Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Well another day down and I am still having trouble with my hybrid! It really sucks because when I first got it, I had no problems getting it anywhere I wanted. Now I keep topping the ball and hitting thin crap shots! I know it's something in my swing and I'm going to fix it. I hope everyone is enjoying there club to the fullest:)
-Manny M.

Well another day down and I am still having trouble with my hybrid! It really sucks because when I first got it, I had no problems getting it anywhere I wanted. Now I keep topping the ball and hitting thin crap shots! I know it's something in my swing and I'm going to fix it. I hope everyone is enjoying there club to the fullest:)
-Manny M.

Top - Thin ??

Quit trying to help the ball in the air, the club will do that for you. TRUST ME!! This club has absolutely NO PROBLEM with trajectory. I mean NONE AT ALL... (wait a minute, you know that!)

Seriously, it's your swing dude. Get your Angle of Attack in the minus category and you'll be fine.

After yesterday I'm feeling like sending this back to THP HQ for the outing might be a little difficult. I'm going to call it my crutch hybrid. It's the perfect club for the times when I feel like I'm slumping. Shallow face gives me a lot of confidence off the turf and it just reacts well to a lazy swing for me. Stock shot yesterday was a perfect (to me) little push draw. Nothing extremely long or anything. Just high and at the target from some funky spots and the fairway. The approach shot I took with it on the 9th hole yesterday was directly responsible for setting me to make the birdie I ended up with.

The one miss I had with it yesterday was from the fairway and I hit it heavy. Slid right into the ball and still got up in the air with a good shot shape. It was one of those shots that your playing partner says is going to be good, but you know will be short. In the end, I was 5 yards short of the green, so not a bad miss at all.

During what could potentially be considered the most miserable nine holes I've ever played, the XHot hybrid was actually the only club that I could count on last night.

The last hole of the night was a short par 5, and a sweeping slice that caught a nice roll left me with 260 out. I hit the 3H and caught the only pure contact of the night. Dead solid 210 yards, leaving me with 50 yards and three shots to make par. Carded a 7.

What the hell? Did my post from last weekends 2 rounds didn't show. Maybe I didn't hit post?

After yesterday I'm feeling like sending this back to THP HQ for the outing might be a little difficult. I'm going to call it my crutch hybrid. It's the perfect club for the times when I feel like I'm slumping. Shallow face gives me a lot of confidence off the turf and it just reacts well to a lazy swing for me. Stock shot yesterday was a perfect (to me) little push draw. Nothing extremely long or anything. Just high and at the target from some funky spots and the fairway. The approach shot I took with it on the 9th hole yesterday was directly responsible for setting me to make the birdie I ended up with.

The one miss I had with it yesterday was from the fairway and I hit it heavy. Slid right into the ball and still got up in the air with a good shot shape. It was one of those shots that your playing partner says is going to be good, but you know will be short. In the end, I was 5 yards short of the green, so not a bad miss at all.
Seems to be a consistent miss for me as well, thankfully it is not penalizing at all.

Didnt see it buddy.

I did it yesterday after work. Must have failed to hit reply. Son of a... I'll type it back up when I get back home! Only about 3 more hours in the car.

During what could potentially be considered the most miserable nine holes I've ever played, the XHot hybrid was actually the only club that I could count on last night.

The last hole of the night was a short par 5, and a sweeping slice that caught a nice roll left me with 260 out. I hit the 3H and caught the only pure contact of the night. Dead solid 210 yards, leaving me with 50 yards and three shots to make par. Carded a 7.

I'm telling you - this is the slumpbuster club.

Seems to be a consistent miss for me as well, thankfully it is not penalizing at all.

Very good on that miss. One of the best I've hit really.

Alright Guys, figured it was time to get my thoughts up.

Date: 4/28/2013
Weather: 70 with minimal wind, perfect walking weather
Purpose: Test the X-Hot Hybrid for the first time

Well I woke up on Sunday very eager to get out on the course and try this thing. We got to the course about 45 minutes early so I grabbed a small bucket of balls and hit a few wedge shots and then pulled out the X-Hot. I really like the looks of this thing. The matte crown sets up nicely, and no alignment aid doesn't bother me at all. At address the clubface doesnt really looked closed to me like I thought it would. The first 3-4 swings were pretty decent sized hooks, and I was starting to get worried, this wasnt what I was seeing at Golfsmith. I took a step back and relaxed and focused on swinging with the shoulders as opposed to the arms/hands and all of a sudden a BULLET. This thing launches the ball pretty high, but man is it straight. I hit about 8 in a row all at the 220 sign nice and straight.

I was able to hit this 4 times on the course. 2 off the tee and 2 off the deck. The 2 off the tee were nice draws that found the fairway. The 3rd was my second shot on a Par 5 that drew too much on me and ended up off the green to the right and then fourth I caught a bit chunky, but it went straight with a little distance loss.

In one short stint with this thing I am really enjoying it. I hope to get out again soon and hit it. I can see this thing being very useful for me on Short Par 3s as well as tighter Par 4s and long approach shots.

Last edited:

Date: 5/28/2013

Well I woke up on Sunday very eager to get out on the course and try this thing. We got to the course about 45 minutes early so I grabbed a small bucket of balls and hit a few wedge shots and then pulled out the X-Hot. I really like the looks of this thing. The matte crown sets up nicely, and no alignment aid doesn't bother me at all. At address the clubface doesnt really looked closed to me like I thought it would. The first 3-4 swings were pretty decent sized hooks, and I was starting to get worried, this wasnt what I was seeing at Golfsmith. I took a step back and relaxed and focused on swinging with the shoulders as opposed to the arms/hands and all of a sudden a BULLET. This thing launches the ball pretty high, but man is it straight. I hit about 8 in a row all at the 220 sign nice and straight.

