Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Got these out to the range today. I'm just going to be honest and say it was not a good first day. I was completely off. For some reasons I am struggling right now. I can't seem to get a good grip on the club and it all falls apart from there.

These irons are stunners. I wish I could say I hit them well. The hosel got quite the workout today. Heck the ferrule is solid on this sucker. It takes a hit and doesn't crack.

It'll come around dude. Don't worry.
Besides, you have 7 ringers on your squad that can carry you if need be.

The combo of the DPC's and the PXi's is simply money! Everyone that I've let swing one has walked away very impressed and in ponder mode which is quite a few people because Bridgestone clubs up here are quite the rare sighting.

Great pics there Amol. Absolutely gorgeous irons.

Had a massive range session today, mainly focusing on these irons. After the session, I can't wait to get these out on the course!

My session started out like Chunky's the other day: horrible swings all over the place with multiple hosel rockets. As Chunky stated, the hosel is pretty stout on these. ;-) Anyways, I decided to keep at it and sort out my swing, and after that, I saw some good results. Early in the session, the wind was slightly at my back, so that helped. I had my Rocketbladez Tour 5, 7, and 9 irons out there too for some comparisons. I alternated between the J40 DPC irons and the Rocketbladez Tour irons for about an hour. I found that the average distances were fairly similar between the 2 sets except that the Rocketbladez Tour 5 iron was maybe a slight bit longer than the J40 DPC 5 iron. However, the highest carry distances with all of the irons came with the J40 DPC irons. This was my first time hitting a full set of irons with Project X PXi shafts in there, and I loved it! I'm not very good at all putting descriptions of feel into words, I just know what I like to feel and what doesn't feel good. All I can say about the PXi shafts is that while they may not be silky smooth like the KBS Tour shafts, they are definitely not harsh at all. The really cool thing is that when I come into impact, I just feel like there is more mass behind the ball compared to the irons that I have with KBS Tour shafts in them, I guess that's the difference in the kick between the 2 shafts. These irons also feel very soft on center-of-the-face contact.

After the comparison session and some short game work, I came back and hit one bucket where I simulated playing a local course. I like to do this sometimes because it keeps me from getting into a groove with a certain iron. I did struggle with some pulls with these irons, I think that it was an alignment problem but it may be due to the slightly lower weight of the PXi shafts compared to the KBS Tour shafts. However, the thing I really enjoyed in hitting these irons tonight is that the side-to-side dispersion is tighter than with the Rocketbladez Tour irons. I'm not a great golfer, I'm going to miss my targets multiple times in each round. But if I can miss side-to-side by 5 yards instead of 15 yards, then that's the difference between a GIR and missing the green. Putting is probably the best part of my game, so increasing my GIR is a huge focus of mine at this time. I feel like these irons are going to give me that chance based on the first range session.

The only bad part about tonight: I dropped my PW on the pavement behind the mat and it already has some scratches on the back of the club head. :-( At least it's nothing that I can see at address, but it was a disheartening moment.

I'm hoping to get out for 18 holes tomorrow, will update this thread accordingly.

New to this forum and was shocked to find such an extensive thread on these irons that don't seem to be very mainstream. I picked up my J40 DPCs about a month ago and fell in love instantly. I hate looking at clubs with lots of offset and these have about the same offset as a set of Titleist 712 MBs which is fantastic. The foregiveness is great for a club that has such a "players" look to it. If I had the game I'd play blades as I like the traditional look. These irons seem to be the absolute best compromise available to get that look and feel with the foregiveness to suit my game. Playing these in the stock PX Flighted 6.5 shafts which have been working really well for me so far.

Thinking about adding the J40 wedges to replace my aging Vokeys. Seem to be a good match to the irons, never had wedges with the PX shaft though and wondering how they'd be for touch shots.

Had a massive range session today, mainly focusing on these irons. After the session, I can't wait to get these out on the course!

