Official 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this article touches on a lot of things I've been saying only on a much more technical level. As Bill Simmons said in his article for this link; "these 2013 Heat are already one of the best ball-movement teams ever assembled — along with the Russell-Cousy Celtics, Holzman's Knicks, Walton's Blazers, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, and on a less successful level, Webber's Kings and Nash's Suns. They're reinventing offensive basketball as we know it." It's quite long but if anyone has some time it's a good read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9098417/how-miami-heat-went-historic-winning-streak-came-dominate-league

I remember reading that when it was written. A really great article. Unfortunately, that Heat team hasn't really shown up with any consistency in the playoffs. When Wade is playing well, they're unstoppable (see that winning streak), but he's been hurt in the playoffs and it's really slowing the team down as a whole on offense. The way their offense has been allowed to operate this season has allowed for incredible creativity and has just baffled opponents. Giving Lebron all of that space to operate with some solid talent around him has just been so much fun to watch. I really hope that team shows up for the rest of the playoffs.

I remember reading that when it was written. A really great article. Unfortunately, that Heat team hasn't really shown up with any consistency in the playoffs. When Wade is playing well, they're unstoppable (see that winning streak), but he's been hurt in the playoffs and it's really slowing the team down as a whole on offense. The way their offense has been allowed to operate this season has allowed for incredible creativity and has just baffled opponents. Giving Lebron all of that space to operate with some solid talent around him has just been so much fun to watch. I really hope that team shows up for the rest of the playoffs.

I agree. Wade has been driving me crazy all playoffs. It's frustrating to watch. Unfortunately, I think the Wade we're seeing now is what we're going to get for the rest of the playoffs. Other guys need to step up. It would be nice to see the Heat team we saw all year show up because that team is fun to watch.

I agree. Wade has been driving me crazy all playoffs. It's frustrating to watch. Unfortunately, I think the Wade we're seeing now is what we're going to get for the rest of the playoffs. Other guys need to step up. It would be nice to see the Heat team we saw all year show up because that team is fun to watch.

I'm giving Wade a pass because he's playing hurt. Let's not forget this series was tied up 2-2 last year and the Heat lost Bosh to injury. I think the Birdman will have a monster game 5!!! :D

I'm giving Wade a pass because he's playing hurt. Let's not forget this series was tied up 2-2 last year and the Heat lost Bosh to injury. I think the Birdman will have a monster game 5!!! :D

They will again too. There is no reason in the world, that this Pacers team should be able to hang in a series with this Heat team.

We can certainly agree to disagree on how we view the game. It makes for good discussion. Having said that I'm not delusional about the talent discrepency between the two teams best players. Still think the Heat will win this series. Pacers are likely going to prove to be too young and too immature in big moments to overcome that talent gap.

Im not a Pacers fan at all and the fact that they are even hanging in there shows heart. I also dont disagree with them playing as a team, but I believe it is vastly overstated as when you watch them play, there is very little movement without the ball and a lot of isolation. A LOT.

FWIW, I rarely think stats tell a whole story in any sport.

Didn't catch this before but I think many are mistaking inconsistent execution by some young Pacer ball handlers for isolation offense. If you listen to Vogel in the time outs he is constantly on the team to make the extra pass and look for opportunities in transition. The scheme is not to isolate guys but to space correctly and move the ball until you get an advantage.

Watch Hibbert & West. When they are succsesful at getting open in the post it is rarely off a Stockton/Malone type two man game but usually off some kind of pin down or slipping a screen to get deep position.

The Heat also have a lot to do with the Pacers problems initiating the offense. They are very good defending the perimeter and closing passing lanes. When James & Wade can also play physical out there it gets really tough for pretty much anyone much less a team like the Pacers who don't play with a traditional point guard.

Saw this on the Pacer board this morning so for you guys that like the stats the Pacers are averaging 111 point per 100 possesions so far in this series. Would have been good enough to lead the league in the regular season this year so it's not all bad on that side of the ball for my squad.

I was not referring to the Pacers offense.
However they are very guilty of it. And FWIW, a coach can preach anything they want, it does not however mean its what is being done by the team.

Im not a Pacers fan at all and the fact that they are even hanging in there shows heart. I also dont disagree with them playing as a team, but I believe it is vastly overstated as when you watch them play, there is very little movement without the ball and a lot of isolation. A LOT.

FWIW, I rarely think stats tell a whole story in any sport.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this series with a healthy Danny Granger

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this series with a healthy Danny Granger

That's what I'm saying. I'm not a pacers fan by any means but they have a lot of good core players and if they are playing well together, they are tough to beat. Granger would just be icing on the cake

Pacers complain about Shane Battier playing dirty. While they are 100% correct, I bet if Lebron had complained about something of the sort, people would have jumped all over him for being a baby and said that the Pacers were too tough for him. Lol.

Though I'm a Heat fan I think I'm shifting to predict Indy taking this series. Miami, I believe, is better man for man however they are not playing to their potential. Some of it is Indy's great defense, some of it is the refs calling ticky tack fouls on Miami while being lenient with Hibbert, some of it is just Miami shooting poorly, and some of it is just Indy having the series of their lives (Hibbert avg'ing over 20 when in the regular season he avg'ed 9.4ppg and was often in foul trouble).

Let me just say this about flopping before I finish...for every flop Battier takes, he also gets absolutely run over with no charge called so I think it evens out in some strange way.

They will again too. There is no reason in the world, that this Pacers team should be able to hang in a series with this Heat team.

Completely agree. Pacers shouldn't be able to hang with the Heat. This series is tied at 2 and while Indy has played well it has way more to do with the Heat playing poorly. When the Heat play well they will beat Indy every time. Problem is Miami hasn't looked good all postseason, Indy is just the first team taking advantage of it.

We can certainly agree to disagree on how we view the game. It makes for good discussion. Having said that I'm not delusional about the talent discrepency between the two teams best players. Still think the Heat will win this series. Pacers are likely going to prove to be too young and too immature in big moments to overcome that talent gap.

It does make for great discussions. I always enjoy talking NBA with fellow fans.

Really excited for the game tonight. Lets see what Heat team shows up. Would like to see them come out hot right out of the gate. Usually in NBA games people like to joke that the game doesn't start until the 4th quarter but that hasn't been the case this series. The team that has won the 1st quarter has won all 4 games.

Go pacers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Some of the stuff in here is funny.

I like the intensity in the first half. Wasn't very pretty though, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Neither team executing on offense.

I like the intensity in the first half. Wasn't very pretty though, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Neither team executing on offense.

And Lebron is sucking to go along with the rest of the Heat. Surprised they're still in it.

And Lebron is sucking to go along with the rest of the Heat. Surprised they're still in it.

Clearly LeBron read THP at halftime and did not like what Dam had to say :alien:

Lol @ TNT cutting that clip short as Lebron turns and says very clearly "motherf---er!"

What do you know, the Miami Heat finally showed up. Great 3rd quarter from the Heat and LeBron was unbelievable.

What do you know, the Miami Heat finally showed up. Great 3rd quarter from the Heat and LeBron was unbelievable.

I missed most of it because my brother was watching the Spelling Bee, but I heard he scored/assisted on 25 of their 30 points I believe?

I missed most of it because my brother was watching the Spelling Bee, but I heard he scored/assisted on 25 of their 30 points I believe?

Yup. He played great.

Well I guess LeBron gets a 1:19 break. They look absolutely lost without him on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back