Hotel Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

While I'm a cheap Fairfield guy, that's no bueno, limiting my options doesn't reel me in 1 bit.

Darn spreadsheets...

This whole rewards thing is great, but a giant pain in the a$$. Plus, some of the Marriott options are better, and cheaper, than the Hilton options, but going strictly by reward points and options, we are going with Hilton.

^^^^
Complains a lot.

This whole rewards thing is great, but a giant pain in the a$$. Plus, some of the Marriott options are better, and cheaper, than the Hilton options, but going strictly by reward points and options, we are going with Hilton.

Yeah now that ur "all in" u can sit back and let the points roll in.

^^^^
Just like I said, she is the best. Disregard earlier post, it was said with love. :beat-up:

Been a Hilton chain fan and HHonors member for 10+ years. Picked up a Hilton HHonors Amex a few years ago and it's been great since it gives me automatic gold status and converts all spending to points that we frequently cash in for trips to visit family and other fun stuff. For example, for the AC invitational I was able to get two nights free at the Homewood Suites. Win!

Also, my employer is happy to let me keep the points from stays that I accumulate on road trips for work. My goal for this year is to make diamond status and I'm a bit more than halfway there.

HHonors folks are totally awesome and helpful on the phone. Some of the best customer service I've ever had.

Been a Hilton chain fan and HHonors member for 10+ years. Picked up a Hilton HHonors Amex a few years ago and it's been great since it gives me automatic gold status and converts all spending to points that we frequently cash in for trips to visit family and other fun stuff. For example, for the AC invitational I was able to get two nights free at the Homewood Suites. Win!

Also, my employer is happy to let me keep the points from stays that I accumulate on road trips for work. My goal for this year is to make diamond status and I'm a bit more than halfway there.

HHonors folks are totally awesome and helpful on the phone. Some of the best customer service I've ever had.

Ken,
Which Hilton Amex? The Surpass? I was under the impression it only gave you gold for the 1st year rather than full time, that is why I chose the Hilton Citi card. Both are fantastic, but I thought anyway that the Amex version only gave gold for year one rather than every time. Looking back, they seriously both have their plusses and minuses and the Amex version gives away mega points.

the MEGA spreadsheet will be created today, it will tell the true story for just about all rewards programs across the board

Ken,
Which Hilton Amex? The Surpass? I was under the impression it only gave you gold for the 1st year rather than full time, that is why I chose the Hilton Citi card. Both are fantastic, but I thought anyway that the Amex version only gave gold for year one rather than every time. Looking back, they seriously both have their plusses and minuses and the Amex version gives away mega points.

Yes, I have the surpass. As long as you keep it you have gold status, which is nice. My card says I've been a cardholder since 2005, which is longer than I thought.

This isn't a no-fee card ($79/yr I think) but I learned long ago that paying a few extra bucks for a nicer hotel room is worth it in the quality of the stay and the service you get. The HHonors website has a very good reservation system and members get access to extra perks like dedicated floors for Hhonors members in some hotels. Hilton also has properties basically everywhere.

Pointswise, HHonors also has lots of golf rewards too to blow your points on, though all we have used them for is free nights. We probably use 5 or so free nights a year for things like visiting family, etc.

Unfortunately, having gold status via the card doesn't give me a leg up on achieving diamond, I need to earn that the normal way.

Ken

PS: With all of the traveling you and GG do, you should look into TripIt. It's a superb way to keep track of reservations and they have nice apps for iToys and android.

Yes, I have the surpass. As long as you keep it you have gold status, which is nice. My card says I've been a cardholder since 2005, which is longer than I thought.

Ken,
According to both the HH website and the Amex website, you only get gold for the 1st year with that card. Whereas the Citi card gives you gold as long as you are a member and the ability to hit Diamond with a spend if one so chooses.

We use Awardwallet for our keeping track, both that and TripIt are quite good.

I have been with HH a long time myself (card says 2002), just never used the credit card to go along with it. Recent devaluation by all chains made it worthwhile to pick it up.

EDIT:This from Amex site.

