3BaysGSA PUTT - Putting Analyzer Review

In a way, I attribute this thing to what was my best putting performance of the year yesterday. While I did miss some putts, I felt like I was going to make every one of them. The reason I attribute some of that to this device is from the information I got during practice and from discussing what I saw with Ted at Seemore.

I was consistently right around square at impact and my attack angle was in a good spot as well, so I guess it just bolstered my confidence enough to make a difference. Pretty cool stuff. I'm going to take it out on the green with me today and work on some lag putts to see how I perform there. That's an important distance for a guy that isn't the most accurate on approach shots.

Thats encouraging news. I would think keeping the putter on a consistant plane with the app wuld help the most for me. I have the most problems taking it back consistantly.

I had some time to do a little more testing the with GSA PUTT last night.

First of all, I wanted to say thanks to TripleBogieTim, because he shipped me an iPing cradle so I could answer a few questions that were brought up in this this thread. I did use both units side by side last night.

I'm going to briefly list some pros and cons here and then will answer any questions you guys have.

GSA PUTT

Pros

Lightweight. It's completely unnoticeable in terms of weight or changing balance on the putter. The iPing cradle added heft to the putter in the spot it connected to the shaft. Does that alter the stroke at all? I don't really know.

Ease of use has to go the GSA PUTT as well, though both are pretty easy to use. With the GSA you literally turn on the device, open the app and start putting. There are a couple more steps involve with the iPing and the interface was a little more confusing to me. GSA PUTT allows you to take anywhere from one putt to 100 and cycle through them all for comparison.

Alignment would go to the GSA PUTT. There is a little dot that you align with the dot at the top of your putter grip. If there isn't one of those, you just align it right in the center of the butt end. The iPing left me wondering if I was squared up correctly.

Information given would go to the GSA PUTT, though the iPing isn't bad. There are a couple more metrics available, video animated replay of your putt, multiple replay speeds, the ability to choose a 'perfect putt' and have it available for immediate comparison with the current stroke, the ability to save multiple putts, a measurement of your consistency, graphs of all the metrics, etc. However, it's not an immediate fitting tool like the iPING in that it won't say you are a 'slight arc' putter that needs an Anser putter.

Cons

The obviousand really only thing I think the iPing wins at is cost. I say that while acknowledging it's a well done app and offers some good info. Just not quite as refined and comprehensive in my opinion.

nice thoughts Hawk glad you got to compare it to the iping cradle i agree with some of the CONS on the iping cradle but for such a lower price point and the amount of time i actually use it i think i'd stick with the cradle. and like you said earlier theres some info that you get that i have no idea what i would use it for of what is good and what is bad.

I'd almost say that goes for the iPing with some metrics too. Like tempo for example. Both have them, but I'm not sure if there's a good or bad tempo. I do know that my tempo is almost always the same though, which I suppose is a good thing.

I think the one thing that would really improve the GSA device is more side by side comparisons with professionals. As it is, there is only one set of putts from a teaching pro available for comparison and our strokes are quite different. I will say that talking to Ted at Seemore did help me decipher things though. It could be a handy and cost-effective thing for a teaching pro to use.

Nice thoughts about this device and have to say I'm intrigued. Looks like it doesn't take the place of instruction but a good way to measure that your staying on the right track.

I'll bring it down this weekend, though we'll need to find somebody with an iPhone. I've been using Erica's.

I'll bring it down this weekend, though we'll need to find somebody with an iPhone. I've been using Erica's.

I have an iPhone we can use.

Perfect.

Good stuff Hawk, I understand all the issues with the Iping cradle...that's the reason it was in my bag for over a year without being used...it's cumbersome and makes alignment difficult and I just never knew what to do with the info it provided.

Yea, it's a good idea. Maybe not the best execution, but I understand the reason they made it like they did.

I think something like this could have been really useful while I was really working on my sPI method.

It's likely coincidence, or maybe due to the specific focus on putting, but I've been pretty lights out on the greens since starting this review. I haven't specifically changed anything with my stroke, but have some metrics and getting positive feedback on them from a professional has definitely raised my confidence level.

Got this one sent off today after some final testing. Neat little device. There are some things that I talk about that would really improve the app in my eyes, especially at the price it comes in at. Still, a pretty cool little gadget if you're into them.

I look forward to the full review

Just saw the review on the front page. Well done Hawk!

The Android version for the PUTT is now available.

The Android version for the PUTT is now available.

Thanks to THP and 3BAYS, it is now in my Android preferred hands, my calves even approve...but that's a whole different story. Can I get a thread bump?

Some great information Hawk and look forward to seeing what this bad boy can provide. Probably more than I can understand, but should be an interesting run.

