Ping Scottsdale TR Putters - Forum Testing Review

I would be interested in hearing the results from the iPing Cradle you recieved vs what you have gamed in the past, as well.

Got it setup last and rolled some putts. First go was a slight arc and each set of tests after that was reading strong arc. Looking out here, http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=15200&mid=15205 , every single recommendation is a heel shafted putter including some crazy looking mallets but some blades as well. It then asked me what I prefer for sightline and made a few recommendations, I believe they were the Nome for a "strong alignment aid", the Anser 4 for "medium alignment aid", or the Scottsdale ZB S for "minimal alignment aid".

While I tend to prefer a CS for some reason (meets the eye), it would seem that for my stroke a heel shafted putter is recommended. Interesting that the Nome is recommended for all 3 defined putting stroke types.

This is definitely making me think.....would also like to do some on an actual green when I can steal the wife's phone for a bit. I did also go through the nFlight and got similar results.

Got it setup last and rolled some putts. First go was a slight arc and each set of tests after that was reading strong arc. Looking out here, http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=15200&mid=15205 , every single recommendation is a heel shafted putter including some crazy looking mallets but some blades as well. It then asked me what I prefer for sightline and made a few recommendations, I believe they were the Nome for a "strong alignment aid", the Anser 4 for "medium alignment aid", or the Scottsdale ZB S for "minimal alignment aid".

While I tend to prefer a CS for some reason (meets the eye), it would seem that for my stroke a heel shafted putter is recommended. Interesting that the Nome is recommended for all 3 defined putting stroke types.

This is definitely making me think.....would also like to do some on an actual green when I can steal the wife's phone for a bit. I did also go through the nFlight and got similar results.
It's probably recommending the Nome, as it is the alignment aide you prefer, and it comes in all three models; SBST, Slight Arc, Strong Arc.

Have a round on Saturday, will be #3 with the Scottsdale TR, and I absolutely can not wait to get it back on the course.

Going to try and swing by the course tomorrow afternoon and hit the short game area with some focus on working with the putter. Really want to keep working on my longer lag putts and speed control. So far with the TR insert, I find that my speed is typically where it needs to be, but I have had those that were left a bit shorter than I want. I think some time working on the lag putts and speed will really benefit me on the course.

I've been doing my putting at night at home, but haven't been able to make it to the range with good putting greens so far this week. I'm off tomorrow, so going to hit that range's putting green and am playing on Saturday. Worked a couple things out on my swing in practice today so hoping I can put myself in better position to have makeable first putts with the piper come Saturday. I will be sure to have some pics and updates soon.

Had this one out on the course today, adjusted the length prior to the round and it caused some fits, so I went back to my regular length. Took a while to get it going, but started rolling it well.

Will have a full write up this afternoon.

Quick update: 39 putts today. Greens were super slow and bumpy. One of the worst putting days I've had in awhile. I may be doing the rest of this testing from the putting greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quick update: 39 putts today. Greens were super slow and bumpy. One of the worst putting days I've had in awhile. I may be doing the rest of this testing from the putting greens.

Any other courses you can get on to get a better feel for the Scottsdale TR?

Any other courses you can get on to get a better feel for the Scottsdale TR?

The last couple of rounds have been on crappy greens, but even at my home course with solid greens I've struggled. Not sure if it's in my head or what, but when you go from averaging around 30 putts to averaging 36... something's up. I love the putter on distance control, but I haven't made anything makable with it lately. It's really frustrating because I know I'm a good putter.

Just back from playing 9 today. All around ok day for me and ended with 19 putts again. I know I can get this down more with more practice as it's all been me, not the putter at all. I will have a full write up in a little bit.

Just back from playing 9 today. All around ok day for me and ended with 19 putts again. I know I can get this down more with more practice as it's all been me, not the putter at all. I will have a full write up in a little bit.
Looking forward to it, checkered.

Link to previous on course reviews:
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...sting-Review&p=2083296&viewfull=1#post2083296
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...sting-Review&p=2090702&viewfull=1#post2090702

3/30/2013 - Scottsdale TR Piper C Testing
Raspberry Ridge Golf Course Everson, WA
Conditions - High 50's/Low 60's - Not much wind, about 4mph if I recall correctly
Ball - Taylormade TP5

A beautiful day to play golf and an OK round for me. I'm still a little gun shy on going to one of the 18 hole courses around here after playing one that was not much more than a swamp. We're having some sunny days so things should be drying out more for my next round.

