I'm agreeing with DDXU. I have an original Cleveland 588 Tour Action 53 degree wedge and I absolutely love it. I just purchased two Cleveland RTX muscle back wedges because of the feel and incredible spin. I haven't taken them to the course yet, so can't comment.

A VERY HIGH honorable vote goes to Scor, and those should be looked at seriously by anyone seeking wedges. I hit some fantastic shots with mine and will still game (some of) them. I'm attempting to get a more versatile and smaller number of wedges in my bag and that's why I went RTX shopping. Time will tell what works best for me, but if I was looking wedges my first and second looks would go to Cleveland and Scor, or Scor and Cleveland, in no particular order.

I have a Mizuno TP 11 60* and I love this wedge. I also hit the SCORs in AC and it has me in full ponder mode.

The one that works best for your game. You should go hit a few and find out which one is the best for you. I prefer the TM ATV's. Maybe not the best but they are the ones that have worked the best for me thus far.

Probably THE best forging on the planet. I SOO wish I could acquire a set without my wife killing me... :disapointed:

Miura really does what they do EXTREMELY well.

page_2012wedges_mix.jpg
page_2012wedges_details_face.jpg
page_2012wedges_details_back.jpg

The only problem is they weld their hosels, whereas a Mizuno is a true, one-piece forging.

Wedges are subjective. No brand is better than any other, so any wedge is better than another to someone.

But the muira and mizuno wedges being pushed as the best because of forging is laughable.

The Cobra Big Trusty Rusty may not the prettiest thing to look at, some of yall might find them down right ugly but they're so forgiving and versatile that they've helped my wedge game improve tremendously. It feels awesome to have flop shots and all the other things you can do with wedges be a part of my game now because they're so easy to hit.

Vokey's WITH paint fill :D.
asu4ame2.jpg

Wedges are subjective. No brand is better than any other, so any wedge is better than another to someone.

But the muira and mizuno wedges being pushed as the best because of forging is laughable.

I don't agree with Thainer often.. But right now I agree 100% with this statement

I am of the mindset that you could blindfold someone and have them hit wedges and they wouldn't be able to tell a Miura from a Cleveland from a Vokey

What makes a wedge the best?

Most wins at the tour level?
In most bags without payment?
Most purchased?
Most used?
Most spin? (this one is pretty laughable)
Softest? (this one is pretty laughable too)
Shape?
Sound/feel?
Finish?
Price?

I mean in the end, there is no best. Its a personal preference. It would be similar in asking whats the best food. There are companies that have put out high quality products in this category longer than others, and companies that have tried to be innovative rather than go with traditional stylings. However in the end, it comes down to preference.

This is a pretty personal question, but for me it is SCOR wedges hands down. The V-Sole makes it very easy to hit the wedges from any lie
Scor is the best. Simply awesome. I'm a huge fan of the progressive weighting. The shafts are great and the V-Sole flat out works.

I like the ATV wedges the are best for ME they fit my game

What makes a wedge the best?

Most wins at the tour level?
In most bags without payment?
Most purchased?
Most used?
Most spin? (this one is pretty laughable)
Softest? (this one is pretty laughable too)
Shape?
Sound/feel?
Finish?
Price?

I mean in the end, there is no best. Its a personal preference. It would be similar in asking whats the best food. There are companies that have put out high quality products in this category longer than others, and companies that have tried to be innovative rather than go with traditional stylings. However in the end, it comes down to preference.

JB,
If I may add to your statement, it's personal preference and what fits their swing type. For example, I'm a sweeper so a very low bounce allows me to strike the ball properly more often than a higher bounce wedge does.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more that it is largely personal preference. All of the blade style wedges are very similar.

I prefer the Adams Tom Watson wedges because they have a very straight leading edge, perfect for my picker/sweeper swing

Old school Cleveland Tour Action 588's. I put the RTG's back in my bag just last season and I couldn't be happier. I must have bought six different wedges in great shape of various lofts on ebay in 2012.

In all the years passed since their introduction, I've tried many, many, many different wedges from an assortment of manufacturers. The old-school 588's are the best for my game as my HC plummeted to a 10 year low, mostly due to my wedge play.

It could get interesting!

As others have said, it's a personal preference. For me, that's last year's Callaway forged wedges.

Yeah...I always like the threads with questions that have no right (or wrong) answer. If you're looking at your ball in the deep bunker or nestled down in deep rough and reach for the club that is your best friend - THAT's the best wedge. :)

Up to certain degree I agree wedges are subjective. However I disagree on "no brand is better than any other" why? without naming any particular brand name (so that I don't sound like I am trying to put one bran over another one), I have seen and some wedges where grooves, weight, shape were/are so bad it was/is obvious that was/is bad wedge period.

Nowdays, Id say all of the OEMs' product is so good that theres really no such thing as a, "bad" wedge. You could probably even spend $20 on a Pinemeadow and still get a pretty decent wedge.

Back