Packaging is nice and the device itself is so easy to set up and get going. Alignment is a snap and can be tweaked quickly. The light weight of the device goes unnoticed, but I found myself looking down for the blue light. That will go away as I use it more, it transmits quickly and is ready for the next putt in less than 10 seconds. I had my phone on the counter 5 feet away and had no problems.
IMAG1325.jpg

Grabbed a few quick screen shots and a video of the animation it provided me below. There are quite a few more screens and graphs to compare all the shots you've recorded than what I've included. I can see this being advantageous over several practice sessions, but I bet it won't do a summary between those sessions and you would have to go through each putt individually. I can't see myself doing that, very time consuming. I'm sure over time I'll get good numbers to shoot for based on the immediate response it gives. If it felt good, looked good, found the cup, and the numbers match up....progress.
Spoiler
2013-07-17_15-08-45.png

Spoiler
2013-07-17_15-09-56.png

Spoiler
2013-07-17_15-10-03.png

Spoiler
2013-07-17_15-10-36.png

Not really sure what all the information it provides is telling me, but looking forward to understanding it. I purposely tried a few different slight variations with putts and the device captured those vary well. While the data was being transferred to my device I attempted to vision what the path would look like. Was quite shocked at what my mind thought and what actually happened on a few of them. However, I did get a sense that what I felt occurred on a particular stroke was very close to the data that showed up.

Here is a video of what the animation shows you...available on each stroke and switching between the ones you've already taken is a breeze. I'm really liking what I see with the SPi rotation and believe this could truly help me overcome some kinks I'm having trouble getting over. I really like the slower speed options and how instantly this information is provided to you. I did this indoors on my carpet, but I feel that the speed at which this works could really aid in actual practice on the greens.

With attempting to get the SPi method down solid, I think this little gadget will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks again THP and 3BAYS, I hope to be able to get an understanding of the data and how those numbers relate to a real putting stroke in my mind.

Little man and his bud want to go play miniature golf...hmmmm. Yep, taking the z3w and doing some tracking. Will probably get some odd looks, but should be fun...going low:glasses-nerdy::mad-tongue:

Edit: Tracking was very easy, bit too much overload for a putt putt round, but was a fun experiment.

A positive was that I had an idea of what my stroke would look like after each hole...it usually matched the app. Both good and not so good, fun to see if the feel is what is happening.

Last edited:
Thanks to THP and 3BAYS, it is now in my Android preferred hands, my calves even approve...but that's a whole different story. Can I get a thread bump?

Some great information Hawk and look forward to seeing what this bad boy can provide. Probably more than I can understand, but should be an interesting run.

Packaging is nice and the device itself is so easy to set up and get going. Alignment is a snap and can be tweaked quickly. The light weight of the device goes unnoticed, but I found myself looking down for the blue light. That will go away as I use it more, it transmits quickly and is ready for the next putt in less than 10 seconds. I had my phone on the counter 5 feet away and had no problems.

Grabbed a few quick screen shots and a video of the animation it provided me below. There are quite a few more screens and graphs to compare all the shots you've recorded than what I've included. I can see this being advantageous over several practice sessions, but I bet it won't do a summary between those sessions and you would have to go through each putt individually. I can't see myself doing that, very time consuming. I'm sure over time I'll get good numbers to shoot for based on the immediate response it gives. If it felt good, looked good, found the cup, and the numbers match up....progress.

Not really sure what all the information it provides is telling me, but looking forward to understanding it. I purposely tried a few different slight variations with putts and the device captured those vary well. While the data was being transferred to my device I attempted to vision what the path would look like. Was quite shocked at what my mind thought and what actually happened on a few of them. However, I did get a sense that what I felt occurred on a particular stroke was very close to the data that showed up.

Here is a video of what the animation shows you...available on each stroke and switching between the ones you've already taken is a breeze. I'm really liking what I see with the SPi rotation and believe this could truly help me overcome some kinks I'm having trouble getting over. I really like the slower speed options and how instantly this information is provided to you. I did this indoors on my carpet, but I feel that the speed at which this works could really aid in actual practice on the greens.

With attempting to get the SPi method down solid, I think this little gadget will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks again THP and 3BAYS, I hope to be able to get an understanding of the data and how those numbers relate to a real putting stroke in my mind.

The App is updated with a Video Recording feature!

I recently received the 3Bays Putt device from my friend J4U. It was meant to be a lesson in technology as well as a deeper understanding of my putting stroke, and I think both were accomplished nicely last night.

The unit itself is nice and compact, inserting into the top of your putter with relative ease. I had some concern about the longevity of the device with the insertion process, but if a hole is already created in the top of the grip, I don't see this being a major issue. What I didn't like out of the box was how the unit was slightly wider than my grip. This won't impact most people, but I do like to hold the putter very high on the grip, and I felt like I was cradling the device at times.

Setup was a breeze, once I stopped trying to wing it and followed the instructions built into the app. Bluetooth was easy to pair with my phone, and aligning the unit for proper stroke was also surprisingly easy thanks to a small notch in the top of the grip. I'd encourage a bit of tape to be used at the back once the unit is in place, as I did notice it turn at one point making the stroke readouts very strange. Some additional reading on the 'how to use' section showed me when the ideal time was to make my stroke, and sure enough, the app noted swing data being uploaded.

