf equipment, in this case adjustable drivers, are now geared to making the game more enjoyable by 'helping to limit' and not by 'masking' swing flaws. While I agree with all the comments that lessons are important to learn the basics and to get core fundamental flaws fixed, in the end we all have a different swing. Not everyone has time or $$ to pour into lessons to get the long term benefits.

You have to make the game easier and more enjoyable, without making the weekend golfer spend endless hours on the range perfecting a swing. I think the golf manufacturers know this & that is why we are see all the new technology being introduced from GI irons, balls and adjustable drivers.........this spot Arnold Palmer did for Dick's Sporting Goods sums it up as best as you can. Swing your swing and have fun......at least that is what I try to do..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkX6xQM_QE8

That is a great video - thanks for posting!

I think that the best thing that Adj clubs have allowed amateurs to have options that the pros have with the tour vans for years it makes for better fit clubs

Back