How many play a club that ban cell phones?

I think I've only had this come up twice in the last three years with playing partners.

I know I've gotten an emergency call to head to the ER where my kid was taken once. The phone stays with me. I'm smart enough to know what is and isn't appropriate without the Cell Police watching me.

They know people will still use their phones - they just don't want others to have to hear someone else's conversations. They allow you to have your phone turned on in mute mode. GPS would be fine. People still use their phones for an occasional text or if they are out on a hole where nobody else is around to hear them, they just don't use them when other are around. Many times there is an open hole or two in front or behind and if nobody in the foursome minds someone using their phone, they do. What it does do is make people be very discreet when using their phones.

Well this sounds perfectly logical. I had horror visions in my head of someone getting a call about their kid breaking his arm or something and the phone Nazis descending upon him haha. Sounds like it creates a nice golf focused atmosphere and is enforced reasonably, so I could probably get behind it. It is rather a steep fine though.

I've never been to a course that bans them because many folks now use their phone as a GPS and or round tracker... I have however been to courses that require you to silence your phone.

Well, it would SUCK for reviewing GPS apps, I can tell you that much.

I would like it if they only fined you for talking on it. Using a GPS or scorecard app should be fine, but talking on the phone at the golf course is supremely annoying.

I would not play at a club that bans cellphones. What's the point in banning them, just let people use their common sense.

Ludicrous.

I like the idea but in practice I think it's a terrible idea. While it is annoying waiting to tee off while someone you are paired with is having a conversation and I would love to be able to leave my phone at home, I run an emergency service department that runs 24/7. Like Blu said, if a customer calls and I'm not available there is a solid chance I will be losing that account as they're losing money every minute they have to wait.

I was playing with my grandfather two years ago on Father's Day and he received a call from the hospital that his wife had a stroke and was rushed into the ER.

I won't answer the phone unless it's important but if someone tried to fine me for answering a call like that it would be the last time I played that course. And if they won't fine you if it's an emergency, who defines what an emergency is?

I have a department to run and people rely on me to make decisions. Not all business takes place MOnday through Friday from 9:00-5:00. Be smart and respectful, turn your phone on vibrate and know when it is is appropriate. Bnning phones altogether seems to be the actions of a few people who have nothing else to do but ruin everyone else's time. I bet they are really fun at HOA meetings.

That just means they don't catch many people in the act. So they suck at enforcing it. It's still ridiculous. Is it OK if it's an emergency? And if so, who are they to decide what an emergency is? I hate it when someone holds up play because of a phone call but I have only ran into that a few times.

Then don't play a round with my cousin. NEVER has his phone on mute, and he will stop in the middle of his backswing to answer it.

While I try to limit the use of my phone to nothing while I'm on the course, business still goes on, and I have to accept business calls no matter the time or day. It's the way of life nowadays. Instead of being tied to a desk for 60 hours a week, I use my laptop/cell phone to escape the office, so I'm only there around 40 hours a week. I will handle business as quickly as possible and get back to playing ASAP. Usually I can handle business in less than 2 minutes, and don't hold up play at all. I'll just concede my turn to my playing partners and walk away so as not to be a distraction.

One of my regular partners runs a construction business, and has the same deal going on as well. We both know that that phone call can come at any time and expect it always, but in reality, it only happens once every few rounds.

If a course had a "No Cell Phone" policy, I simply could not play there.

Most courses I have played have policies stating that phones should not be used on the course except in cases of emergency. That is fine and reasonable.

I know that the interpretation of emergency will differ but someone talking to his mates about the footie or arranging a night of passion with the Mrs Does NOT constitute an emergency and I would be having words with people like this.

The club I caddied at banned all cell phone use except the parking lot as well.

THPing on Tapatalk

It is awesome when clubs have this rule. My father in laws club has it. First time offense warning. Second time offense $250.00 fine. When you eat there you never see anyone talking or texting in the dining room. No jackknobs talking on the phone on the range. No rings on the course because your partner didn't put the phone on vibrate. It is great. Makes you feel like the world is back to the 70's.

My honest opinion is that if you have to have a phone on the course then you shouldn't be playing. Go back to work.

It is awesome when clubs have this rule. My father in laws club has it. First time offense warning. Second time offense $250.00 fine. When you eat there you never see anyone talking or texting in the dining room. No jackknobs talking on the phone on the range. No rings on the course because your partner didn't put the phone on vibrate. It is great. Makes you feel like the world is back to the 70's.

