Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Nice work Sharkman! This really is a great club for you in so many different situations on the course.

Sounds like what a hybrid should be good at. Enabling golfers to hit the 200 mark with ease. I like the anecdotes on workability and out of the rough too, things people think may be lost with hybrids compared to long irons. I think it helps more than it hurts, although after I switched off them I haven't switched them in my bag as my swing has improved. Might look to put 1 or 2 in the bag to help with the consistency.

UPDATE: New round played and used the XHot hybrid to give me some easy yards :)
I played 9 holes last Friday 5/3/13 at Desert Aire golf course around 9am. I only got to use the Club twice due to the smaller holes and only 2 par 5's on the course. Unfortunately I still did not get a solid hit with either shot. I think it's primarily due to getting back into course play. It's a whole different species from the range. Ill list the 2 holes and what I experienced from it. Sorry for the late posting.

Hole #1
This hole is a par 5 and sits practically dead straight from the Tee box to the pin. I took my first swing and hit a small hook on the ball which left me about 250 yards to play from behind a tree! I had no shot to the pin so I used my 56* to hit it Right Handed out to the fairway. After that I was sitting nicely in the fairway. I decided I could use my hybrid because I didn't want to overshoot the hole. I took my swing and what do you know, I hit a thin shot that skid all the way down the fairway and came up short with about 50 yards to play. I don't know how to get the nerves out when I hit shots like that. It truly breaks my confidence. Well I got to the ball and chipped it short. I chipped again and then the ball rolled too much and just to the back of the fringe. I then 2 putted and tried to keep my head high, but that first hole screw up always hurts.

I played my round and did pretty decent with some mistakes on the Tee box again. I kept hooking the ball and I believe it was due to my backswing. I am pretty sure that I have it figured out now:)

Hole #9
So hole 9 is also a par 5 and not much of a struggle ( at least it shouldn't be).
Well I drove the ball rather well with the exception to a slight draw that went too much to the right for me. Luckily It was still sitting in the fairway for me. This time I was around 220-230 out from the pin. I decided to bring out the XHot and give it a wack! But once again my shot was thin and skid all the way down to the right of the fairway. I chipped but unfortunately my shot came up short. So I had to give it another go. I was on the green and 2 putted for a bogey. That was the end of my round and I was still happy because I played better than my previous.

Some things that I need to work on are my nerves while on the course because I tend to let my jitters take over sometimes. I just need to swing easy and let the club do the work. I know their is hope and I will get it fixed. I'm hoping to get out this week and play a round again.

If anyone is willing to look at my swing with the XHot, please let me know and ill be glad to share it with you.

Cali - I would love to take a look at your swing- specifically your ball position and setup.

Cali - I would love to take a look at your swing- specifically your ball position and setup.

Sounds good bud. I appreciate it very much. Ill try and get a video out today

Alright Guys, I got an update for you. Even though I am not a tester, I am really enjoying this thing.

Date: 5/9/2013
Weather: Clear and 65 Degrees

Well Heart of America is the perfect course for me to get some Xhot Hybrid action in. Multiple short Par 4s that set up perfectly for this thing, so in 18 holes I actually got to use it 5 times off the tee.

Here are my results:

Hole 1 (Twice, it is a 9 hole course I played twice): First shot of the day, with no warmup. It is a 260 yard Par 4 and sometimes I will hit 3-wood, but without any warmup and wanting to use this club as much as possible, I decided to use the 4H. I grabbed it and put a nice smooth swing which produced a high baby draw that landed in the fairway 45 yards from the green, GPSed 214 yards. That is about the average distance I am seeing with the club and a high baby draw is the ball flight I love with this thing.

Hole 1 Part Deaux: This was my 10th hole of the day and I decided to pull it again. I aimed down the left side of the fairway and didn't put the best swing on it and it turned left on me into the rough. It GPSed 205 yards because I didnt get any rollout due to the thick rough.

Hole 4: #4 is a 250 yard Par 4 with a big tree in the middle of the fairway about 200 yards. I grabbed the Hybrid and blasted one that went up over the tree and left me a short chip into the green. It GPSed 220 yards and cleared the tree with ease.

Hole #5 (1st Time): This hole is only 215 yard Par 4 and has big trees on both sides with a small area in between if you want to go for the green. First time I drew it too much into the tree and it dropped right below it. Only went 185 yards due to hitting the tree.

Holy #5 (2nd Time): Second time I smoked it, dead straight and high and it landed on the green! This is one of very few times I have hit this green in 1 and I had a 15 foot putt for eagle that I missed, but still snagged the birdie.