Putting was similar to the last two rounds and still better than what I had been doing with the odyssey prior. My main misses today were simply bad reads. Ball speed was doing pretty well except for a couple I totally misread the slope of the green and the ball was scooting downhill faster than I had thought it would. All on me for sure. I continue to be amazed at how well the insert rolls the ball in general and especially on longer putts. It really gets the ball rolling smoothly, quickly.

Hole by hole putting break down:

Hole 1 - 3 putt for triple
Hole 2 - 2 putt for bogie
Hole 3 - 2 putt for par
Hole 4 - 2 putt for double
Hole 5 - 2 putt for bogie
Hole 6 - 3 putt for double
Hole 7 - 2 putt for triple
Hole 8 - 2 putt for par
Hole 9 - 1 putt for bogie
19 total putts

A little better round for me over all, and similar putting to my last outings. The two three puts are where I rolled the ball past the hole thinking it was flat, when it was downhill. Gotta get better at reading putts. I was putting everything to the left a bit today, which I think was me adjusting my alignment after I'd setup thinking I was too far right. I have a couple videos of putts I'm going to review to see if I can see what was up. I will post at least one after I've gotten a chance to see how they turned out and upload.

As far as performance from the putter, feel still impresses me and I love it. As I stated before, the ball really starts rolling well quickly which I feel really helps keep the ball on the line you start it on. I've been much more comfortable with the length of the shaft since I shortened it, and I'm really happy to have been able to do that so easily. Comparing to my odyssey, I feel more in control of my putts. I can more consistently leave the ball in a smaller area, and closer to the hole, than I can with the odyssey.

Overall, I'm really happy how things are coming a long with the Scottsdale TR Piper C. I need to put some extra time in practicing putts from 5-10 feet out as I have found myself a little hesitant on this distance and leaving it short in fear of rolling it past the hole. It's all mental, so I just need to put a little extra effort into these distances. I feel like with a little more work on those distances, I can drop a couple strokes per 9 at least from my total number of putts.

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to put in more time on putting greens at the range and less time at home. I feel good about the work I've done at home, but it's just not seeming to translate well to in game situations. I expected that, but not to the point it has been. I'm going to work on reading greens better as well as the range of distances in putts.

Checkered, great review. Reading things like what you say about the adjustment is great, as you have been able to adjust the length of the putter to improve your overall game on the green. Sounds like you are seeing some great improvement when it comes to putting accuracy. Keep at it dude!

When I first read this post, I was thinking he had 19 putts for 18 holes :bulgy-eyes:! Then with him stating he can get this down with more practice :bulgy-eyes:, made me choke on my oatmeal. I totally blew past the 9 today comment. lol

Thanks war. I'm feeling better and better about things with it and I know that most of my troubles are mental so I'm going to work on that. Heading to the range down to put in some work.

Hahaha OG, I can only dream of being able to putt even close to that.

Scottsdale TR Piper C Testing
3/31/2013
North Bellingham Golf Course Putting green
Conditions - ~60 degrees slight wind

I spent a very productive hour putting on some MUCH better practice greens today. I found what my issues were yesterday was that I was putting the ball a little back in my stance and then closing my shoulders a little to the line I was wanting to be on. I need to slow myself down and pay more attention to my setup and it will help a bunch.

Today's practice I worked on a bunch of 5-10 feet putts and some 10-15 foot uphill putts (my nemesis). After sorting issues with my setup, I found myself putting much better in the 5-10 foot range. I feel pretty confident on getting the ball close with how well the putter feels and rolls the ball, so with paying more attention to my setup I was making more of the putts in this range and the misses were left as tap-ins. Definitely liking the alignment aid a lot at this distance. Inside 10 feet it really helps me visualize the entire line of my putt.

The uphill putt is one of my biggest issues in putting. Even as well as the putter rolls the ball, I've just not been that comfortable feeling how hard I need to hit the ball on uphill putts. I tend to either leave it halfway to the hole, or past the hole a good 5-6 feet. I started off very typical for me like this, leaving my putts short, but consistently in the same place. I spent some time just trying to work the feel of how hard I need to hit the ball to get up the hill then worked on actually putting to the hole. The feedback from the face of the putter was really helpful with all this. I could feel, and hear the difference when I was hitting it well, and when I wasn't. By the end of the practice session I was leaving the uphill putts mostly within 1-2 feet and made a few as well.

