Oh Sergio - Once Again, You May Have Crossed The Line

I don't see Tiger as having feelings because I don't see him as a puss . If a black man said to you "Hey honky, come over hear and eat some crackers with me." Would that seriously hurt your feelings? Sergio said "He can come over and we can eat some Fried Chicken?" How is that hurtful? I asked a couple of black friends what they thought about Sergio's comments and they said they thought it was funny. No one alive has lived in slave days. Very few of us have lived during the days of segregation. Why can't we all grow up?

I've never had that situation come up in my life, so I honestly can't answer how I'd feel if it did happen. Saying it here in a forum and having it happen to you are two different things.

Anyways it seems we are going to keep going round and round here so I'm just going to leave it at this: Everybody in this world has a right to their own opinion, we can disagree with someone's opinion all we want, but we should be respectful of that person's opinion. Telling people to "grow up" when you have zero clue what has happened to them throughout their life, is very disrespectful in my opinion.

Wow. U Mad Bro? All I have to do is read this post to realize what planet you live on. Obviously it isn't this one.

Same planet as you dude, in your world (at least at first glance) it appears you may have a different view of reality. If indeed you have no idea of why injecting the fried chicken reference should at least be somewhat inappropriate andout of bounds so be it, that's you. You have your view he has his and for all I know you are good people and a great southern gentleman but if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to decide who I had to play my next round of golf with I would say Speiser.
I like Sergio, but his deliberate acts have caused me to sit back and see how he acts from here. He used the words he used as a ugly way of calling out Tiger for who he is. It is nothing new, life goes on but at least in my planet and by the use of some common sense I think (or hope) most would agree.

I like peanut butter. Can you swim?

if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to decide who I had to play my next round of golf with I would say Speiser.

I hope a gun wouldn't be involved man :p

Guys this thread started as a great debate and has unravelled. Lets try to get it back to that debate, or it will be closed.

I wondered why this thread kept staying up to the top of page 1. Now I know. Simmer down boys!

I think if it were someone else other than Sergio who said that exact phrase TW would have brushed it off or said something PC and moved on. But being it was Sergio and he knows it would be a prime time chance to shut him up he probably took the path of it offending him more than it really did. I highly doubt it would actually offend or hurt Tiger.

**Edited to keep track on the original subject matter**

Last edited:
Sergio messed that one up royally - in the heat of the spotlight, he cracked. Tiger, meh, I don't expect much from him - he is not the world changer his dad had raised/hoped him to be.

I, for one, agree with Bomani Jones: "Fried Chicken should unify us instead of continuously tearing us apart."
(I also agree with his derision of Plaschke's choice of chicken restaurants.)

Its not the words "fried chicken" that are the problem. Its the principle behind it. If he was talking about a mexican person and said "beans and rice" or a chinese person and said "eggrolls" its just as bad. How do we know that Sergio isn't racist? How do we know that he didn't mean it in a racially charged way? I doubt anyone in this forum knows him personally. Perhaps he knew exactly what he was saying, and thats the reason he said it. I wish this was not as big a deal as it is, and I will concede that alot of it is the media. Had Tiger and Sergio been in the street and sergio said what he did, Tiger may have just punched him in the face and it would be over. Sadly, as long people live on this planet there will be racism, culturalism, and sexism. It all depends on how we choose to deal with it.

I, for one, agree with Bomani Jones: "Fried Chicken should unify us instead of continuously tearing us apart."
We have this place in Frisco/Dallas called Babes Chicken, family style restaurant, and it's the best food I think I've ever eaten. I agree, friend chicken should bring us all together......but only good fried chicken. If you have not been to Babes and you come to this area, give me a call..........I will go with you.

We have this place in Frisco/Dallas called Babes Chicken, family style restaurant, and it's the best food I think I've ever eaten. I agree, friend chicken should bring us all together......but only good fried chicken. If you have not been to Babes and you come to this area, give me a call..........I will go with you.
Dude babes is awesome, but come to KC and go to Strouds with me and I promise it's better.

