Five Warning Signs of Basal Cell Carcinoma

I'm glad you caught it early. Good advice also, something I really should take to heart.

KB thank you for sharing this info. I truly hope you caught it early and hope for a quick recovery!

You are absolutely right all of us need to do a better job protecting ourselves on and off the course.

Timely reminder Kelly. Great that you acted early, but I'll keep my fingers crossed as a precaution anyway! Good job in getting Ole Gray to the Doc too.

This is scary stuff! I wear a hat all the time and put the sunblock on regularly. People tell me I'm going to go bald from wearing hats. My response is bald is fine, skin cancer can kiss my.... Well you get the idea. Thanks for sharing this KB, and I wish you all the best.

Thanks for posting that link Kelly, I would have never known what to look for and those pics are of what many think is just a blemish or something. Im glad you caught it in time and are getting it taken care of.

Thanks for posting this kelly. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully they caught out soon enough and everything will be perfectly fine.

Thank you for the advise. I need to not be so stubborn with sunscreen.

Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope it is nothing serious

Thanks Kelly, and praise the Lord that you caught it soon enough.

All good info here. As one who has had more than a few of the basel cell "c"s removed I can recommend sun screen, hats, long sleeves and long pants.Take a lesson from the Asian ladies on the LPGA tour and cover up if you are light skinned.

KB, I am so sorry you have to go through this but I am glad it was caught early. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for sharing this KB. So sorry that you have to deal with this. I need to remember to wear sunscreen much more often.

Great post KB, thanks for sharing that. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but glad it has been caught early. Thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery!

Kelly - Thanks for posting the link and best of luck in your recovery. I am glad to hear that you caught it early. As someone who has a shaved head, I have become more dilligent about putting sun screen on since my Dad had to have some growths removed. Sun doesn't always shine here in Rochester, NY but have be careful regardless.

I saw a conversation on the Golf Channel on how people tend to forget to put sunscreen on at the house before getting to the course and then don't want to put it on at the course because it makes their hands oily or greasy. I am definitely giving myself more time to put sunscreen on before I leave the house, so I don't put myself in that position anymore.

Thanks again and speedy recovery!

I had something related in 2011. A squamous cell formed right on the end of my nose. A biopsy indicated need for treatment. At first, it was thought that I would need a Moh's surgery where they lop off successive layers until they get down to good tissue. However, the dermatologist surgeon suggested we try a small (2.5 mg) injection of a chemotherapy agent called methotrexate to hopefully shrink the tumor. As it turned out, the first injection shrank the tumor about 50%, so he did a 2nd injection with about 1/2 the amount of methotrexate which further shrank and then later a 3rd injection again with 1/2 the amount of the 2nd. In the end the tumor was reduced to <10% of the original. He did another biopsy to compare with the original and the report was "no tumor seen". So, what I have left is just a kind of minor blemish on my nose and avoided the surgery. He called the procedure 'unconventional', but I did some internet research and it has been reported as successful in a number of cases. Oh, and he said this: “It is important to note that 80 percent of sun damage occurs in the first 18 years of life; therefore prevention should be practiced at an early age.” Well, nobody told me about this way back when, but I have encouraged my grandchildren to be more careful than I was. Hope this info may be helpful to someone.

Glad you caught it early Kelly! Thoughts your way!

Dan

Happy to report I had MOHs surgery to remove the cancer on my nose and only two passes were necessary to get it all. I have an incision that is a little more than 1" on the side of my nose that should heal up nicely. A lot better than all those scary pics that I saw on Google. The Dr said the key is catching it early. They've had to remove entire noses and ears before.

Great to hear.

In lieu of my diagnosis today, I thought I would share this article with everyone so they can be aware of the warning signs of basal cell cancer. I have a very small sore on my nose that has been bleeding off/on for a while now so decided to get it checked out. The biopsy showed it was basal cell carcinoma and I have surgery scheduled to have it removed. I had no idea that it was a cancer. I'm pretty sure I caught it early and will be just fine. I did want to point out to all of you golf addicts like me that you really need to wear that sunscreen! The pictures I've been seeing on Google today are downright scary.

Be sure to click through all the pictures because there are several types and they all look so different.

My mother, my husband, my 30 year old daughter-in-law, and now me have had this and the surgery is no fun.

Sorry to hear but glad you caught it early. I had a basal cell spot removed last year and had to go back and get a larger area removed. I am u

In lieu of my diagnosis today, I thought I would share this article with everyone so they can be aware of the warning signs of basal cell cancer. I have a very small sore on my nose that has been bleeding off/on for a while now so decided to get it checked out. The biopsy showed it was basal cell carcinoma and I have surgery scheduled to have it removed. I had no idea that it was a cancer. I'm pretty sure I caught it early and will be just fine. I did want to point out to all of you golf addicts like me that you really need to wear that sunscreen! The pictures I've been seeing on Google today are downright scary.

Be sure to click through all the pictures because there are several types and they all look so different.

My mother, my husband, my 30 year old daughter-in-law, and now me have had this and the surgery is no fun.

Sorry to hear but glad you caught it early. I had a basal cell spot removed last year and had to go back and get a larger area removed. I was good about putting on sunscreen but a lifetime in the sun with fair skin it was not surprising. I was hoping to be a little older when it happened though.

Best of luck on your surgery and thanks for posting the link. As golfers, it is something we need to be aware of.

Happy to report I had MOHs surgery to remove the cancer on my nose and only two passes were necessary to get it all. I have an incision that is a little more than 1" on the side of my nose that should heal up nicely. A lot better than all those scary pics that I saw on Google. The Dr said the key is catching it early. They've had to remove entire noses and ears before.

Just saw your update. Great to hear.

Glad to hear it looks like you caught it early enough and didn't require too much surgery to remove it

Now put your feet up and tell OG he has to run around and look after you while you recover... :D

Glad to hear it went ok Kelly, you certainly shed some light on a topic that often gets missed. After reading the Newsletter I think the sunscreen wipes will make an introduction to my bag. Thanks for sharing your story.

That is great to hear.

Glad to hear it looks like you caught it early enough and didn't require too much surgery to remove it

Now put your feet up and tell OG he has to run around and look after you while you recover... :D

Are you kidding? OG dropped me off, gave me a Tylenol 3 and he was off to the course before I even batted an eye!

Back