I felt the practice time today was really helpful and I'm looking forward to getting back up to this practice green again during the week. Clearly you can all see I'm not a very good golfer or putter, but so far this putter really feels good to me and I feel that the technology put into the face, and the adjustable shaft, really go a long way in helping me putt better, and be able to learn from my mistakes.

This week I intend to get up to this same facility a few different days during my lunch break as well as continue practice at home and in the office. I will most likely not get to play a round this weekm unless I can sneak out early one day, as I've got to take care of some stuff down in Seattle this weekend. If I can finagle a way to get 9 in I will definitely try to during the week, otherwise I'll be shooting for my first full 18 with the putter weekend after next.

A quick video of a couple of the uphill putts. Apologies the person filming wasn't aware how to hold the camera.
Spoiler

Scottsdale TR Piper C Testing
3/31/2013
North Bellingham Golf Course Putting green
Conditions - ~60 degrees slight wind

I spent a very productive hour putting on some MUCH better practice greens today. I found what my issues were yesterday was that I was putting the ball a little back in my stance and then closing my shoulders a little to the line I was wanting to be on. I need to slow myself down and pay more attention to my setup and it will help a bunch.

Today's practice I worked on a bunch of 5-10 feet putts and some 10-15 foot uphill putts (my nemesis). After sorting issues with my setup, I found myself putting much better in the 5-10 foot range. I feel pretty confident on getting the ball close with how well the putter feels and rolls the ball, so with paying more attention to my setup I was making more of the putts in this range and the misses were left as tap-ins. Definitely liking the alignment aid a lot at this distance. Inside 10 feet it really helps me visualize the entire line of my putt.

The uphill putt is one of my biggest issues in putting. Even as well as the putter rolls the ball, I've just not been that comfortable feeling how hard I need to hit the ball on uphill putts. I tend to either leave it halfway to the hole, or past the hole a good 5-6 feet. I started off very typical for me like this, leaving my putts short, but consistently in the same place. I spent some time just trying to work the feel of how hard I need to hit the ball to get up the hill then worked on actually putting to the hole. The feedback from the face of the putter was really helpful with all this. I could feel, and hear the difference when I was hitting it well, and when I wasn't. By the end of the practice session I was leaving the uphill putts mostly within 1-2 feet and made a few as well.

I felt the practice time today was really helpful and I'm looking forward to getting back up to this practice green again during the week. Clearly you can all see I'm not a very good golfer or putter, but so far this putter really feels good to me and I feel that the technology put into the face, and the adjustable shaft, really go a long way in helping me putt better, and be able to learn from my mistakes.

This week I intend to get up to this same facility a few different days during my lunch break as well as continue practice at home and in the office. I will most likely not get to play a round this weekm unless I can sneak out early one day, as I've got to take care of some stuff down in Seattle this weekend. If I can finagle a way to get 9 in I will definitely try to during the week, otherwise I'll be shooting for my first full 18 with the putter weekend after next.

A quick video of a couple of the uphill putts. Apologies the person filming wasn't aware how to hold the camera.
Spoiler

Checkered, another great review on this putter. My biggest issue with putting has long been my alignment and setup. Sounds like you have developed a pretty good pre-putt routine that allows you to get in to a consistent stance. The long uphill putts are something that it just takes practice on. Lag putting can be frustrating at times, as there is nothing worse than hoping for a long two putt and then leaving yourself with too much work to do on a par save. I have found that with the TR my lag putting has been greatly improved, I see that my speed is much more consistent and no longer am I leaving them half way to the hole.

PING Scottsdale TR, Tomcat S
Rosedale Golf & Country Club, Bradenton FL

Links to Previous Reviews;
Review #1; Initial Review & Thoughts
Review #2; First Round with the Tomcat S
Review #3; Round 2 with the Tomcat S

For this round, I had decided I wanted to tinker with the adjustable shaft a little bit to see how it went. In the past, I have had the opportunity to play around with other putters that were longer than your standard putters, but not a belly/chest putter (no anchor points to the body). I have had good success with longer putters (38”-40”), as I feel the weighting of the shaft/grip that extends beyond my hands keeps my stroke nice and even, letting me put a solid roll on the ball down my line.