I decided to bring in a PGA stroke to compare against my own. Consistency, tempo, face angle, attack angle, down swing, back swing, and impact speed are registered as numbers, and without benchmarks, meant very little to me. While 3bays does a nice job of explaining each on their site, I wish there was a more clear definition of what ideal numbers would be.

In any case, I found it incredibly helpful to see my stroke. For reference, here it is:

Screenshot_2014-02-26-10-33-18.png

*The face angle represents open (+) vs closed (-) at impact. I like that I was not far off my PGA tour comparison.
*The Attack angle is the vertical angle the head is moving at impact. While I was much closer to my PGA tour comparison on this stroke, I noticed that many of my strokes were upwards of 4 and 5 which could attribute to my inability to avoid the bouncing ball syndrome.
*The green box on the bottom offers a play through of the stroke at various speeds which is nice

Here are some additional numbers from the device:

Screenshot_2014-02-26-10-33-11.png

I like that my consistency was right around 90%. As someone who is constantly working on their putting stroke to find the right method, that's a great number to work for. Tempo was quite good, down swing, back swing, and impact speed were not too far off, just a little bit slower than my PGA comparison.

What interested me about the app was that they didn't align a real "benchmark" for success, more just allow you to draw comparisons to a PGA stroke or your 'best' stroke. I suppose this is similar to going to a GolfTec without the audible resource of hearing why your swing compares to a PGA player and how you can work to improve it.

Finally, I absolutely love that I can see my swing path. I get to see how consistent my clubhead goes back, and can work on visuals rather than assumptions each time I roll the putter. This can prove to be incredibly useful in my efforts to find the perfect stroke for my game. I'll probably hang onto this device through the spring, so if anyone is interested in various aspects of the app or device, feel free to ask and I'll try and get answers for you.

I decided to bring in a PGA stroke to compare against my own. Consistency, tempo, face angle, attack angle, down swing, back swing, and impact speed are registered as numbers, and without benchmarks, meant very little to me. While 3bays does a nice job of explaining each on their site, I wish there was a more clear definition of what ideal numbers would be.

What interested me about the app was that they didn't align a real "benchmark" for success, more just allow you to draw comparisons to a PGA stroke or your 'best' stroke. I suppose this is similar to going to a GolfTec without the audible resource of hearing why your swing compares to a PGA player and how you can work to improve it.

Finally, I absolutely love that I can see my swing path. I get to see how consistent my clubhead goes back, and can work on visuals rather than assumptions each time I roll the putter. This can prove to be incredibly useful in my efforts to find the perfect stroke for my game. I'll probably hang onto this device through the spring, so if anyone is interested in various aspects of the app or device, feel free to ask and I'll try and get answers for you.

Good thoughts Dan and similar to my own. Some of the data is sort of meaningless to me, without a good understanding of what to look for. I ended up reaching out to Ted at Seemroe for a little help on what to shoot for with attack angle for example, but others were sort of blurry to me.

It's a neat device. Better and probably a little more useful to me than their swing device.

Good thoughts Dan and similar to my own. Some of the data is sort of meaningless to me, without a good understanding of what to look for. I ended up reaching out to Ted at Seemroe for a little help on what to shoot for with attack angle for example, but others were sort of blurry to me.

It's a neat device. Better and probably a little more useful to me than their swing device.

Thanks Hawk. I enjoyed reading your thoughts as well as J4U's prior to really diving in too hard into this.

By chance do you have Ted's thoughts handy? I know you mentioned talking to him earlier in the thread, but I don't believe you divulged much.

I'm sorry i don't. I want to say a +3 attack angle or something? I've deleted all those messages unfortunately.

I'm sorry i don't. I want to say a +3 attack angle or something? I've deleted all those messages unfortunately.

No worries at all. Gives me some confidence as I am right there haha!

What's interesting to me is that my follow through it notably less arc'ed upwards as compared to the PGA sample, however my attack is greater in upwards angle by nearly a point. I wonder if that means I am bottoming out in my stroke quite a bit further back than he is.

That is interesting.

One thing I wish they'd do is include a lot more examples, because I didn't find a ton of value comparing to his stroke. I was more of a true arc and it seems like I remember his putter really chasing down to the right of the target line after impact.

That is interesting.

One thing I wish they'd do is include a lot more examples, because I didn't find a ton of value comparing to his stroke. I was more of a true arc and it seems like I remember his putter really chasing down to the right of the target line after impact.

I 100% agree. His stroke really does flow through to the target, and I prefer to let my stroke flow around my buddy. It's very similar to my experiences at GolfTec where they tried to compare me to a PGA pro. I'm not looking to compare myself to the nuances of another golfer. I want ideal numbers that I can work towards.

What I DO think is great, is seeing the line, seeing the consistency factor of the stroke, and learning about upward movement, face angle on contact, tempo, etc. i just wish they were better defined. This app has the ability to be a working putting lesson.

Back