Hotel Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

Weird. It shows on their website it as a 35k property.

We got two rooms that would be why. One for the parents and one for the kids.

THPing on Tapatalk

Hyatt Gold Passport by far the best program out there with regard to number of points needed per night for redemption... easier now that Hyatt Place is becoming more common.

Thats crazy. I figure you put a card on your room to pay for any mess they may make and they can charge you appropriately but 100 bucks per pet plus "rent" is absolutely ridiculous

I think a lot of the charges go towards the extra cleaning that must be done to protect the hotel from lawsuits. They have to vacuum and clean every piece of furniture because many people let their pets on the couch, chairs, bed, etc. That could cause a real problem for the next person if they are allergic to certain pets.

GG just made a couple of small changes in our stays for the next couple of months to maximize our point intake. Liking our new plan.

GG just made a couple of small changes in our stays for the next couple of months to maximize our point intake. Liking our new plan.

Max points ftw!

Gotta love it. With so many nights spent in them this year, we really have to make sure we do maximize them.

Makes total sense, no reason not to

I travel anywhere from 100,000 to 150,000 air miles every year. A couple of years ago ago I trimmed down my memberships to American and United for air travel, Marriott for hotels and Hertz for auto rental. The best perq is free first class upgrades on American which you get after 100k miles.

I cheat. My brothers both work for hotel companies. One brother works for the Ritz in DC, the other works for the Andaz in Los Angeles. So, I get to reap the benefits of both Marriott and Hyatt. Marriott is better for everyday use - I can use my brothers associate rate at pretty much any hotel. Hyatt is awesome if I'm actually WITH my brother - he gets a ton of comp rooms. Makes for some fun trips to California.

I cheat. My brothers both work for hotel companies. One brother works for the Ritz in DC, the other works for the Andaz in Los Angeles. So, I get to reap the benefits of both Marriott and Hyatt. Marriott is better for everyday use - I can use my brothers associate rate at pretty much any hotel. Hyatt is awesome if I'm actually WITH my brother - he gets a ton of comp rooms. Makes for some fun trips to California.

My best friend's wife works for Marriott. It's kinda fun to type in her discount code just to see how much markup some hotels have vs what she pays. Whenever we go out of town together and we stay at a Marriott, it's pretty fun to have an extra little welcoming gift in the room waiting for us depending if she knows someone at that hotel or her bosses do. Unfortunately, the wives usually get to the good stuff first because we're out golfing that day prior to checkin or they just take them before we get there.

My best friend's wife works for Marriott. It's kinda fun to type in her discount code just to see how much markup some hotels have vs what she pays. Whenever we go out of town together and we stay at a Marriott, it's pretty fun to have an extra little welcoming gift in the room waiting for us depending if she knows someone at that hotel or her bosses do. Unfortunately, the wives usually get to the good stuff first because we're out golfing that day prior to checkin or they just take them before we get there.

The Marriott discount can just be unreal. I love that little code. We stayed at the Marriott Grande Ocean in Hilton Head for three nights in April - it was something asinine like $69 a night. The regular rate was somewhere around $515 a night.

I'm Diamond level with Hilton Honors. Usually earn 150k to 200k in points per year earned on work related travel. Those are worth about 4 to 6 free room nights a year that I use for personal travel.

The Diamond level also gives a few other perks depending on Hotel brand staying in. Things like free WiFi, free breakfast, valet parking for the self parking cost, room upgrade, etc.

I double dip on points as well and roll up a few Delta points with each HH stay.

I double dip on points as well and roll up a few Delta points with each HH stay.

Their double dipping is a great thing. I used to use it for Delta also when I flew so often, but then found myself double dipping Hilton and Hilton. The points added up fast, but with the change in structure and devaluing of points, I am not sure we can keep using them. We still have gold status because of hte credit card, and will use them when we need to, but man seeing some of the points needed for simple rooms is crazy right now.

GG got the rest of our stays almost completely converted to one program. That plus the matching credit card should maximize points quite a bit.

GG got the rest of our stays almost completely converted to one program. That plus the matching credit card should maximize points quite a bit.

Double dip ftw!

Finally had a chance to read through this thread. I really need to educate myself on these rewards and take a second look at my credit card perks, I have not been impressed.

I have a Chase Signature Marriott card, and stay at Marriott whenever possible for work. Consequently, I'm a platinum member which has some nice perks, specifically the concierge lounge at full service marriotts. Between the credit card and staying about 50 nights a year at Marrriott we always have points lying around for weekend getaways and the like. Not bad.

Recently signed up for the US Airways Mastercard too as that is the best option flying to Seattle to see family (once per year) and allows 2 companion tickets at 99 bucks each with purchase of 1 ticket. So that saves about 500 bucks right there each year.

I have a Chase Signature Marriott card, and stay at Marriott whenever possible for work. Consequently, I'm a platinum member which has some nice perks, specifically the concierge lounge at full service marriotts. Between the credit card and staying about 50 nights a year at Marrriott we always have points lying around for weekend getaways and the like. Not bad.

Recently signed up for the US Airways Mastercard too as that is the best option flying to Seattle to see family (once per year) and allows 2 companion tickets at 99 bucks each with purchase of 1 ticket. So that saves about 500 bucks right there each year.

Yeah jb just got that chase card too, I don't think I'm far behind, the signup bonus is enticing

I have been looking at getting a rewards card since I do so much traveling for THP. Plus the wife does some as well and it would be nice to have a card that we can use for hotel and airline tickets. The Chase Marriott is very enticing and might be signing up for that one.

This is a great thread though and one I will be following along. Thanks for starting this one JB.

Since I do alot of work travel...I have all the major hotel rewards cards as well as all the airline ones....in fact I will be flying to Vegas for the Bridgestone Invitational free courtesy of Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points.

That card got me with their recent promotion. We talked about hotels last time we were in NJ, and we were Hilton and you were Marriott. Looks like we are making the switch.

GG and I are going to sit down with her magic spreadsheets and go through each of our rewards programs as well as our 3 hotel credit cards and see which offers the best return rate for us per booking. With programs changing so much recently, we want to make sure and get the most value.

effing spreadsheets, I knew they wouldnt lie

Thanks to mikedean441 for assisting to breakdown all of the spending and point valuations for 3 chains to determine the best for our needs. Definitely not Starwood that is for sure. With no points awarded for any spend on the card outside of the hotel, its kind of a dead issue for us. Marriott and Hilton (even after devalue) are right there. Only way HIlton stays up there is also using the Citi card. Outside of that, its Marriott all the way for us. But despite more points needed (a lot more) now for booking, getting 27.5 points for every dollar spent at a Hilton is a staggering number.

Eye opening I didn't think Hilton had a snowballs chance

Back