The Official Tiger Woods Thread

yeah a protracer would have been nice for sure......as far as Wittenburg's approach on 18, I just dont thing Rolfling knew that it would feed down from there....they said it was a brand new pin position after the green had been reworked this year.

Maybe, but that kinda ridge has got to be noticeable from even the fairway no? I do like that pin placement though, it gives you a really good chance of making 3 if you have an angle at that ridge to feed it down there.

Another thing in the video, its says the 14th was playing at 481 yds. I thought it was playing at 461 yds?

Did I attack you?...no I stated my opinion very rationally and eloquently

But in response to you...a snap hook starts left and goes left...if that ball started left then it never crossed land. All you really have to do is listen to Mark Rolfling describe the ball as he hit it.....a weak high pop up to the left...not a big massive hook.

With that description though, he doesn't state whether it started left or was going to end up left. I wasn't there so all I am going off of is the description from Tiger and Wittenberg. Both of them stated that it started at the right side of the fairway and hooked over to the water.

Whether that was perfect where it went in, I don't think we'll ever know. But all a player can do in that situation is ask his playing partner for help determining the drop. When they were determining where to drop it initially looked like Tiger was looking in an area 20 yards further back and as he was looking over towards Casey, he moved forward. So if anything I would say that Casey influenced where the drop was more than anything.

Maybe, but that kinda ridge has got to be noticeable from even the fairway no? I do like that pin placement though, it gives you a really good chance of making 3 if you have an angle at that ridge to feed it down there.

The strangest thing to me was Rolfing completly changing his story just a few minutes later....he first says he didn't think it crossed land....then as they are walking down the fairway about 30 yards short of the drop spot he says that he didn't have the best angle but he would think it at best it would be right there if not before that spot.....but then when Miller questions it afterwards...Rolfing jumps in and say he clearly saw it and he thought it was a good drop.

Which is it? Plus the lack of replays from NBC seemed odd....the only showed that blimp shot once....just seemed odd.

Answer: None of the above haha.

In speaking with reporters following his round, Wittenberg agreed with Woods’ assessment of the situation. “I saw it perfectly off the tee,” explained Wittenberg, who tied for seventh after a 3-over 75 Sunday. “I told him exactly where I thought it crossed, and we all agreed.”
Wittenberg reiterated that Woods actively consulted with him in order to determine the point where the ball last crossed the hazard.
“We talked to each other,” he said. “I told him I thought it crossed on the corner of the bunker right where he took his drop.
“There is no doubt, guys,” Wittenberg added. “The ball crossed where he dropped.”

Earlier in the week I watched the stuff the golf channel did on the 2008 us open. I think, given the circumstances, that's one of the greatest feats in sports history. It may be the greatest short game displays in golf tournament history. With his acl torn and leg fractured Tiger had no consistant control over where his ball was going, ended up all over the place in us open rough, with us open greens and us open pins and won. The US Open which has a reputation of being the most difficult golf course of the season. It's really unbelievable to walk around that golf course and hit shots for 5 straight days on a fractured leg and win. Rocco may have been playing the best golf of his life, so it's not as though the challenge wasn't there.

Watching the famous putt on 18 on sunday that Tiger had I just tried to imagine having that putt. Was it like a 25 footer? 25 feet, right to left, need birdie to force a playoff in the us open and there are 10's of thousands of people in the gallery along with millions watching on tv. That's gotta be an unbelievable theater to compete in. I don't even know how to imagine how i'd respond or what i'd think in that spot.

I think as time goes on that tournament is going to be remembered on the short list of majors that people remember the way people always remember the 85 Masters. It's a defining moment of Tiger's career, and it's a career that has had a lot of defining moments.

Earlier in the week I watched the stuff the golf channel did on the 2008 us open. I think, given the circumstances, that's one of the greatest feats in sports history. It may be the greatest short game displays in golf tournament history. With his acl torn and leg fractured Tiger had no consistant control over where his ball was going, ended up all over the place in us open rough, with us open greens and us open pins and won. The US Open which has a reputation of being the most difficult golf course of the season. It's really unbelievable to walk around that golf course and hit shots for 5 straight days on a fractured leg and win. Rocco may have been playing the best golf of his life, so it's not as though the challenge wasn't there.

Watching the famous putt on 18 on sunday that Tiger had I just tried to imagine having that putt. Was it like a 25 footer? 25 feet, right to left, need birdie to force a playoff in the us open and there are 10's of thousands of people in the gallery along with millions watching on tv. That's gotta be an unbelievable theater to compete in. I don't even know how to imagine how i'd respond or what i'd think in that spot.

I think as time goes on that tournament is going to be remembered on the short list of majors that people remember the way people always remember the 85 Masters. It's a defining moment of Tiger's career, and it's a career that has had a lot of defining moments.