So, prior to the first tee on the practice green, I decided to lengthen it out. Since I had adjusted it previously to my desired 36” by comparing it to my regular gamer, I figured this would not be a problem. To adjust the putter, simply insert the wrench, turn it a few times until the grip loosens, raise/lower the grip to desired setting, and then tighten it back up. Simply, right?

Well, it wasnt so simple. I wanted to take the putter up to about 39”, the only problem here was that there was absolutely no way for me to tell where that length was. I ended up grabbing another putter from someone, and guessing from there. So, after I found my guesstimated length, I was ready to set it back up. Here we find problem #2 with adjusting it, I had no way to ensure that my grip was absolutely straight, other than tightening the wrench, looking at the putter from a few angles, looseing/adjusting, etc. That was annoying because I kept having the feeling that it wasnt exactly square. So, finally I got the grip straightened out, at my desired length (best guess). Started rolling a few putts and while it felt good, I came upon another problem. The grip is a standard grip, and usually with a longer putter I like to grip down a bit, when trying to do this, I had my hands on the adjusting mechanism, and it was very awkward to try and take a grip. So, I rolled a few, and then hit the course.

Sadly, this experiment lasted about 2 holes. I could not get comfortable with the putter in hand, as it just seemed an unnatural setup. I readjusted back down to my 36” setup (again, a guess on length), and tried my best to square the grip to the putter head, and continued my round. My putting on the first two holes was miserable. I missed a 15 footer that was makeable, and then missed a 5 foot birdie putt that usually would be automatic for me. I knew the Tomcat S rolls better than that for me, and decided quickly to make a few putts, I needed to go back to what I knew.

So, my overall thoughts on the Adjustability of this putter?

1. I think a measuring system with notches or lines would be quite useful on the shaft of this putter. Perhaps make them faint and on the back of the shaft, that way when raising or lowering the length, you can tell exactly what length you are at. When going longer or shorter, I did not know for certain what length I was actually gaming.
  2. In terms of adjusting the grip once you legnthen/shorten the putter, there needs to be some sort of bevel that lets you know the grip is square. I regripp my own clubs, and am fairly certain that I can get my grip on straight, but some might not be and a grip slightly turned could lead to some terrible misses with the putter.
  3. Grip... It is not possible to regrip this putter with a longer grip, so playing it as a longer putter than standard will lead to an awkward grip with your hands, as the adjustment mechanism is right at the base of the grip. Perhaps lengthening the end with the grip would give me an opportunity to have a slightly longer grip, but with the current stock setup, I can not.

• So, after that quick trip down adjustability lane, I have decided that the Tomcat S will stay at my preferred setting of 36”. While the adjustment is nice for those that need a putter that is slightly shorter or longer, trying to came this as a longer (but not anchored) putter just does not work out well.
  • Another quick tip for adjusting the shaft on these putters; do it on the putting green. Dont take it on the course like I did. I threw myself to the wolves of adjustability options, and it just did not work well for me in my round.

After the flirtation with adjustability, I went back to what I had been gaming the Tomcat S at, 36”. It took me a few holes to get comfortable over the putter again, but after a few holes I was rolling it much better, as I have over the past few weeks.

I missed a few short putts this weekend, and that has been a very strong point for me with the Tomcat S. Being consistent with the short putts is a must for me, if I want to score well. I attribute a lot of those issues with the fact that I had just adjusted and readjusted the putter, and was just not 100% comfortable with the putter in hand. Toward the end of my round, I was judging the speed and break of the greens much better and was able to roll in some putts that helped save me some strokes.

Putting Breakdown; 16 front, 15 back, 31 total.
putts3_zps1de5c4c2.png

31 putts on the round. While it is higher than my previous putt totals from my first few rounds, it is still under my average. I left myself with some long putts out on the course this weekend, and some of them were quite the test of my putting game. Still no 3-jacks with this putter, absolutely love that!

Lag putts still seem to be another strong point for me. Gone are the days where I leave the putts only half way to the hole it seems, and I cant be more thankful for that.

Overall, it was quite the learning experience, and I realized that it might be a good idea to get some dedicated putting green time with the Scottsdale Tomcat S. I have been rolling it well at times, but think I am just scratching the surface of my game on the green with this putter.