All Cardmembers receive HHonors Gold status complimentary for the first year. This means a 25% bonus on HHonors Base Points, and a host of hotel extras, like 24 hours in advance online check in and complimentary breakfast at participating properties. Spend $20,000 or more during each calendar year to maintain HHonors Gold Status.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/hilton-hhonors-surpass

Ken,
According to both the HH website and the Amex website, you only get gold for the 1st year with that card. Whereas the Citi card gives you gold as long as you are a member and the ability to hit Diamond with a spend if one so chooses.

We use Awardwallet for our keeping track, both that and TripIt are quite good.

I have been with HH a long time myself (card says 2002), just never used the credit card to go along with it. Recent devaluation by all chains made it worthwhile to pick it up.

EDIT:This from Amex site.

All Cardmembers receive HHonors Gold status complimentary for the first year. This means a 25% bonus on HHonors Base Points, and a host of hotel extras, like 24 hours in advance online check in and complimentary breakfast at participating properties. Spend $20,000 or more during each calendar year to maintain HHonors Gold Status.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/hilton-hhonors-surpass

Aha, you're right. We've maintained Gold status all along but we use the card a lot so that's probably why. I guess I had it so long that I assumed it was part of the deal -- my mistake.

Last edited:
Aha, you're right. We've maintained Gold status all along but we use the card a lot so that's probably why.

Gotcha. It was really hard choosing between Surpass and the newer Citi card. Both have annual fee, but waive the 1st year. Both have great opening signups, but the two free nights almost anywhere was hard to pass up from Citi. Surpass gives more points for gas and restaurants as well as stays, which is hard to pass up. The reason we went with Citi was the auto gold, although like you we might have maintained it anyway.

This way however, we can stay elsewhere if we have to and still keep gold.

Mikedean441 setup megaspreadsheet for his rewards program. Looking forward to seeing how it worked out.

Mikedean441 setup megaspreadsheet for his rewards program. Looking forward to seeing how it worked out.

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself. That Mikedean sure knows how to get a deal.

A month in January and then 3 weeks this month has added up well for a few much needed points with Quality Inn's. Not a big time name brand, but works for this old hillbilly.

I wouldn't mind seeing that myself. That Mikedean sure knows how to get a deal.

Mikedean Is a loser that has too much spare time lol.

Wanna review it a little more tomorrow and then anyone that wants it can have it, covers both travel and hotel rewards programs

A month in January and then 3 weeks this month has added up well for a few much needed points with Quality Inn's. Not a big time name brand, but works for this old hillbilly.

Nothing wrong with Choice Duey. They have a large selection of moderate motels and their points system is quite good.

Nothing wrong with Choice Duey. They have a large selection of moderate motels and their points system is quite good.

I agree - we stay at a Comfort Suites when we travel to visit my parents and it's a nice hotel. They aren't a premium brand but they seem to run a good operation and that counts.

The Marriott Visa arrived today. Its pretty cool that the card is actually made of metal.

The Marriott Visa arrived today. Its pretty cool that the card is actually made of metal.

Will make a nice clank when u slam it down to pay for sometuing

My chase sapphire card is very heavy, and about every person we hand the card to is like man this is heavy. It is a running joke with my wife and I now if they will mention it or not.

My chase sapphire card is very heavy, and about every person we hand the card to is like man this is heavy. It is a running joke with my wife and I now if they will mention it or not.

I believe they are the same cards actually.

I did a little checking last night and I have like six cards, 4 of them have anywhere from 8,000 to 26,000 points. Too bad I can't some how combine them, it just seems all stretched out and with most clubs needing 12,000 to 18,000 per night that won't go far.

I did a little checking last night and I have like six cards, 4 of them have anywhere from 8,000 to 26,000 points. Too bad I can't some how combine them, it just seems all stretched out and with most clubs needing 12,000 to 18,000 per night that won't go far.

Duey,
Check out a site called points.com. Its a terrible interface, but some points can be traded for others. Another option are the shopping portals. Most rewards programs have a shopping section where you can buy gift cards and items with your points. Its generally not a great deal, but its better than just letting them rot.

Duey,
Check out a site called points.com. Its a terrible interface, but some points can be traded for others. Another option are the shopping portals. Most rewards programs have a shopping section where you can buy gift cards and items with your points. Its generally not a great deal, but its better than just letting them rot.

Will do, thanks for the heads up.

Back