Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

I don't know why I was so nervous about this driver a couple months back. The low spin made me a little nervous, but I was completely wrong. I paired it with the perfect shaft for my game, I got the exact flight characteristics I was looking for.

I had a iffy driving day today....8/13 fairways....I did hit some bombs with it, but I started getting a little quick in the transtion and that brings out the pull hook.

I did hit 2 today that I measured over 290...including one on a 375 yard par 4 where I usually have 6 or 7 iron into the green....well today I had a 3/4 sand wedge!

As long as I keep a good tempo this driver is money....quick a little quick and it's "Duck Hook season"

It is really going to be tough pulling this club out of my bag this year.

Had a great day driving the ball on my round of 18 on Saturday. Mis hits are still a fade to the right, but it is not that high cut that ends two fairways over. I am in the area of 225-240 with this driver and that is perfectly fine with me. My iron game has been rock solid lately so those drive have set me up perfectly. I had a less than stellar day driving the ball yesterday on the front nine, but picked it up to hit all 6 fairways on the back (which may have been the reason I went from a 50 on the front to card a 40 on the back). I am really enjoying this driver though. As I continue to tweak and get used to this thing, I know good things are gonna come!

Had a great day driving the ball on my round of 18 on Saturday. Mis hits are still a fade to the right, but it is not that high cut that ends two fairways over. I am in the area of 225-240 with this driver and that is perfectly fine with me. My iron game has been rock solid lately so those drive have set me up perfectly. I had a less than stellar day driving the ball yesterday on the front nine, but picked it up to hit all 6 fairways on the back (which may have been the reason I went from a 50 on the front to card a 40 on the back). I am really enjoying this driver though. As I continue to tweak and get used to this thing, I know good things are gonna come!

Sounds good!!!! Love the positive attitude you have going!!

Sounds good!!!! Love the positive attitude you have going!!

It just is practice. It has made such a huge difference for me. The confidence level in my game is the highest its ever been.

Had a really nice range session with this driver and saw its true potential. I started off hitting some really nice shots that had very little movement on them. The cool thing that I can do with this driver is flight it low if I really need to do that, but I can also launch it fairly high on a standard shot. Then I got a little cocky and decided to try to do some shotmaking, and was actually pulling it off. Mid-flight draw? Check. "Fall off the table" fade (in Tadashi voice)? Check. Anyone that has played with me knows that I struggle to fade anything, so being able to hit that shot off of the tee with regularly will be nice for holes with trouble down the left.

The thing that really helped me out was just trusting the club. One of the pros at the range came up behind me when I was hitting this club and told me not to try to hit it as hard as I could on every swing. He told me to just try to hit it and feel like I was taking an 80% swing, and when I started doing that, the ball was jumping off of the face. When you hit this driver on the center of the clubface, it just feels like there is a ton of mass behind the ball that is going to deliver a good bit of ball speed. I'm going to try to play 18 holes tomorrow, I'm excited to see what happens.

Had a really nice range session with this driver and saw its true potential. I started off hitting some really nice shots that had very little movement on them. The cool thing that I can do with this driver is flight it low if I really need to do that, but I can also launch it fairly high on a standard shot. Then I got a little cocky and decided to try to do some shotmaking, and was actually pulling it off. Mid-flight draw? Check. "Fall off the table" fade (in Tadashi voice)? Check. Anyone that has played with me knows that I struggle to fade anything, so being able to hit that shot off of the tee with regularly will be nice for holes with trouble down the left.

The thing that really helped me out was just trusting the club. One of the pros at the range came up behind me when I was hitting this club and told me not to try to hit it as hard as I could on every swing. He told me to just try to hit it and feel like I was taking an 80% swing, and when I started doing that, the ball was jumping off of the face. When you hit this driver on the center of the clubface, it just feels like there is a ton of mass behind the ball that is going to deliver a good bit of ball speed. I'm going to try to play 18 holes tomorrow, I'm excited to see what happens.

Good stuff Amol, this driver really likes that smooth tempo!!

