Limit on bending forged irons?

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry if this has been already discussed but I couldn't find a thread on it. Considering picking up a used set of forged Adams CMB's from someone and having them adjusted for the proper lie (length for me is standard) - is there a limit to how much you should have forged heads bent? I know that part of the benefit of forged clubs is the ability to have them adjusted like this, but I wasn't sure if 3* or more changes could fatigue the steel or something. Anyone have any experience here?

Personally Id stop at 4*, any more and you will stress the steel. It can warp and rip on occasion too.

If you google, there's some threads complaining about bending the CMB and the finish cracking. If you are in fact bending it 3*, which usually isn't a problem but in the CMB's case, I would send it to Adams and have them do it. In which case, if the finish does crack it would be covered by warranty.

Thanks guys. More I think about this the more I think I should just save up a little more dough and get em straight from Adams, with the finish crack issues.

Thanks guys. More I think about this the more I think I should just save up a little more dough and get em straight from Adams, with the finish crack issues.
An unfortunate issue for such a sweet iron. I wonder if the CS has changed since TM has taken ownership.

An unfortunate issue for such a sweet iron. I wonder if the CS has changed since TM has taken ownership.

I dunno - I've heard good and bad stories both. It really is an amazing iron though - easily on par with Mizuno's offerings in my opinion (and better than one or two of them). I'm thinking about waiting till a sale at Edwin Watts to try and pick these up new/fitted at a discount, since I don't believe Adams is usually excluded from price promotions (correct me if I am wrong?)

You can usually go 3 degrees before you should start to worry, 4 degrees might be pushing your luck though.
About the finish cracking, that not a big surprise. Chrome isn't exactly made to bend and stretch. ;)

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

This the route I'd go. No need to take a chance. 3 degrees is plenty to bend.

I agree that sending them to Adams would be the smart thing to do. Just an FYI though that I just had a set of Apex Plus bent from 4 degrees up to 2 degrees flat for a total 6 degree move. Granted, these are soft irons, but it can be done and no heat was used.

J.

I would send them to Adams to have them bent regardless of finish cracking. In my opinion it is better to have the work done by the manufacturer than a local shop because here in utah I don't really fully trust the local shops and at the manufacturer the will most likely be bent on the same machine that they were originally set on.

I've had mine bent, but only 2*, sending them in is the sure way. The finish in the bottom of my 9 and PW is bubbled but not from the adjustments. Adams has already said they would fix it under their 2 year warranty. Just need to find time I can be without.

If you do have someone bend them, make sure they wrap the head and the hozel. They are that soft and the machine and bar will mark them. FYI

LtEvO TaPpEd

I've had mine bent, but only 2*, sending them in is the sure way. The finish in the bottom of my 9 and PW is bubbled but not from the adjustments. Adams has already said they would fix it under their 2 year warranty. Just need to find time I can be without.

If you do have someone bend them, make sure they wrap the head and the hozel. They are that soft and the machine and bar will mark them. FYI

LtEvO TaPpEd

Do you know what caused the bubbling? Just from regular use?

LtEvO TaPpEd

Maybe a new set of irons from winning at the THP Ultimate Raffle would fix this and give you the time. I mean you did come out victorious against the wheel of destiny.

Do you know what caused the bubbling? Just from regular use?
Yes, I believe so. Those are the two I use the most, but I'm not regular :dohanim:

Maybe a new set of irons from winning at the THP Ultimate Raffle would fix this and give you the time. I mean you did come out victorious against the wheel of destiny.
You sir...have given me the Ultimate opportunity to get this resolved...thank you. The opportunities at THP are numerous, thanks for the advice and look forward to letting you know. I think I already have my mind made up, but going back yet again for some numbers to confirm.

Anybody know how much OEM's usually charge for this kind of work if you send directly to them?

Anybody know how much OEM's usually charge for this kind of work if you send directly to them?

Free. You just cover shipping and have to wait. Waiting is why nearly everyone does it locally. Could take 2-3 weeks unless the OEM is local.

Personally Id stop at 4*, any more and you will stress the steel. It can warp and rip on occasion too.

4 degrees? That's crazy talk.

Free. You just cover shipping and have to wait. Waiting is why nearly everyone does it locally. Could take 2-3 weeks unless the OEM is local.

Wow, that's not bad - even if you bought the irons used?

When you order forged irons from the OEM's they usually limit you to 3*....so I don't think I would push it past that.

I just did a 4 - PW set of Hogan Apex Plus irons 6 degree total move. Four upright to two flat. Thirty bucks at my local Edwin Watts. They do all the stuff I can't do and I trust the guy.

J.

Back