Oh Sergio - Once Again, You May Have Crossed The Line

I'm just getting caught up on all this, hopefully I'll be able to read or watch some commentary over lunch, but what a joke, it just keeps getting worse and worse!!!

Just seen a tweet from Taylormade - short version, it would appear they are slapping his wrists but continuing to review the matter

tiger did sign it and rocco said as much ...what he didnt do was write some corny novel on it like rocco apparently wanted.

I was getting ready to post this. Tiger DID in fact sign it, he just didnt personalize it for Rocco.

I thought he said he signed some stock photo is all and that Rocco threw it away. But this isn't about that.

From Taylormades facebook page:

"Sergio Garcia’s recent comment was offensive and in no way aligns with TaylorMade-adidas Golf’s values and corporate culture. We have spoken with Sergio directly and he clearly has regret for his statement and we believe he is sincere. We discussed with Sergio that his comments are clearly out of bounds and we are continuing to review the matter."

Ruh roh

"Sergio Garcia’s recent comment was offensive and in no way aligns with TaylorMade-adidas Golf’s values and corporate culture. We have spoken with Sergio directly and he clearly has regret for his statement and we believe he is sincere. We discussed with Sergio that his comments are clearly out of bounds and we are continuing to review the matter."

Ruh roh

That was the same tweet I saw, wonder what might happen

Ruh roh

That last sentence should be a source of worry for mr Garcia. Sergio's mouth is writing checks that he doesn't have the credit to pay for b

tiger did sign it and rocco said as much ...what he didnt do was write some corny novel on it like rocco apparently wanted.

Actually, I thought Rocco said that Tiger signed a picture of himself, not the pin sheet

Ruh roh

This is so stupid. Get over it.... the black white dynamic in the US is redic. It was a poor joke, get over it move on no reason to be talking about it. Tiger's a liar and a cheater on and off the course, a regular a-hole everywhere, but he gets a reprieve. Sergio needs to put a muzzle on whenever he speaks to the media, but come on it's not that big of a deal.

btw this was in no way directed toward you shanks.
lol

I think there's a big difference between true racism and making fun of racial stereotypes. Some of them are really funny. I guess if someone said that the reason Tiger misses so many fairways is because he's part Asian, and we all know they are terrible drivers, that would be racist too.:alien: But if a comedian said it, that would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, I can't jump or dance.

Love that these 2 guys hate each other so much. Can you imagine the press if they find themselves paired together in a major or in a final day grouping on down the road. Gold Jerry Gold!!!

Locker rooms, comedy clubs, and press conferences are all different settings. The same joke made in those different settings takes on a different context and will obviously be taken differently.

Does that make the joke right in any of those settings right? No.

This is so stupid. Get over it.... the black white dynamic in the US is redic. It was a poor joke, get over it move on no reason to be talking about it. Tiger's a liar and a cheater on and off the course, a regular a-hole everywhere, but he gets a reprieve. Sergio needs to put a muzzle on whenever he speaks to the media, but come on it's not that big of a deal.

btw this was in no way directed toward you shanks.
lol

I think there's a big difference between true racism and making fun of racial stereotypes. Some of them are really funny. I guess if someone said that the reason Tiger misses so many fairways is because he's part Asian, and we all know they are terrible drivers, that would be racist too.:alien: But if a comedian said it, that would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, I can't jump or dance.

Racism has become far too touchy a subject these days and is not something to be taken lightly....sure its one thing to joke around with your friends - TO AN EXTENT - but Sergio was on national TV at an Awards dinner for his Nation and drops a comment like that against the current world-ranked #1 golfer?....A bit out of line I think....

Yes, Tiger did cheat on his gorgeous Ex-Wife and got dropped by 90% of his sponsors, in my opinion paid his dues and now is back at doing what he does best...Play amazing golf.

However, again - the game is intended for respectful gentlemen - every person goes off the straight and narrow once and awhile...but to their own degree and should mind who is watching - Sergio (who should be "grown up" from his "El Nino" days still hasn't learned how to carry himself properly....maybe this will be a wake up call for him.

Ruh roh
I know they have to say it, but it almost makes it all sound worse!

Racism has become far too touchy a subject these days and is not something to be taken lightly....sure its one thing to joke around with your friends - TO AN EXTENT - but Sergio was on national TV at an Awards dinner for his Nation and drops a comment like that against the current world-ranked #1 golfer?....A bit out of line I think....

Yes, Tiger did cheat on his gorgeous Ex-Wife and got dropped by 90% of his sponsors, in my opinion paid his dues and now is back at doing what he does best...Play amazing golf.

However, again - the game is intended for respectful gentlemen - every person goes off the straight and narrow once and awhile...but to their own degree and should mind who is watching - Sergio (who should be "grown up" from his "El Nino" days still hasn't learned how to carry himself properly....maybe this will be a wake up call for him.

I agree. What if Sergio had said we'll have Tiger over and have Pho, or egg rolls, or some other Asian/Vietnamese inspired dish.... Wonder if Johnny Vegas would have been insulted if he was invited over for Chalupas?

Again the black/white dynamic is oversensitive.

I'm not particularly a fan of Tiger's, but fair play for coming out and sending those tweets. It's clear he wants to move on, hopefully Sergio will wind his neck in. I was gonna say hopefully the TV journo's will back off too but I doubt that will happen.

Again the black/white dynamic is oversensitive.
There are societal norms for what is/is not acceptable behavior. Fried chicken or watermelon comments in reference to African Americans is clearly way over the line.

I understand what people are saying about oversensitivity with regards to racial comments, however since it is pretty well known that racism is a very sensitive subject, you'd think someone like Sergio who is in the public eye would be aware that any racial comments are likely going to be over-analyzed and not well accepted.

He really stuck his foot in his mouth on this one and is just going to have to take any criticism that comes his way like an adult.

There are societal norms for what is/is not acceptable behavior. Fried chicken or watermelon comments in reference to African Americans is clearly way over the line.

Agreed. There are certain contexts I'd say there is over sensitivity, but this isn't one of them. It amazes me how much innuendo has been directed to Tiger publicly in this day in age. If one of the best athletes ever still gets this type of stuff directed to him in the public forum, it makes me wonder what else happens to him and others behind the scene.

Taps away

I bet that if Tiger had made a jab at Sergio using a reference to Spanish culture that could be taken as offensive, people would be laughing and saying, "it was just a joke, get over it." Sergio can't win because he's against Tiger. So he is automatically the villain whether he does something wrong or not.

I dont disagree with anything you said, but I find the bolded something that becomes far too judgemental about the game of golf as a whole. I dont think its fair to label what is and isn't respectful gentlemen like actions, because frankly there are quite a few out there that are anything but.

Honestly I thought it was funny, was it wrong? Yes, it was wrong and people are going to be offended. but hell, there's worse stuff on TV all day long.
I would be a hypocrite to sit and watch an episode of Family Guy and laugh, then come here and say how wrong it was and how offended I am.
I happen to be Brown, I also happen to have a sense of humor.

I bet that if Tiger had made a jab at Sergio using a reference to Spanish culture that could be taken as offensive, people would be laughing and saying, "it was just a joke, get over it." Sergio can't win because he's against Tiger. So he is automatically the villain whether he does something wrong or not.

This is actually true, but that does not make it better. Remember when Shaq made fun of his teammate saying "Look at the white guy dance"? But that is the world we live in and its in part because of the history we created.

I highly doubt that if Tiger made an offensive comment that he would be let off the hook for anything. Tiger is one of the most scrutinized people in the world.

Sergio made a stupid comment here, plain and simple.

Back