I played 18 this afternoon and was just killing the driver....several drives measured over 270 and a couple over 280 which is huge for me considering I average 250 off the tee normally.

The great thing about it is I think this driver has made the rest of my game better because of tempo...I am hitting everything flush right now...it's a great feeling!

I gotta be honest boys, the way I am hitting this driver is throwing a wrench into everything.

I was only going to order a 3 wood then go straight into irons, but this shaft is just so good to me that I am pondering a 5w. Its so good its screwing me up!!

I'm the black sheep in the group when it comes to this driver. Not sure what in the world im doing but I cant seem to keep the ball in the air with this thing. I know its a spin killer, but that paired with the mid-high launch attas should yield me better results than Im seeing.

Thought it was my swing so I hit the Classic Driver with the J40 on 4 holes yesterday and the classic was better for me all 4 times.

Hopefully just a learning curve

I gotta be honest boys, the way I am hitting this driver is throwing a wrench into everything.

I was only going to order a 3 wood then go straight into irons, but this shaft is just so good to me that I am pondering a 5w. Its so good its screwing me up!!

I kind of like that idea dude. For me, I'm going with the 3+ and then 2/3/4H

What flex code did you go with in the Attas? S?

I'm the black sheep in the group when it comes to this driver. Not sure what in the world im doing but I cant seem to keep the ball in the air with this thing. I know its a spin killer, but that paired with the mid-high launch attas should yield me better results than Im seeing.

Thought it was my swing so I hit the Classic Driver with the J40 on 4 holes yesterday and the classic was better for me all 4 times.

Are you seeing mid flight lasers or is the ball just not staying in the air long enough? I definitely do not see a high flight with the Attas combo

What flex code did you go with in the Attas? S?

6S as recommended by the Bfit fellas

Hoping its just me needing to warmup to it thats all

Are you seeing mid flight lasers or is the ball just not staying in the air long enough? I definitely do not see a high flight with the Attas combo

Mid flight at best, not sure if Id call it a laser as the flight doesnt look or feel like a penetrating one and the distances have been sub-par at best.

Now in July in Myrtle those suckers may roll forever which might not be all that bad worse case

I kind of like that idea dude. For me, I'm going with the 3+ and then 2/3/4H

I was originally slated to go

D, 3w, 3i, [3i, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, pw,] 54, 56[bent to 58]
.......................[3* weak]

But now Im wondering if I dont bend them all 3* weak, maybe just 6-pw 3* weak, 5i 2* weak, 4i 1*weak, and 3i stock.

I'm finding this driver very hard to like as well.

I thought attas was a low spin shaft? Low spin head+shaft is no bueno.

Im naive when it comes to shafts, relied on bfit and some feedback here, so Im sure you know way more about them than me

Mid flight at best, not sure if Id call it a laser as the flight doesnt look or feel like a penetrating one and the distances have been sub-par at best.

Now in July in Myrtle those suckers may roll forever which might not be all that bad worse case

That stinks dude. I'm hoping it is something that can be worked out with tee height or ball position.

I was originally slated to go

D, 3w, 3i, [3i, 4i, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, pw,] 54, 56[bent to 58]
.......................[3* weak]

But now Im wondering if I dont bend them all 3* weak, maybe just 6-pw 3* weak, 5i 2* weak, 4i 1*weak, and 3i stock.

Now that is an order!! Every piece tweaked to Thainer perfection

That stinks dude. I'm hoping it is something that can be worked out with tee height or ball position.

oh yeah dude, I'll grind this thing out until I force it into submission and make it work!

oh yeah dude, I'll grind this thing out until I force it into submission and make it work!

I like it! If not, you and I will get 150 yards worth of roll lol!! I can't wait till it stops raining in this stupid state so I can get the fairways firm and start seeing if what I'm seeing on the range is going to equate to big overall distance with this driver. I think this combo is working for me quite well

Mike, you might try some different golf balls in the hopes that you can pick up some spin.

Back