I was able to hit this 4 times on the course. 2 off the tee and 2 off the deck. The 2 off the tee were nice draws that found the fairway. The 3rd was my second shot on a Par 5 that drew too much on me and ended up off the green to the right and then fourth I caught a bit chunky, but it went straight with a little distance loss.

In one short stint with this thing I am really enjoying it. I hope to get out again soon and hit it. I can see this thing being very useful for me on Short Par 3s as well as tighter Par 4s and long approach shots.
High and straight! Gotta love that, Tex. Exactly what I see the majority of the time with it. It will become a clutch club for you, no doubt.

Love the review and seeing another person love it. Also love how you can see the future with that date being 26 days from now lol :alien:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

This hybrid is so awesome it lets you play in the future!!!

I just couldn't resist the opportunity to give you a little ribbing. I think it's awesome that you picked one up and it's working out for you.

Okay, I don't know that I could remember all the shots from the 2 rounds that I played last weekend, so I'm not going to try to give you a per-hole recap (again!) of my use with the X-Hot. There are, however, a few things I really love about this club that I want to talk about. More actual per-hole analysis will be provided following my weekend of golf here in Atlantic City.

Versatility - This is the best damn part. My course at home is still getting back into shape after the winter months here in PA. That being said, I've seen all kinds of different lie options on the golf course. Hard pan lie, soft and wet grass, thick rough, wet and dry sand, low rough, tall rough, and everything in between. I can honestly say this club performs EXACTLY the same way no matter where you are playing from. I'm not sure if it's the sole of this bad boy that aids in it's versatility or what, but it just simply works. Everywhere. Every time. A good swing always produces a great result.

Easy to Hit - Un. Freaking. Believable. Never have I been able to hit a hybrid with so much easy. This sucker is long and straight just about every time. This instills such an awesome amount of confidence. I've been playing this club from everywhere on the course and I love how easy it is to get the ball not only on my intended line, but also up in the air. I know that's been talked about a lot already, but damn is the flight on this club unreal! I've given a few of the guys I play with a chance to swing this club and all of them have hit it exactly the same: long, straight, and high. Even the ones who swore off hybrids.

Feel - Another area that really shocked me. My previous hybrid (Adams IDEA a12 Pro) felt like I was hitting golf balls with a brick. I could never tell where I was hitting the ball in relation to the club face. The X-Hot is the exact opposite. I put some impact tape on it last week in our practice round just to see how I was hitting the ball. I was able to call exactly where I was hitting the ball in relation to the face without ever having to look at the tape. For me, this is really important because I make adjustments on a per-club basis based on where I'm hitting the ball in relation to center.

Flight
- Do I really have to say it? Long and straight. Ever. Damn. Time. Enough said. Though I have been noticing a tendency for fades when I'm hitting it off the toe. That, however, is mostly a result of a poor swing.

The one thing I can't rave about enough is how confident I feel standing over this club. I've found myself pulling the club on a lot of par 4's lately just because I know if I put a good swing on it, I'll make the fairway with little to no issue. I'm hitting the club about 215 right now, but that's in the cool air we've had in north central PA thus far.

Also, this thing is unreal from fairway bunkers. This is one area that really impressed me. I've played 2-3 shots from fairway bunkers so far and every single one has been an easy out with this hybrid, which usually isn't an easy shot for me to play (the long fairway bunker shot). I feel like the sand isn't even present during the swing, even when I'm getting a sand with the swing.

Now, I have 2 days of golf ahead of me and I'm really excited to see how this performs on courses that are a lot more demanding of your tee ball than my home course is!

Last edited:
My 20* pro just came in today after being back ordered for a few weeks. Can't wait to try it out on Sat. I never tried it out, didn't like the SF rescue I had and after all of these reviews I just had to order one.

My 20* pro just came in today after being back ordered for a few weeks. Can't wait to try it out on Sat. I never tried it out, didn't like the SF rescue I had and after all of these reviews I just had to order one.

You'll be very happy. The Pro version's trajectory may be a touch lower than the non-pro but other than that you will appreciate the length and ease of launch. The face is HOT, from heel to toe all you have to do is make contact. The ball comes off fast and they are unbelievably forgiving.

Congrats on your purchase and tell us about your experience(s)...

If it is anything like the xhot 3wood then I will be very happy with the results.

It flows well with my iron setup right now, actually. going from 5i to 3h is interesting for me, but the distances are covered, so I am not worried.

Interesting. Why'd you choose that rather than 5i, 4h?

If it is anything like the xhot 3wood then I will be very happy with the results.

The X Hot fairways are VERY nasty beasts. I wouldn't quite classify the Hybrid in that domain. I would say this, if the X Hot fairways are Tigers then the hybrids are definitely it's cubs...:D

Its probably just me, but does anyone hook this hybrid when swinging 100% and trying to get a few more yards? It happened to me twice today with the 3h (lost one OB). It does look a bit closed at setup.

An easy swing later in my round had a slight draw. No way this club goes right!

Its probably just me, but does anyone hook this hybrid when swinging 100% and trying to get a few more yards? It happened to me twice today with the 3h (lost one OB). It does look a bit closed at setup.

I had it happen a few times but thats just what usually happens when I swing 100%. With that said, you really dont need to do it much with this club. When people say "let the club do the work for you", I think they were talking about this club.

Back