Great writeup War, got a few things.

I agree, if something it going to be adjustable you should be able to know what you are setting it at. That would be like an adjustable driver with no numbers, or reference points as to what changes you are making.

Secondly, 0 three putts to this point is pretty darn impressive. Keep up the great work.

Finally, what do you think your "miss" is with this putter? I know for me with my Odyssey I was right all the time. Now with the seemore and the tip I picked up on here about setting up to your putt, those days are now gone and im on online more times than not.

Great writeup War, got a few things.

I agree, if something it going to be adjustable you should be able to know what you are setting it at. That would be like an adjustable driver with no numbers, or reference points as to what changes you are making.

Secondly, 0 three putts to this point is pretty darn impressive. Keep up the great work.

Finally, what do you think your "miss" is with this putter? I know for me with my Odyssey I was right all the time. Now with the seemore and the tip I picked up on here about setting up to your putt, those days are now gone and im on online more times than not.
Thanks Mike. Good reference to an adjustable driver without numbers or settings, hadnt thought about it that way but makes absolute sense. Same goes with the grip not being straight, the face will be open or closed and unless you double check it, you may not know.

My miss with this is on the left edge, and usually it's burning the edge. I find with this putter I am dropping my putts in from the left side more than I am straight in the middle, so when I miss, it's slight to the left edge. Definitely something I need to take to the practice green and straighten out.

Very nice thoughts on the adjustability issues War Eagle. Really would have thought that someone within R&D would have discovered those issues and implemented some of the possible fixes you mentioned.

I do like what you were attempting to do with the longer putter and choking down on it for the balance/stroke benefit. I could see where that could help and an adjustable length putter is a fantastic way to test it out.

Regardless of those issues, another solid day of putting for you. 3 rounds with no 3 jacks is an awesome stat, keep at it!

When I talked to the ping rep he said the bevel idea to keep the grip parallel to the face was thought of but the usga would not allow it. Not sure of reasoning but that is what he said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Very nice thoughts on the adjustability issues War Eagle. Really would have thought that someone within R&D would have discovered those issues and implemented some of the possible fixes you mentioned.

I do like what you were attempting to do with the longer putter and choking down on it for the balance/stroke benefit. I could see where that could help and an adjustable length putter is a fantastic way to test it out.

Regardless of those issues, another solid day of putting for you. 3 rounds with no 3 jacks is an awesome stat, keep at it!
You would have thought those issues would have been addressed prior to release, but you would have to wonder if there is a reason it is that way. I had hoped the adjusting it longer would give me a good feel for how it would be to game a longer putter without anchoring it (like the Odyssey Tank), but due to the issues I stated, could not get an accurate read on it.
When I talked to the ping rep he said the bevel idea to keep the grip parallel to the face was thought of but the usga would not allow it. Not sure of reasoning but that is what he said.

That's interesting. Have to wonder why that would be illegal?

He he might have said something about matching the bevel on the graphite and the steel shaft. I will make a phone call and get a clear answer.

Great thoughts W.E on the adjustability of this line. I'm still waiting on my putter to arrive, so I have yet to see the adjustable shaft in person. Not sure how many caught it over the weekend at the Shell Houston Open, Lee Westwood was using a long version of the adjustable putter with a long grip, but he was putting normally with it. I can't find any pictures on line but did find some info;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/28/lee-westwood-new-putter

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/03/30/westwood-goes-with-longer-putter.html

This is a very interesting option for those that are a little taller and could use more length, plus it solves the need for a longer grip that W.E addressed.

He he might have said something about matching the bevel on the graphite and the steel shaft. I will make a phone call and get a clear answer.

Thanks for that, looking forward to hearing what he has to say.
Great thoughts W.E on the adjustability of this line. I'm still waiting on my putter to arrive, so I have yet to see the adjustable shaft in person. Not sure how many caught it over the weekend at the Shell Houston Open, Lee Westwood was using a long version of the adjustable putter with a long grip, but he was putting normally with it. I can't find any pictures on line but did find some info;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/28/lee-westwood-new-putter

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/03/30/westwood-goes-with-longer-putter.html

This is a very interesting option for those that are a little taller and could use more length, plus it solves the need for a longer grip that W.E addressed.
Great links, HG. Thanks for posting those up. I am curious to see more pictures of that putter, now.

Back