My session started out like Chunky's the other day: horrible swings all over the place with multiple hosel rockets. As Chunky stated, the hosel is pretty stout on these. ;-) Anyways, I decided to keep at it and sort out my swing, and after that, I saw some good results. Early in the session, the wind was slightly at my back, so that helped. I had my Rocketbladez Tour 5, 7, and 9 irons out there too for some comparisons. I alternated between the J40 DPC irons and the Rocketbladez Tour irons for about an hour. I found that the average distances were fairly similar between the 2 sets except that the Rocketbladez Tour 5 iron was maybe a slight bit longer than the J40 DPC 5 iron. However, the highest carry distances with all of the irons came with the J40 DPC irons. This was my first time hitting a full set of irons with Project X PXi shafts in there, and I loved it! I'm not very good at all putting descriptions of feel into words, I just know what I like to feel and what doesn't feel good. All I can say about the PXi shafts is that while they may not be silky smooth like the KBS Tour shafts, they are definitely not harsh at all. The really cool thing is that when I come into impact, I just feel like there is more mass behind the ball compared to the irons that I have with KBS Tour shafts in them, I guess that's the difference in the kick between the 2 shafts. These irons also feel very soft on center-of-the-face contact.

After the comparison session and some short game work, I came back and hit one bucket where I simulated playing a local course. I like to do this sometimes because it keeps me from getting into a groove with a certain iron. I did struggle with some pulls with these irons, I think that it was an alignment problem but it may be due to the slightly lower weight of the PXi shafts compared to the KBS Tour shafts. However, the thing I really enjoyed in hitting these irons tonight is that the side-to-side dispersion is tighter than with the Rocketbladez Tour irons. I'm not a great golfer, I'm going to miss my targets multiple times in each round. But if I can miss side-to-side by 5 yards instead of 15 yards, then that's the difference between a GIR and missing the green. Putting is probably the best part of my game, so increasing my GIR is a huge focus of mine at this time. I feel like these irons are going to give me that chance based on the first range session.

The only bad part about tonight: I dropped my PW on the pavement behind the mat and it already has some scratches on the back of the club head. :-( At least it's nothing that I can see at address, but it was a disheartening moment.

I'm hoping to get out for 18 holes tomorrow, will update this thread accordingly.

Great first results Ary!!

Had a quick range session and played a 9 hole scramble tonight....still seeing a few big hooks, I think it has alot to do with going from 120 gram shafts to 95 grams...I seem to get a little quick through impact creating pull hook....when I do manage to get a smooth swing the ball flys of the face.

Another range session and hopefully 18 holes tomorrow.

Struggled tonight. Something is completely wrong with me right now and thus I can't really review anything. I can say that if you hit the hosel with these, they react much the same as any other iron. The range guy took quite a few swings with these and he was loving them.

Got these out yesterday in a scramble tournament and overall the results I would grade a C. I hit some great shots and I hit some real stinkers. I am having more trouble with the longer irons than the shorter ones and not exactly sure why. Gonna keep working at it till i sort it out and get these all working together!!.

Had a so so range session with these guys yesterday. Started with PW and worked my way up to my 5i. I've tweaked my iron swing a bit and while I feel like I am making better contact through the ball, it's taking some getting used to. Probably hit just as many bad shots as good ones.

I am noticing that I am really getting a good, high ball flight with these irons paired with the PXi's. I'm not losing any distance, which is nice.

Still loving the feel of these bad boys when you flush one. Even on mis hits, you really aren't punished that much unless you smack one off the hosel.

Had a so so range session with these guys yesterday. Started with PW and worked my way up to my 5i. I've tweaked my iron swing a bit and while I feel like I am making better contact through the ball, it's taking some getting used to. Probably hit just as many bad shots as good ones.

I am noticing that I am really getting a good, high ball flight with these irons paired with the PXi's. I'm not losing any distance, which is nice.

Still loving the feel of these bad boys when you flush one. Even on mis hits, you really aren't punished that much unless you smack one off the hosel.

Still early in the relationship plenty of time to go buddy

Still early in the relationship plenty of time to go buddy

Just chalking it up to one of those nights. Hoping to get 18 in on Sunday so we will see how it goes.

New to this forum and was shocked to find such an extensive thread on these irons that don't seem to be very mainstream. I picked up my J40 DPCs about a month ago and fell in love instantly. I hate looking at clubs with lots of offset and these have about the same offset as a set of Titleist 712 MBs which is fantastic. The foregiveness is great for a club that has such a "players" look to it. If I had the game I'd play blades as I like the traditional look. These irons seem to be the absolute best compromise available to get that look and feel with the foregiveness to suit my game. Playing these in the stock PX Flighted 6.5 shafts which have been working really well for me so far.

Thinking about adding the J40 wedges to replace my aging Vokeys. Seem to be a good match to the irons, never had wedges with the PX shaft though and wondering how they'd be for touch shots.