I admittedly don't want all that much golf, but I still vividly remember watching every round of that tournament and always will. I think that tournament was one of those I'll end up telling my kids and grandkids about. I think it will go down as one of the greatest performances ever.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ds-lindsey-vonn-strip-yacht-article-1.1345631
I love Tiger fishing in socks and sneakers, and the guy behind him decked out in Nike!!!
tiger17f-3-web.jpg

Apparently some people still think that the ruling after Tiger's drop on 15 at Augusta was the wrong one. As far as I heard, it was completely correct according to the rule book. He was told by an official it was correct. When it was determined that it was wrong, he got penalized 2 strokes. Disqualifying him wouldn't have been too fair since he was told it was correct. So 2 strokes was the appropriate penalty.

Apparently some people still think that the ruling after Tiger's drop on 15 at Augusta was the wrong one. As far as I heard, it was completely correct according to the rule book. He was told by an official it was correct. When it was determined that it was wrong, he got penalized 2 strokes. Disqualifying him wouldn't have been too fair since he was told it was correct. So 2 strokes was the appropriate penalty.

I agree.

I am the one who bit on that in the anchoring ban thread. I apologize.

Kind of. Tiger was never told one way or the other about the possible rules infraction by Fred Ridley prior to signing his card. This is from his press conference Sat morning of the Masters.

"Having determined that we did not feel there was a rules violation, we did not talk to Tiger, so he completed his round, signed his scorecard, and the first day was over," Ridley said Saturday in a press conference.

The more I look back on it, I think he should have been DQ'd or taken himself out of the tournament. I did not think that way when it happened. I hate that people can call in and call attention to certain aspects of the game. But at the end of the day he took an illegal drop and then signed an incorrect scorecard. I think he got lucky because the Masters Officiating crew screwed up worse than he did.

All that being said, I was rooting like hell for him to win because I am a TW fan.

When the ANGC first sent out their memo regarding their ruling, they said they used Rule 33-7/4.5 which is referred to as the high-definition television rule to not disqualify Tiger. That rule does not apply in this situation as it was an illegal drop, not a ball moving or leaf moving, etc. that the player would not have been able to see.

In this situation, and in the Anchoring thread, I was never stating that I think Tiger should have been DQ'd for the committee changing their minds the way they did. They had reviewed it and first ruled it to be a legal drop (never spoke to Tiger about it, therefore Tiger was completely oblivious to the fact that there was a possible rules violation), then later after he signed his card, they re-evaluated it and decided it was indeed a penalty. I do not think the player (Tiger) should be punished with a DQ in this situation as the rules committee had ample time to evaluate their ruling and speak to Tiger about it before the end of the round and the signing of the scorecard, and chose not to. But I think they first applied the incorrect ruling in their statement regarding the incident.

It wasn't until later when the USGA and R&A released their statement that they said they indeed used rule 33-7 and not 33-7/4.5 in their decision not to disqualify Tiger. I know it's a technical deal, but it's a pretty significant thing when you have analysts and the entire world dissecting the ruling, especially since it involved Tiger who is arguably the most polarizing figure in sports.

I'm about as big a Tiger fan as the next guy, so this isn't about me critical of Tiger. I'm being critical of the way it was handled by the ANGC.

This is from a long time ago, but the first time I saw it was today. Tiger gets a tip from David Feherty.

This is from a long time ago, but the first time I saw it was today. Tiger gets a tip from David Feherty.

I crocheted you a headcover... I love it. Why couldn't Tiger have held it in just a little longer. It could've been great!

It's almost automatic for TW next week right?

Famous last words.

I would definitely take Tiger over the field at the Memorial.

Making sure to jinx him for Memorial instead of Merion. Much rather him win the Open if I had to choose.

That's pretty funny, Feherty and Tiger look young!

Tiger seemed pretty loose after his round yesterday, joking and keeping it light. It really seems like we are seeing a different side of Tiger!

Tiger seemed pretty loose after his round yesterday, joking and keeping it light. It really seems like we are seeing a different side of Tiger!

I'd rather have jerk TW with 21 putts instead of nice TW with 32. Haha

I'd rather have jerk TW with 21 putts instead of nice TW with 32. Haha

I wouldn't. The nice tiger is more fun to watch.

Siri speaks for me!

I wouldn't. The nice tiger is more fun to watch.

Siri speaks for me!

There is no such thing as a nice Tiger with 32 putts. So your comment is invalid! :alien:

To be honest after you have been through something like tiger has and STILL have billions of people that love you there really is no reason to be anything but humble and fun loving. It's good to see this side of him.

I noticed his covert is not in the bag this week, back to the black driver whatever that one was that he played last year.

To be honest after you have been through something like tiger has and STILL have billions of people that love you there really is no reason to be anything but humble and fun loving. It's good to see this side of him.

I noticed his covert is not in the bag this week, back to the black driver whatever that one was that he played last year.

When did he switch to the Covert driver?

Back