My honest opinion is that if you have to have a phone on the course then you shouldn't be playing. Go back to work.

That's easy for someone to say who obviously doesn't have a job that will eat into every waking hour if you allow it or requires big money decisions be made on the spot. When there's millions on the line for your employer, they want you to answer the phone. And if you want those bonuses and big paychecks, you answer the phone.

It's a part of today's society, and the way people are expected to work in many professions. You're on a leash 24/7. I guess if you want to make $40k a year and have some private time, it sounds good, but unfortunately, many of the higher paying jobs have to be able to contact you at all times.

Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with work. My phone will always be on me in case my kids need me.

That's easy for someone to say who obviously doesn't have a job that will eat into every waking hour if you allow it or requires big money decisions be made on the spot. When there's millions on the line for your employer, they want you to answer the phone. And if you want those bonuses and big paychecks, you answer the phone.

It's a part of today's society, and the way people are expected to work in many professions. You're on a leash 24/7. I guess if you want to make $40k a year and have some private time, it sounds good, but unfortunately, many of the higher paying jobs have to be able to contact you at all times.

Then you shouldn't be on the course.

I should stay off the course because some snobbish bore wants to feel like they're in the 1970's again? Everyone that I play golf with are Professionals in their fields and have to occasionally take an unwanted phone call.

And reading through the responses, I'd say that you're definitely in the minority on this subject. Life happens for most people, get over it.

I guess I don't see cell phone use as a big problem. I can see where at at PGA Tournament where it can cause problems for the players where that could be a problem, but for a recreational round of golf I really see no problem.

I do when I read something like this:

Then don't play a round with my cousin. NEVER has his phone on mute, and he will stop in the middle of his backswing to answer it.

People like your cousin (no offense) result in needlessly slow play, which I think most agree is an actual problem.

So somebody should never play golf because there is a possibility that they will need to take a phone call? Give me a break.

I do when I read something like this:

People like your cousin (no offense) result in needlessly slow play, which I think most agree is an actual problem.

How often do you run into this situation?

I often don't know what the specific hold up is, but if we're talking about slow play then I'll say far too often. I'll turn that around- you cool with being held up on the course by someone yacking/fiddling with their phone in front of you? I work at a University campus where I've literally witnessed a girl tumble down concrete steps because she was looking at her phone rather than where she was walking- the last thing the game needs is more excuses for holding up play. We're there to golf, put the phone away for peat's sake. I also remember a time before everyone had their phone on them. In an absolute emergency you could call the course and they can come find you. How often do people experience true emergencies on the course?

That rule wouldn't last too long at my course, a lot of people work and play at the same time!

I often don't know what the specific hold up is, but if we're talking about slow play then I'll say far too often. I'll turn that around- you cool with being held up on the course by someone yacking/fiddling with their phone in front of you? I work at a University campus where I've literally witnessed a girl tumble down concrete steps because she was looking at her phone rather than where she was walking- the last thing the game needs is more excuses for holding up play. We're there to golf, put the phone away for peat's sake. I also remember a time before everyone had their phone on them. In an absolute emergency you could call the course and they can come find you. How often do people experience true emergencies on the course?

Honestly, I highly doubt that people yacking on cell phones is the reason for slow play on golf courses.

When I see someone on their phone it doesn't bother me one bit because I don't know the nature of that call. It could be an important business phone call, or it could simply be a little kid wanting to talk to his/her mom/dad. Either way I don't expect life to stop just because I'm playing golf. I also don't expect people to have to be shut off from the outside world just because they are on a golf course.

However, if the group in front of me is blatantly holding me up because they are too busy talking on their cell phone, yes I would get frustrated. But like I said, that is a very rare thing and I don't think it's necessary to let a couple people ruin it for everybody.

I'm not disagreeing with any of what you said, but there is a line that can be crossed with phone usage. That's all I'm saying. It's why I used the example of the girl falling down the stairs- lack of situational awareness. The same can happen if you're so absorbed with your phone that it holds up play- I'm sure it happens on courses every day even if it's not in front of us all the time. It's just the way people are with their phones these days. I personally don't want to be bothered when I'm playing, unless it's a true emergency of course.

Back