codybwallace

Reaction score
Handicap
I am picking up some new wedges Saturday. I am in serious need for some extra spin. I know that fixing your swing is best for adding spin, but surely the club has something to do with it. I am really looking for the wedges that will give me the best possible greenside spin.

So I have come to ask my fellow THP'ers to pick out my new wedges. I have made it pretty easy for you by only giving you two choices. I just do not have the availiblity to go and hit these wedges and put them through thier paces. I am very limited on testing venues geografically speaking. I have to drive well over an hour just to look at a wedge, and then I do not have anywhere to really test the wedges.

Is there supposed to be a poll attached to this?

I can tell you right now the 588's will win the poll hands down. However, both sets are very good and it is more of a personal preference.

I just chose the one I would pick. For me, it is based purely on feel and how natural the wedge feels in my hands. I've tried both wedges and they both give me the kind of spin I look for in a wedge.

~Rock

I just chose the one I would pick. For me, it is based purely on feel and how natural the wedge feels in my hands. I've tried both wedges and they both give me the kind of spin I look for in a wedge.

~Rock

So you think they both have about the same spin?

Im going to be the bearer of bad news.
Spin is caused by technique. Good wedges will help. A urethane covered ball will help.
Technique is what puts spin on the ball.
I prefer the feel of Cleveland wedges, because its what I grew up with playing. Made a switch to Titleist years ago and when I switched back, they fit my eye better. Both are great wedges, both will do the job well.

You will hear things like this wedge spins more than that wedge and in theory, it does for different players. This is because of better turf interaction and contact with one over the other. I find that the new RTX wedges do that for me, and because of that I am creating so much spin on the ball, it's crazy.

The truth is, with a bunch of practice, and good fresh grooves, you will see your spin increase. Its not the news many want to hear, but it is the truth.

Now with that being said, good fresh grooves will help create spin in many areas.

Im going to be the bearer of bad news.
Spin is caused by technique. Good wedges will help. A urethane covered ball will help.
Technique is what puts spin on the ball.
I prefer the feel of Cleveland wedges, because its what I grew up with playing. Made a switch to Titleist years ago and when I switched back, they fit my eye better. Both are great wedges, both will do the job well.

You will hear things like this wedge spins more than that wedge and in theory, it does for different players. This is because of better turf interaction and contact with one over the other. I find that the new RTX wedges do that for me, and because of that I am creating so much spin on the ball, it's crazy.

The truth is, with a bunch of practice, and good fresh grooves, you will see your spin increase. Its not the news many want to hear, but it is the truth.

Now with that being said, good fresh grooves will help create spin in many areas.

I know it is all about the stroke. I would love to beable have the stroke that produce the perfect amount of spin on every shot, butthat will take time to develop. I was just hoping by starting this poll, Iwould get a good pool of votes to know which way to lean.

You mention good fresh grooves. The new wedges will have fresh grooves, butwhich clubs have the best grooves. Is this a preference thing also or is theresome concrete evidence one way or the other?

The RTX have been great for me. Cleveland in general makes one of, if not the best, wedges in the industry.

I know it is all about the stroke. I would love to beable have the stroke that produce the perfect amount of spin on every shot, butthat will take time to develop. I was just hoping by starting this poll, Iwould get a good pool of votes to know which way to lean.

You mention good fresh grooves. The new wedges will have fresh grooves, butwhich clubs have the best grooves. Is this a preference thing also or is theresome concrete evidence one way or the other?

The USGA limits groove size now, so they will be similar.

for me they will both be very close i have the SM4 after having the 588s last year it just comes down to what looked best to me and felt better this year i wanted to try and see what the Vokeys were all about and i really liked the weighting and how they felt so i snagged a set.

The USGA limits groove size now, so they will be similar.

I guess I should have been more specific, and it may not have been a "groove" question. Have you seen any benefit from this Rotex face? Do you feel that it increases or helps consistency on spin?

I guess I should have been more specific, and it may not have been a "groove" question. Have you seen any benefit from this Rotex face? Do you feel that it increases or helps consistency on spin?

From the face? No. From the way the wedge interacts with the ground giving me clean contact? Yes.

From the face? No. From the way the wedge interacts with the ground giving me clean contact? Yes.

I honestly think turf interaction has been my biggest problem. When I bought my current wedges, I was oblivious to the bounce. I play a lot of hard turf, and I feel like I will benefit more from a lower bounce.

I honestly think turf interaction has been my biggest problem. When I bought my current wedges, I was oblivious to the bounce. I play a lot of hard turf, and I feel like I will benefit more from a lower bounce.

At a 10 handicap, you surely have a repeatable swing. So I would venture to say that a few degrees of bounce is not going to be too much of an impact on spin. Especially considering the amount of lies amateur golfers play from including rough, bunkers, etc.

I hate to bring it back to the same thing, but if you are playing from hard lies and not seeing the spin, it is 100% about technique, because there is no "stuff" getting in the way of clean contact with the ball (what grooves are for in a general sense).

At a 10 handicap, you surely have a repeatable swing. So I would venture to say that a few degrees of bounce is not going to be too much of an impact on spin. Especially considering the amount of lies amateur golfers play from including rough, bunkers, etc.

I hate to bring it back to the same thing, but if you are playing from hard lies and not seeing the spin, it is 100% about technique, because there is no "stuff" getting in the way of clean contact with the ball (what grooves are for in a general sense).

Looks like I see a new thread about to start, "how to get more spin from the wedge".

Thanks for all of your help. Time to do a little souls searching and swing research. You also may have just saved me a few hundred bucks.

I found the by going to new Vokeys last summer with DG Spinners, I have seen much more control and stopping power, even on mediocre swings. Better trajectory control and better feel help too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like I see a new thread about to start, "how to get more spin from the wedge".

Thanks for all of your help. Time to do a little souls searching and swing research. You also may have just saved me a few hundred bucks.

Now keep in mind, I'm a big proponent in fresh grooves on wedges more than any other club. I change mine every year and have for quite some time. I loved the wedges you have now, but still prefer the new RTX to just about anything I have tried.

I have loved playing the 56* RTX CB, it's an amazing wedge for sure!

Lot of good information in this thread, I'll have to read it again tonight. Thanks JB.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Love my new vokey sm4's. I got lower bounce on mine, but club fitter should tell you what bounce to use, depending on course type and if you are a scooper or a digger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I go ATV, but out of the two I like Vokey. For some reason, I don't get along with Cleveland Clubs. I really want to, but I just don't.

Back