Cell phones with non-replaceable batteries

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
We can merge this in a few days if necessary, but I don't want this to get lost in a thread just yet.

The two phones I am looking at lately, the Nexus 4 and the HTC One, both have a back cover that you can't take off. Which means you can't replace the battery. What are people's opinions on that, and if you have a phone like this, is it really that big a deal?

It all depends on how you feel about being wired in to get a charge.

Biggest complaint and compliment to Android phones are that the battery life sucks, but it's no big deal because you can pop a new one in whenever you need a fresh battery without having to plug in.

So, does it bother you to plug in when idle? if it does, steer clear.

As far as I go, I have a few different batteries for my S3, and I can not remember the last time I plugged my phone in to charge. When I need more juice, I pop a new one in and throw the other on a charger.

When I had my One X, I was lucky enough to be near a charging spot at all times. If you go for long periods out in the field without access, you may want to consider a replaceable battery or see if someone has expandable battery backs like a Morphie Juice Pack.

My Droid RAZR M doesn't have a replaceable battery, and it's never bothered me. I have a car charger and a charger on my desk at work, but rarely have to use either, unless I'm on it for 10 hours straight. I will plug it in when I'm using it as a GPS on longer trips though.

I was initially nervous because on my last Android phone, I would have to pull the battery every few days to reset it because the software would lock up or become super slow, but I have only had this one lock up once, but the designers built in a system where you hit the volume down and power button at the same time and it will force the phone to restart. If I ever have battery problems that require a replacement, it's still not hard to open the phone up and replace it. They say it's not serviceable, but I've replaced the battery in my son's Droid RAZR for him, and it was a piece of cake to take apart and put the new battery pack in it.

It all depends on how you feel about being wired in to get a charge.

Biggest complaint and compliment to Android phones are that the battery life sucks, but it's no big deal because you can pop a new one in whenever you need a fresh battery without having to plug in.

So, does it bother you to plug in when idle? if it does, steer clear.

As far as I go, I have a few different batteries for my S3, and I can not remember the last time I plugged my phone in to charge. When I need more juice, I pop a new one in and throw the other on a charger.

Well, right now I only have the one battery so I have had to put it on the charger a few times. Of course I had my head up my butt and didn't condition this one correctly. I have a new battery on the way but it will be a few days and I don't have a separate charger for it.

In my job I am not really out in the field unless I am at a client's house. I am always arounf a computer, laptop or in my car where I can put it on a charger if needed.

Smalls, I had some of the same concerns when I got my Droid RAZR Maxx. I've haven't had a single problem with it so far, and the battery life is very sufficient.

I also remembered that even with my old phones that had replaceable batteries, I've never replaced one. By the time the battery life degraded to the point that I would have replaced one, I was due for a phone upgrade anyway.

I have a droid razr with a built in battery and I was worried about it but have had no problems.

Small, I don't know if you're into the iPhone at all but if you get a MOPHIE for it, it's the best of a combination of both worlds!

Smalls, I had some of the same concerns when I got my Droid RAZR Maxx. I've haven't had a single problem with it so far, and the battery life is very sufficient.

I also remembered that even with my old phones that had replaceable batteries, I've never replaced one. By the time the battery life degraded to the point that I would have replaced one, I was due for a phone upgrade anyway.
I am leaning that way for now. The phone I have now has a replacement coming, but I didn't condition it correctly like I had with every other phone I had. But I do want to hear the cons about them. The bad reviews tell a lot more to me than the glowing ones.

(I do want to hear the good too!)

Small, I don't know if you're into the iPhone at all but if you get a MOPHIE for it, it's the best of a combination of both worlds!

I won't be getting the iPhone. No real reason, other than I have just started with smart phones, and I am going to stick with Android for now.

Have the EVO LTE and have had no problems with the battery unless I'm in a poor reception area. Even lasts for a round of golf running my app and have about 30% left and can put the charger on it in the truck if needed.

I won't be getting the iPhone. No real reason, other than I have just started with smart phones, and I am going to stick with Android for now.

You can get a mophie juice pack case for the S3 as well.

I have a DNA and iPhone and neither have removable batteries. Doesn't bother me in the slightest

Being unbiased (I own neither), I personally think an iPhone is easier to use for a first-timer.

Being unbiased (I own neither), I personally think an iPhone is easier to use for a first-timer.

I agree. Android has a ton of cool features but it definitely gets cooler the more you know about technology. That's why war has the bangin-est android out there. Because he downloaded a bunch of stuff and rooted the programming and all that sweet nonsense!

Battery life of my Razr Maxx if very good. I have had the phone for well over a year and an unremovable battery hasn't been a problem. It did quit once but pressing all three buttons on the side got it restarted with no problem at all. (other than I didn't know about the restart process at the time)

If you have a removable battery, and don't feel the need to replace it, where is the harm?

If you have a non-removable battery... you are stuck.

I have the One X and don't have any complaints about not being able to replace the battery - the only thing that really seems to eat the battery for me is if I am sat playing games on it in the evening

Other than that, I have got MX Player installed and watching a 2hr film only used about 25% battery life, I can sit and listen to music most of the day at work and that only uses about 20% as well so I can't complain. Even if I did have a low battery I have a charging cable at work and one in the car so it is never a problem to top up if necessary

Doesn't the S3 have a replaceable battery though?
Yes, I have a few different ones. Including a 5400mah battery for it. Longest it has lasted me was 94 hours and 13 minutes...
He currently uses an Android phone...
I agree. Android has a ton of cool features but it definitely gets cooler the more you know about technology. That's why war has the bangin-est android out there. Because he downloaded a bunch of stuff and rooted the programming and all that sweet nonsense!
I agree with this. It's similar to why most nerds prefer to build their own computers, etc. Can basically make it do anything you want.

But this isn't an Android vs iPhone thread. As I stated, I already have an Android and I am sticking with Android. This is a thread about phones with replaceable batteries vs phones without them.

I like having a removable battery simply for the fact that if I am out and about I can just swap out a fresh battery and have a full charge. This is just personal preference for me, I have never owned a phone with a non-removable battery. It is part of the criteria I look at when thinking about a new phone.

I also picked up one of these which is an external battery pack that has a 8400 mAh battery that can be used for charging on the go.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-PGMPP8400-External-sensation-Thunderbolt/dp/B0073F92OK

Good luck with the decision Smalls, let us know what you go with.

I've now had a few previous versions of the iphone and the current 5 and none had a removeable back or battery, and neither bothered me in the least.

Back