Its not the words "fried chicken" that are the problem. Its the principle behind it. If he was talking about a mexican person and said "beans and rice" or a chinese person and said "eggrolls" its just as bad. How do we know that Sergio isn't racist? How do we know that he didn't mean it in a racially charged way? I doubt anyone in this forum knows him personally. Perhaps he knew exactly what he was saying, and thats the reason he said it. I wish this was not as big a deal as it is, and I will concede that alot of it is the media. Had Tiger and Sergio been in the street and sergio said what he did, Tiger may have just punched him in the face and it would be over. Sadly, as long people live on this planet there will be racism, culturalism, and sexism. It all depends on how we choose to deal with it.

To the first bold, the same way one cant tell that he is. The same way one is construing his remarks as about race, one could construe his marks as meaning "American as Apple Pie". Its what people make out of it that bring what people think.

As to the 2nd one, I can tell you that as many times as GG and I have been around him and his father, not once has anything ever been said in jest or otherwise that would make you feel that way. In fact I think if most people got a chance, they would see a very different person than the hatred that they have for the persona (some deserved). Some guys are complete jerks out there and elsewhere. Others are not. Surprisingly both sides are revered it seems.

To quote the guy that was the "victim", I guess all Sergio has to do is go out and win. Because winning cures all.

Dude babes is awesome, but come to KC and go to Strouds with me and I promise it's better.
Boy, I would need to see this. I didn't know fried chicken till Babes esp. the orig. one out in Roanoke where people tailgate outside the square during their 2 hour wait to get in. I think they too have some multi-day process with their fried chicken. It is so wonderful.

Boy, I would need to see this. I didn't know fried chicken till Babes esp. the orig. one out in Roanoke where people tailgate outside the square during their 2 hour wait to get in. I think they too have some multi-day process with their fried chicken. It is so wonderful.

I'm telling you. Golf and fried chicken in KC. I might even buy your lunch

To the first bold, the same way one cant tell that he is. The same way one is construing his remarks as about race, one could construe his marks as meaning "American as Apple Pie". Its what people make out of it that bring what people think.

As to the 2nd one, I can tell you that as many times as GG and I have been around him and his father, not once has anything ever been said in jest or otherwise that would make you feel that way. In fact I think if most people got a chance, they would see a very different person than the hatred that they have for the persona (some deserved). Some guys are complete jerks out there and elsewhere. Others are not. Surprisingly both sides are revered it seems.

To quote the guy that was the "victim", I guess all Sergio has to do is go out and win. Because winning cures all.

I think that's the biggest problem here. For most people who haven't had the chance to be around the players, all they have to go off of is what they see/read about on the news. So I think naturally, people are going to associate certain qualities to these players whether they are true or not. So it's essentially up to the players to decide how they want to be perceived.

Either way though, the media has given this topic some pretty long legs, especially the golf channel. Whether it's deserved or not, it's not my place to say.

Eischens near OKC is the best I have had. All of my DFW friends speak very highly of Babes though. Maybe we need a fried chicken thread mmmmm

Eischens near OKC is the best I have had. All of my DFW friends speak very highly of Babes though. Maybe we need a fried chicken thread mmmmm
If THP does another invite in the Dallas area again (hint/hint) I think Babes would be an awesome place for dinner after!! I think they have big rooms as well. Man, now I want some fried chicken!

If THP does another invite in the Dallas area again (hint/hint) I think Babes would be an awesome place for dinner after!! I think they have big rooms as well. Man, now I want some fried chicken!

You need to rally the troops then. When the 2014 question went up from Mr. Dean, it appeared those in Dallas were not all that interested.

You need to rally the troops then. When the 2014 question went up from Mr. Dean, it appeared those in Dallas were not all that interested.
Say what? Did I miss this? Must investigate......

I did like that thread. Milwaukee got little love.

lol before this thread was still on topic but straying away.... now it's just GONE...

rabbit_pancake.jpg

So I guess I was wrong again. After reading all the posts, it appears that golfers love fried chicken. Tiger is a golfer, therefore Sergio said nothing wrong. Glad we finally got that cleared up.

Apparently some were upset that the Euro Tour Chief said Sergio had "colored friends". I see no problem with him suing the term colored, as I assume the word has a different connotation over there. I do like seeing the "no really, all my friends are black" excuse pop up, it always seems to pop up when someone says something inappropriate.

Back