Now you see the need for such an extensive thread. The J40 DPC are as solid if iron as any on the market. If you do go with the wedges, you will not be disappointed

How did this range session compare to a usual session with your old clubs? Bout the same? Worse or better?

How did this range session compare to a usual session with your old clubs? Bout the same? Worse or better?

Better. I hit these soo much better than my Mizunos. It's like night and day. Just tweaked some things with my swing that I am getting ingrained in my muscle memory.

Better. I hit these soo much better than my Mizunos. It's like night and day. Just tweaked some things with my swing that I am getting ingrained in my muscle memory.

Ok, build on that. If it was better than previous sessions you are making progress.

I am a new member....just wanted to say thank you to everyone for a great discussion.
I am set on going to these irons. I am coming from Srixon ZTX irons.

I have gamed S300 shafts for quite some time and I am very pleased with results. I have limited experience with project shafts...the few times I have hit them, was not a fan. In speaking to many local fitters and pros here, just about everyone unanimously agrees that projects are just not that good a shaft and that DGS300 are a solid pick. I want to make sure that I am not missing something here. I understand shafts are a personal preference, so I am leaning toward custom order with S300. Should I consider project (6.0, 5.5)? As many know, it is nearly impossible to get Bridgestones for demo, so I am basically ordering sight unseen. Thanks in advance for the replies.

You are absolutely correct that shafts are a personal preference. I would suggest trying to find a different iron set-up with both shafts in it and see how both feel for you. ( if the j40s are not available that is). Other here are more knowledgeable than I on the details of the differences between the two shafts and maybe they can/will chime in as well. I can say from a personal stand point I have the stock Project X 5.5 shafts in mine and I like them.

I am a new member....just wanted to say thank you to everyone for a great discussion.

I have gamed S300 shafts for quite some time and I am very pleased with results. I have limited experience with project shafts...the few times I have hit them, was not a fan. In speaking to many local fitters and pros here, just about everyone unanimously agrees that projects are just not that good a shaft and that DGS300 are a solid pick. I want to make sure that I am not missing something here. I understand shafts are a personal preference, so I am leaning toward custom order with S300. Should I consider project (6.0, 5.5)? As many know, it is nearly impossible to get Bridgestones for demo, so I am basically ordering sight unseen. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Welcome to THP!

When it comes to shafts it is completely a matter of what YOU like and what fits YOU as you said. Ordering irons with a shaft you've never hit before could be a risky move, regardless of the positive feedback you've read online. The safe play is to order what you already know you like and you know performs for you or try and go through some kind of fitting process where you can try out all your options.

PX feel is possibly the most love/hate of any iron shaft. You either love it or you hate it. There seems to be no in between. If it fits your swing profile they are a fantastic shaft. But if you have tried them before and did not like them, they won't feel any better in the DPC's. The shaft is probably not for you. I would try and hit some irons with a few different shafts. Maybe a store near you has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? If no to those 2 possibilities, I would go with what is tried and true

Thanks for the replies.
I have hit Mizuno optimizer. 1. Project 6.0 2. X100 ss 3. KBS Tour Stiff. I can change the recommendation by changing my tempo a bit. I usually over swing during the eval (haha) so I know that my swing profile is a little more controlled that what I get from Mizuno. Have tried all the shaft configs it recommended, but X100 is far too much for me, Projects just felt a little to harsh, and KBS too light, but not horrible. In the end, I have stuck with s300. I guess that's my best option.

Anybody play with swingweight on these? I have a J36 blade 6 iron I use for range practice. It's D3. I hit it great but when I went to my J40s I was fading them quite a bit and just not making as solid contact (more shots off toe). Added lead to the 6 iron to bring it to D3 and boom...solid contact and straight flight. So, took all the clubs in and out them on the swingweight scale at local GG and added lead to bring them all to D3. Not exactly pretty, but excited to get them on the course. If it works really well I may eventually have someone pull the shafts and do tips weights because I do love the look of the J40s.

Really starting to get these dialed in....love the feedback I get from these irons.

Really starting to get these dialed in....love the feedback I get from these irons.

Thats awesome tim, keep up the solid golf. I cant wait to spend some more time w8th mine...gotta get them dialed in.

I would love to see the become more available in our area. But being so remote here in the DC Metropolitan area I guess I need to look somewhere golf is played. Can't even get a line on a used set unless its way above the market value

Back