Does slow play affect your game?

Does slow play affect your game?

• Yes

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • NO

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters
It can completely kill my round

I answered yes but let me clarify. If I now it's gonna be slow, I have no issue but if its not expected and cant adjust then it bugs the heck out of me

my career low rounds have always been under or right at 3 hours

Yes. I can stiffen up a bit with long waits, but mostly I lose concentration as the day and time pass waiting,...waiting, ...what was I saying?

Yes, it does for sure. But my definition of slow play is 5h+ not 3h+ like some folks. I just can't seem to get comfortable over the ball when I've been waiting there forever, and you are constantly looking over you're shoulder at the group getting aggravated behind you. It just sucks.

Slow play is irritating but doesn't affect my play. Being pressured from behind, however, whether I am the source of delay or somebody in front of me, really screws up my play. I become more worried about speed of play than play. Not a pleasant round.

It does, but I refuse to let it ruin my day or my round.

Yes, it's horrible I get more nervous about the people behind me, because I don't want to slow people up and then play bad.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I hate slow golf!!!! My average round now takes about 3:40 and I haven't played a round that took over 4:15 in the last year other than a scramble.. I honestly dislike 4.5+ hour rounds so much I joined a private club 4 years ago so I didn't have to deal with it. On the few times a year I run into a slow bunch of golfers at my club, I skip a few holes or the rest of the nine to avoid it. Often if I'm playing as a twosome we can finish a round in 2:45 minutes.

It is tough to define "slow play." I went out with my wife yesterday, playing as a single with her just watching and nobody on the course. Naturally, I got around the course quickly.

However, I took my time walking to my ball as it was a beautiful day. I took 2 or 3 practice swings on my chips and pitches. I looked at my putts from both sides of the hole. In short, I enjoyed myself. I finished 9 in about 1:30 minutes, since as I said, nobody else was around. However, there are those would say that my play was slow. I didn't just step up and hit it. I didn't sprint from ball to ball. I had a wonderful unhurried round that finished quickly because of the lack of crowding. But did I play slowly or not?

It is tough to define "slow play." I went out with my wife yesterday, playing as a single with her just watching and nobody on the course. Naturally, I got around the course quickly.

However, I took my time walking to my ball as it was a beautiful day. I took 2 or 3 practice swings on my chips and pitches. I looked at my putts from both sides of the hole. In short, I enjoyed myself. I finished 9 in about 1:30 minutes, since as I said, nobody else was around. However, there are those would say that my play was slow. I didn't just step up and hit it. I didn't sprint from ball to ball. I had a wonderful unhurried round that finished quickly because of the lack of crowding. But did I play slowly or not?

Yes, that is slow. I would have finished 16 holes!:act-up:

I replied "No." Slow play doesn't affect me. As long as the group behind me realizes the pace is slow and isn't hitting into my group I'm fine.

Sure it does, I like a fast pace but I do try to adjust, sometimes good results come even with slow play.

I played a round with a friend of mine, he's a fast play lover as well...he plays about a 15-16 hcp...

We played the first 9 with a good and flowing pace...he was 1 over par after the first round....37 shots...the we got stuck behind a group for the second 9...he shot 50 strokes...man he was pissed.

I absolutely despise slow play and it kills my rhythm wether it be in my group or the course pace is slow. Nothing worse than having a nice rhythm going then coming up on a slow group(s) or course pace.

I play a lot of solo golf and am used to playing during the week early morning or midday rounds when the course is fairly empty. I do occasionally play in groups with strangers and friends.

I try to stress to the guys I play with from work or my brother to play ready golf, take the clubs you need or may need with you when you leave the cart. I will not wait for you to hit if you get to your ball then decide you dont have the right club or you hit your wedge then walk back to the cart to get your putter even if your away on the green.

Slow play absolutely kills me. It gets out of my rythm . I almost never have a good round when it's slow. Especially when it is caused by one group a few groups in front of you.