So in 5 Times I hit the fairway/green 3 of times, and my two misses weren't bad. I average right around 215 yards with this thing, which like I said before is my average. I am absolutely loving this thing. It is easy to hit and it goes high and straight, sometimes a bit of a baby draw. I can say that I have never felt this comfortable with a 4H in my hand before, and I love puling this club as often as possible.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Good job Taylor. I am struggling with tee height. Ryan had mentioned earlier about teeing it really low. I ended up just hitting it off the deck from the tee box. Are you teeing it up?

Good job Taylor. I am struggling with tee height. Ryan had mentioned earlier about teeing it really low. I ended up just hitting it off the deck from the tee box. Are you teeing it up?

Yes, but it is like I tee up an iron, super low almost like not even teed up.

Yes, but it is like I tee up an iron, super low almost like not even teed up.

Yeah, I tried that and failed miserably. Maybe its just a mental block for me. Never had a problem hitting a hybrid off the tee before.

Yeah, I tried that and failed miserably. Maybe its just a mental block for me. Never had a problem hitting a hybrid off the tee before.

Very odd? So you always just hit off the deck?

Very odd? So you always just hit off the deck?

My round last weekend, I started off teeing it up but was hitting low line drives for some reason. Decided to just hit off the deck and hit it much better. Cant figure it out. Hit it great from everywhere else.

My round last weekend, I started off teeing it up but was hitting low line drives for some reason. Decided to just hit off the deck and hit it much better. Cant figure it out. Hit it great from everywhere else.

This thing is a beast, I know that.

I literally put the tee so far in the ground it looks like there isn't a tee at all.

I tee mine exactly like an iron as well, so low you barely notice there's a tee there at all. I swing just like I'm taking it off the deck.

I tee mine exactly like an iron as well, so low you barely notice there's a tee there at all. I swing just like I'm taking it off the deck.
Yup. This exactly. I even get a divot like it's off the deck.

Well I guess its just me sucking like I figured.

I take a decent size divot, but it doesnt surprise me because I even take divots with my woods
Same here. Divots across the board. Though the divots with the X-Hot are a lot smaller and I think it has to do with the sole of the club going so smoothly through the turf.

Same here. Divots across the board. Though the divots with the X-Hot are a lot smaller and I think it has to do with the sole of the club going so smoothly through the turf.

Agreed. I love that sole. It doesn't have those rails like the Mashie, but it is just as easy to hit from everywhere. I honestly cannot find much to complain about.

It is high, straight, and the sound is awesome. Very versatile. It isnt the longest hybrid Ive hit, but I have confidence to hit it from anywhere

Well I guess its just me sucking like I figured.

No no no Dev. It probably is a mental thing dude

I agree with Taylor. If you can take it off the deck, you can take it off a tee. When I tee a hybrid too high (or when I put a bad swing on it), I end up with a moon shot squib that goes nowhere.

Tex, that was a good update dude. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here.

Quick question for you about your round; If the Xhot wasnt in the bag, what club do you usually play there? Is it another hybrid or a fairway? And, if it's a fairway, do you pull the Xhot hybo in favor of it due to how reliable it has been for you?

I just traded my M2 and M4 for an XHot 21* 3H, regular shaft. I hit a bunch of different 3H in 2 stores, as follows:

Stage 2 - I had trouble getting it in the air, and was less than consistent with it. My single longest shot of the day was this club, by a good 7-8 yards, but that was a freak occurance.
Fybrid - based on someone's recommendation elsewhere. Hated it.
G25 - first store didn't have any, so only hit it at the 2nd store. I did hit a couple of nice ones, and it's obviously forgiving. I found the swingweight a little heavier than I like, which led to chunks or shots towards the hosel. (((Coincidence or not, when I was recently shopping irons, I also had way more difficulty than would be expected hitting the G25s. Ended up going i20s)))
XHot - I was worried the shaft (R) would be as whippy as the 3W XHot, but it's not. It's easy to get in the air, very forgiving, and long - 2nd longest to the Stage2, and wayyyyy more consistent *for my swing*. Also more consistent than my M4, which I took in for warmups and comparisons, even though they aren't the same loft, so I wasn't comparing straight up distance. I prefer a lighter swingweight, feel it helps me generate needed speed and deliver the head to a more consistent spot at contact. I don't feel like I lose sense of where the head is during the swing, honestly I probably don't have the game to worry about that particular aspect.

I really like the Warbird type sole, I tend to be a bit of a sweeper who occasionally gets it fat, so the flatter sole profiles, if I get too deep on them they stop really harshly. With the 'pointed' warbird sole, I get much less resistance and much better contact. This is equally true of the 3H and of the 3W, both of them really launch the ball for me.

Last edited:
Back