Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Nah, I refuse, these effers are indestructible.

I like it. So am I going to get a message when you need to hit the 3?

I like it. So am I going to get a message when you need to hit the 3?

If I hit the 3 like I do the 4, nope.

Well, probably for old times sake.

Went to a demo day where they had the Altitude irons. I hit the 9, 7, 5, & 4 in regular flex graphite. I was not distracted by the look of them at all at address and just swung like it was an iron. My conclusion after hitting about 40 balls -- these things are stupid. Just stupid. All I had to do was put a swing on it and watch it fly. Uggh. On my last few swings you could actually hear my debit and credit cards weeping and one of them tried to run away. I'm beyond pondering. I skipped that step and advanced straight to the rationalization stage to try to justify the idea of buying them.

Went to a demo day where they had the Altitude irons. I hit the 9, 7, 5, & 4 in regular flex graphite. I was not distracted by the look of them at all at address and just swung like it was an iron. My conclusion after hitting about 40 balls -- these things are stupid. Just stupid. All I had to do was put a swing on it and watch it fly. Uggh. On my last few swings you could actually hear my debit and credit cards weeping and one of them tried to run away. I'm beyond pondering. I skipped that step and advanced straight to the rationalization stage to try to justify the idea of buying them.

EXACTLY what I witnessed/went-through on the course to make me decide to say eff it I'm playing them.

Haha, welcome to the club.

I tried the Altitudes on a launch monitor yesterday along with my current Razr X. Compared 6 irons.

Per LM I hit my Razr 6 160 carry, 170 total with a draw, which is consistent with what I see on the course.

The Altitude 6 was longer,180 with a couple of shots rolling out to 195. All shots with REG, graphite shafts. That's crazy long for me with a 6-iron.

Downside is that every Altitude shot was a push/fade or slice. Couldn't straighten it out. Even switching clubs shot by shot....Razr X = Draw, Alt = push/Fade.

Weight didn't feel very different to me. Must have been the extra wind resistance :)

Maybe you need a more upright lie angle with the Altitudes?

Hahaha, stupid. I have used that word a few times with these. So insanely easy to hit.

Hard to believe these are USGA legal. :angel:

Hahaha, stupid. I have used that word a few times with these. So insanely easy to hit.

Hard to believe these are USGA legal. :angel:

Every time I hit hit the 8i into a green the other day during my 27, "That's just stupid".

I really hate to say this, but I believe this thread (and all others involving Altitudes) is going to force THP and me to be on a break. I want and need so badly to love my current irons, but reading these threads just makes me long for something more. If only my wallet and wife felt the same way.

And it is done. Ordered 5-gw since I like my hybrid and the store gave me 20% off to match the 15% off that Golfsmith is running through the weekend (since I have to pay sales tax through the store). Should have them in a week. I figure this is a natural progression. Almost 50 - check. 7 wood - check. And now a hybrid set of irons. Soon I will be wearing pulled up black socks while standing in line with the 4:00 pm dinner crowd, and wearing a sweet Members Only jacket.

And it is done. Ordered 5-gw since I like my hybrid and the store gave me 20% off to match the 15% off that Golfsmith is running through the weekend (since I have to pay sales tax through the store). Should have them in a week. I figure this is a natural progression. Almost 50 - check. 7 wood - check. And now a hybrid set of irons. Soon I will be wearing pulled up black socks while standing in line with the 4:00 pm dinner crowd, and wearing a sweet Members Only jacket.

Nice!

If it makes you feel better, I'm 29, wear velcro shoes, and am playing them. :alien:

Great purchase Haggis, congrats man!

Great purchase Haggis, congrats man!

Thanks. The only thing I stewed over was whether to get the SW as well since I'm sure it's easier to hit consistently than my ATV 56, especially since I have room to carry both SWs. I was thinking Altitude SW on full shots and ATV for touch shots/sand play. That's how I play my current set. I can always go back and add that one down the road I suppose.

Congrats on the purchase Haggis!

Maybe you need a more upright lie angle with the Altitudes?

Could be. I am 2* upright usually. Haven't seen lie have such a consistent impact before though. Something to look at.

Got the 4 iron in today. Hit a few bombs outside into the corn field.
easy to hit, cant wait to take it on course.

Nice!

If it makes you feel better, I'm 29, wear velcro shoes, and am playing them. :alien:

This made me laugh.

hes dead serious! love Jman and his altitudes.... i can't wait to see how G4L plays when he gets his.... only a matter of time.

I rock the snot out of that velcro.

I'm not lying when I say I'm incredibly eager to get out and at it again with these.

I wish I lived closer to JamesMan so I could watch him hit Velcro 8hyron bombs time after time.

I wish I lived closer to JamesMan so I could watch him hit Velcro 8hyron bombs time after time.

I'm embracing the hyron's all the way. I'm looking forward to the looks I get, because I've got a velcro shoe'd smile for them.

I'm embracing the hyron's all the way. I'm looking forward to the looks I get, because I've got a velcro shoe'd smile for them.

The looks won't be due to the clubs but the distance that you hit them!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The looks won't be due to the clubs but the distance that you hit them!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully! I've got the itch to start playing men's league now just to start taking money with them too.

You guys are killing me! I've been following this thread and hearing everyone talking about how awesome these clubs are and that has made me want a set of them and I know the wife is not going to be happy about me getting another set of clubs.... She will probably threaten me with divorce if I get them but oh well I must have them!

Back