It only bothers me if everything is going along fine and then wham! Slow play sets in for no apparent reason. When I see the group in front of me is more than a hole behind, it bugs me.

If I know it will be slow from the get go, I'm fine.

Today's round is a perfect example. I was 2 under thru 3 and wasn't waiting at all. On hole 4 we had to wait the entire hole. We got on 5 (a drivable par 4 for me) and the waiting began even more! The guys in front of me knew I can bomb it and could see me waiting. Yet, they put the pin in and then all practiced putting. The group in front of them was already on the next green. My game slid from there and I ended up with a 37 for 9.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I replied "No." Slow play doesn't affect me. As long as the group behind me realizes the pace is slow and isn't hitting into my group I'm fine.

I agree with that. Unless it's ridiculous I've not particular problem with slow play in front of me. Usually the only time when pace of play effects me is when my own playing partners (who usually score 110-125) are constantly losing their balls. I have to help look for them and then jog over to my ball to play a rushed shot because the group behind has caught up. Never going to end well. Then that frustration filters into the rest of your game.

It depends what you class as slow play as I played last weekend and there were times when we were stood waiting for the group in front, yet the round was still finished in about 4hrs - it is the waiting around that sometimes throws me off my game

What bothers me more is when the course is 'slow' but the group behind insist on hitting into you - a couple times we were stood waiting to play our approaches to a par 4 (which you can see the tee from the green) and they hit their tee shots very close while we were waiting on the group in front to clear the green

It cracks me up how the vast majority of people think 4+ hours for a round of golf is slow. Here in New Zealand 99% of people walk courses and 4 hours is considered an average time, courses aren't overcrowded either and as a result there are very rarely times where you wait to play a shot. I couldn't tolerate being rushed around a course, its do my head in. Golf is meant to be relaxing, sure you can take it serious but chill out! Lol. Obviously I get annoyed though if I play alone or as a 2ball with a friend and we catch the back of a field but its easy enough to skip a few holes and come back to the missed ones later.

3hrs 30m to 3hrs 45m is probably an average time here for us as well - usually either a 2 or a 3 ball depending on who is available to play and we always walk but I don't consider it slow when it hits 4hrs if the course is busy. It is the people that insist on rushing round or trying to force the pace of people in front who are all keeping up that annoy me more than anything, although these tend to be few and far between fortunately

I used to play with someone who was always rushing to get round and even if the group in front were just leaving the next tee, he would be giving putts that were 4ft+ just to get to the next tee despite the fact we would then be waiting before we could tee off. Ever since he moved away and he wasn't part of the regular group I felt that my game started to improve as I didn't feel under any pressure to play my shot before I was ready. I am not a slow player and whenever we are out I will play ready golf, for example if someone in our group is in trees and has to hit out sideways I will play my shot before they are then back on the fairway to play their next shot.

I think everybody has their own rhythm but it is how you can adapt it to the fast/slow playing conditions that decides how much it will have an effect on your game

Absofrickinlutely! I have shot my best rounds when I have played with just myself or 1 or 2 guys and we played at a very brisk pace. I tend to lose focus after 4, 4 /12 hours on the course. I'd bet my HC is probably 3-4 strokes lower when playing fast. Playing fast removes the opportunity for me to think too much!

Nope. I'm not good enough to have a rhythm.

Waiting to hit my shot doesn't really effect me much. It does effect me mentally when things start slowing up. I get out of my rythm and start to try and speed myself up more than I am comfortable with. This is especially relevant when the guys I am playing with are responsible for the slow play. But even when it is the group in front of me, I still mentally tell myself to hurry as fast as possible for some reason.

Slow play is irritating but doesn't affect my play. Being pressured from behind, however, whether I am the source of delay or somebody in front of me, really screws up my play. I become more worried about speed of play than play. Not a pleasant round.

This for me too. I can deal with slow play right up until I start getting pressed from behind. Then even though there is nothing to be done, I start to press and my game goes south. Working on getting over that mental issue.

Back