Most unforgiving driver on the market?

From reading all the comments what really stands out to me is that the shaft and fitting is very important.

We talk about the best, the longest abs the most forgiving. But I want to know what you feel is the least forgiving. This isn't a bash fest but some good sound feedback.
For me it's the J40. I like the look and so wanted it to work but I feel the misses are so penal in results and feel. To me it's the 'blade' of the driver class. Those that can hit it do so well and the rest are struggling.

I have never hit a J40 driver but I struggled pretty good with a J40 4 wood. I don't have the swing for it, so yeah, I could see where the J40 driver might be tough.

I didn't hit many drivers other than my r11s and I find it to be very forgiving, so I'm not sure about unforgiving drivers.

All of them ever manufactured in the history of the game. I Couldn't hit a driver if my life depended on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

There are old-timers rolling in their graves about us posting all these modern drivers as unhittable for us. Just sayin'.

Ping Anser for sure....I couldnt hit it for anything.

I never seemed to consistently hit Taylormade drivers, probably due to the very limited selection of stock shafts, and the very expensive optional shafts that they offered. Often the shafts were too long or too light for my liking. I seem to "lose" the club at the top of my back-swing because of 50-60 gram shafts and I had no confidence where the ball would go.

I also despise white/silver club heads of any brand.

For me the most punishing driver I've ever held has got to be the Nike Covert. That thing created shot shapes and trajectories I didn't even think possible (in a baaaad way)...ironically I really like the Covert FW's that I have tried.

I would have to say the x hot pro is pretty unforgiving. Hit it on the screws and it will launch a golf ball, hit it anywhere else and you will suffer big time.

Tapatalking from the bottom of the cup.

Pro and tour models are designed for workability and feel, aimed at better players who don't need loads of forgiveness. So naturally to those who need forgiveness, one of them is one of the most unforgiving drivers.

THPing on Tapatalk

I think X Hot or Cleveland Classic.

913D3, It's a love hate for me. You catch it on the toe or heel, no idea where the ball is going. However catch the sweet spot. The ball just launches with a beautiful flight. Right when I'm about to give up on it, I get one of my best shots and then smile and kiss the face, thus our relationship being reestablished.

There are old-timers rolling in their graves about us posting all these modern drivers as unhittable for us. Just sayin'.

Yeah, this thread got me to thinking about a First Flight persimmon driver with steel shaft, it was beautiful but dang near unhittable. I had an ugly laminated Dunlop driver that wasn't so bad to hit.

More recent: any of the light weight drivers with super light weight shafts gives me fits. I spray them way left or way right, seldom in the fairway.

Most recent: The last driver that I just couldn't hit half way good was the R1 but that was a shaft issue most likely.

Anser and X-Hot for me.

X-Hot is a beast for me when I hit it good. But when, not I feel like the ball will go anywhere at any moment.

I just didn't like the Anser haha.

My oldschool Cleveland Hi-Bore was not the most forgiving for me, but then again, I didn't exactly fit it for the way I play.

Usually any driver that doesn't have a tall and wide face gives me fits. I'm up to saying that it could be a mental thing but....

Callaway drivers just don't work for me...not even my Diablo Edge.(good thing I only paid $45 for it...LOL) My 1,000 yr old Nike SQ still rocks.

I'm going with the original Classic for me. Haven't hit the XL yet so can't comment on an improvement until I do.

THPing on Tapatalk

I hit the R1, PING Anser, Titleist 913 and the Classic XL. Imo, the XL was far better than the rest as far as forgiveness goes

Tapa Slice

I hit the R1, PING Anser, Titleist 913 and the Classic XL. Imo, the XL was far better than the rest as far as forgiveness goes

Tapa Slice

That's the beauty of the golf swing and of modern golf equipment. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. Its all about fitting.

THPing on Tapatalk

For me, it's has to be the diablo edge tour. Compared to my old ft-iq and my current driver, it was way to unforgiving.

I havn't gamed many drivers, but for me it was the TM Burner 2.0 TP w/ stock shaft... gamed it for about 6 months and gave up on it... didn't hit many fairways.

Man, the only 2 modern drivers I've hit, R11 and Anser get the most votes for unforgiving. I did find the R11 not as forgiving, but maybe since I just haven't hit anything else, I would have thought the Anser is very forgiving.

I am impressed with how many Anser nods there have been. I didn't see it as unforgiving, I just found it kind of dead. Even on the screws, that thing didn't fly. I felt the same way about the TEE driver, but I think that was more crazy spin on the stock S shaft.

Accuracy wise, I'd probably give either the Fast 12 LS or the Covert the nod. Just didn't work for me at all.

Yeah, this thread got me to thinking about a First Flight persimmon driver with steel shaft, it was beautiful but dang near unhittable. I had an ugly laminated Dunlop driver that wasn't so bad to hit.

More recent: any of the light weight drivers with super light weight shafts gives me fits. I spray them way left or way right, seldom in the fairway.

Most recent: The last driver that I just couldn't hit half way good was the R1 but that was a shaft issue most likely.

Was thinking the same thing as I was reading these posts. I've had 2 persimmon drivers and both required good swings, but the toughest I had was a Taylormade Tour Preferred 7 deg w/ a stiff gold graphite shaft. The head was about the size of the ball...made hitting the 2 iron seem like a PW.

Very interesting thread, looks like pretty much every current driver on the market has been named. Kinda highlights how what will work for one person can be terrible for another.

anyway for me if its current, I would say the 913. I bought one and hit it great when getting fitted but struggled for 4 months with it on the course. I changed it and haven't looked back. I sort of have an abusive relationship with titleist (not just drivers) I love their clubs (probably mainly the looks) but they just knock me around, however I always seem to go back for more.

if it was the most unforgiving I have ever hit, the callaway ft tour comes to mind (although I mainly think that was the voodoo shaft I didn't get on with). Beautiful looking club and when hit well the ball went a mile, but slightly off it would be a horrible mess, although the 913 wasn't much different for me in the end.

Ironically the club I currently game is similar to the ft tour almost a successor to it I suppose However it works really well for me, so go figure? Maybe I have got a bit better at hitting and my swing has changed a bit probably

Anything that is new and light and whippy shaft so pretty much almost everything since that is the new "in". I either loose the club at the top of my back swing or I get scared of the whip in the shaft to cause a massive snap hook that I fight the release of the club and leave it wide open causing a fairway over and 9 mile high push slice.

RFX. I wanted to like it so badly, but it just felt so weird..

Back