Firefighters Held Hostage

ncrowe83

Reaction score
Handicap
Trees
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/10/5-firefighters-taken-hostage-in-georgia/

This is right across the street from the high school I graduated from, in the heart of the community i grew up in and 20 minutes from where I now proudly serve as a brother firefighter to this crew. This makes by blood boil and terrifies me at the same time. I have always feared something like this more than fighting fire. We have turnout-gear, extensive training and hose streams to protect us from fire. We have level-A suits to protect us from hazardous chemicals, we have PPE(personnel protective equipment) to shield us against blood-born pathogens. We have safeguards against everything we may face, except this. I can not speak for every department in the country but Gwinnett County, along with the county I work for has strict policies against carrying firearms. I have no intention of starting any kind of gun debate, I am simply venting about our complete vulnerability in an instance such as this. All this was over the suspect's home being foreclosed on and power cut-off. I can't even keep my thoughts together enough to continue with this right now. Three fingers of Jameson sounds good though...

This is crazy, sorry to hear the news. Hope all turns out well, my thoughts and prayers heading to the crew.

Hostage situations never get you anywhere. Handle it like a big boy instead of doing something violent, rash, and heartless.

THPing on Tapatalk

Glad they came out okay and glad SWAT took the gunman out.

This is very disturbing. You have to be pretty sick to target those whose sole purpose is to protect you in times of emergency. This is only about an hour from where I live and I am very upset. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the firefighters until they are released unharmed.

Wow, I am glad the Fire Fighters were not harmed.

I've been in some bad situations and a few scuffles but nothing like this. This is probably the one thing we do not train for enough or carry the equipment to deal with it.

I'll just say I'm super happy these firefighters are safe and sound now.

Hostage situations never get you anywhere. Handle it like a big boy instead of doing something violent, rash, and heartless.

THPing on Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm sure it was a rational well thought out decision made by a calm and completely sane person.

I always wear my bullet proof vest on med calls I've been in some very hairy situations. And it happens more than people think. We had self defense class last year after 2 of our medics had a guy walk down stairs with a samurai sword and try to attack them while they were working on a patient.

I always wear my bullet proof vest on med calls I've been in some very hairy situations. And it happens more than people think. We had self defense class last year after 2 of our medics had a guy walk down stairs with a samurai sword and try to attack them while they were working on a patient.

I couldn't help but think of you when this alert came across my phone. Some freaking nutsos out there and your profession puts you right in the mix in more cases than anyone should have to be in.

What another sad story, it's getting way too ridiculous lately!

Saw this earlier. I'm glad they got out okay.

This is nuts. I'm surprised that no one there would have a weapon. This is sad to hear but glad everything seems to be going ok from what I have recently read.

Glad the victims were unharmed and glad police were able to remove the bad guy so he cant do this again.

This is nuts. I'm surprised that no one there would have a weapon. This is sad to hear but glad everything seems to be going ok from what I have recently read.
They are not allowed to carry anything other than a pocket knife, to be used for utility purposes.

we are not allowed to carry weapons on duty. well with the exception of metal clipboards and oxygen cylinders.

we are not allowed to carry weapons on duty. well with the exception of metal clipboards and oxygen cylinders.

hahaha i always keep the O2 cylinder close to me on the bench in the back of an ambulance if i think someone might try something.

hahaha i always keep the O2 cylinder close to me on the bench in the back of an ambulance if i think someone might try something.

They work for self defense quite well, so do monitors but the boss gets mad when you use a $15,000+ machine as a self defense tool. :bulgy-eyes: :bicker:

They work for self defense quite well, so do monitors but the boss gets mad when you use a $15,000+ machine as a self defense tool. :bulgy-eyes: :bicker:

ours are to heavy anyway! i tell you what i learned a lot in our self defense class.... we've had more and more bad situations lately when it comes to that stuff.

I hate to hear this kind of stuff, it seems to be happening more and more, I wouldn't be surprised to see areas go back to public safety departments if this continues.

Alot of our guys like to complain when FD stages for stuff that to us seems silly. Headlines like these are why you won't ever hear me complain about FD staging.

I'm glad you wear a vest Buck, that is smart, and something I don't think any of our guys do. Are they supplied by your agency or did you purchase one?

I hate to hear this kind of stuff, it seems to be happening more and more, I wouldn't be surprised to see areas go back to public safety departments if this continues.

Alot of our guys like to complain when FD stages for stuff that to us seems silly. Headlines like these are why you won't ever hear me complain about FD staging.

I'm glad you wear a vest Buck, that is smart, and something I don't think any of our guys do. Are they supplied by your agency or did you purchase one?

my "going away" present from the police department i worked at before i got hired where i am now.... A LOT of guys i'd say at least half have vests and wear them where i work. but the city sure doesn't supply them and you know how expensive they are. i think its worth the money even if you're in a fist fight with someone it helps to soften the blow.

my "going away" present from the police department i worked at before i got hired where i am now.... A LOT of guys i'd say at least half have vests and wear them where i work. but the city sure doesn't supply them and you know how expensive they are. i think its worth the money even if you're in a fist fight with someone it helps to soften the blow.

It helps with many many things, including car wrecks. It sure doesn't keep you from sweating on a hot day though. I never knew you were on our side of the fence at one point.

It helps with many many things, including car wrecks. It sure doesn't keep you from sweating on a hot day though. I never knew you were on our side of the fence at one point.

kinda hahaha i'm sure we'll be talking over a few cold ones in Myrtle buddy!

ours are to heavy anyway! i tell you what i learned a lot in our self defense class.... we've had more and more bad situations lately when it comes to that stuff.

That they are, I can believe it and situational awareness is key!

Yeah but we aren't the ones with guns and asps and those fun taser's!

We carry vests on our EMS engines and were supplied to us by our department. i have never worn one on a call with my current department but have wished I had one when I worked else where.

I just want to say I'm glad these guys are alive. Dam crazy bastards these days! I can't imagine being in a situation like this.

Back