Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I'd do it in a second. I'm not an anti-clunkite.

I like it.

I was. Now I'm not. It's been a strange 7 days.

I have a genuine question for both DHill and Hawk. You are seeing ball flights you like and evidently hitting these clubs well. Dhill even said it was his favorite club in the bag. Since I am guessing that neither of you work the ball all that much, what would keep you from using the entire set?

I really wouldn't mind trying a full set. I think Cleveland has done a fine job up and down the set. When you first see a long iron you would assume the short ones "look" the same, but the further you go down the set the "smaller" the iron seems to get, if that makes sense.

I think the only problem I would have head lies between my ears. Thinking about a bigger iron and swinging it differently because of it.

I am looking forward to hitting someones short iron altitudes at some point because while I love the 5i, I also am really in love with the TT's. I have so much confidence standing over them and firing at the greens right now. The ball flight is phenomenal.

JB do you have a left handed set of these that you could bring to the New England invitational? I'd love to get some time with the altitudes on the range.

Got back out for another round yesterday with these in the bag. Did not have my best game as I struggled with a case of the thins that left me 20-30 yards long on several approaches....but I did play around and try a few things I hadn't previously.

Used the ALT 4 off the tee twice, first time was a high push right that I lost in a creek - think I had it just a bit too far back in the stance and caught it with the face open. Second attempt was on a short dogleg left par 4 and I put a great move on the ball to the tune of about 185 dead middle of the FW for a perfect look at the green.

Also had a chance to use the DW several times as its a new addition to the bag, really liking how easy it is to hit when I get under 105 as opposed to trying to hit a traditional blade style wedge. Typically this is a shot I am left with quite a bit and there is no middle ground with a blade style wedge....I either hit a great shot or a terrible shot. Now even if I catch it just a tad heavy I stand a decent chance of still hitting the green given the minimal distance loss that the ALT's provide.

I had a shot from about 200 out yesterday where I needed to play a low line drive hard draw. Long story short, I hit it great but the draw was minimal....I was still pin high on the par 5 in 2 and managed a par but was 40 yards right of the green on another tee box. Next time I will likely try to use a choked down 3w which may work a little bit easier as these irons just like going straight - although I was able to keep the flight down nicely.

Heading out again tomorrow afternoon to get more work in.

Only got to play nine holes this weekend with these. Didn't play great, but the Altitudes didn't fail to impress again.

The main reason for getting these (for me, anyway) was added forgiveness in the longer irons, and while that certainly, exists, I can't get over how much fun it is to hit the mid-short irons in this set. 7-8-9 into any green (if I am lucky enough to have that distance left with the current tee box adventures I am experiencing) is just a blast. A nice, smooth swing gives a great ball flight with enough height and spin to easily hold greens.

A couple of shots that stood out yesterday: tee shot on the third (par three, elevated green - hole usually plays about 10 yards longer than the stated distance) - 165 to the flag (about 5 paces on)...hit a very good five iron that ended up about 20-25 feet passed the hole. Impressive distance from just a nice solid swing. Another par three tee shot - 143 (Leupold distance) with a little tailwind; 9 iron to just right of the green, pin high. Obviously not the result I was looking for - ended up just hanging the ball out right instead of a small draw back to the green, but to get a nine iron to that distance for me was great.

Really loving this iron experience so far. If I could stop leaving myself 205 yards into so many greens, maybe I could even put up a score or two...

Muahahahahaha!

Muahahahahaha!

What a tease.

Let me guess......you shot 76 this morning and are playing another 18.....cause the Altitudes make the game easier and more fun.

How close am I?

What a tease.

Let me guess......you shot 76 this morning and are playing another 18.....cause the Altitudes make the game easier and more fun.

How close am I?

You sir, are good. It's like you KNEW!

But they're shovels so it doesn't matter, right?

You sir, are good. It's like you KNEW!

But they're shovels so it doesn't matter, right?

Shovels are good.

Good at digging the graves of my competitors.

Congrats dude. These things are game changers for you buddy

Anyone who can get over the looks dude. I believe that now.

Excited to see what the C-Taper Lites do in them.

What a tease.

How close am I?
But, he was shooting 76s before the Altitudes too?

Jman... What do you attribute to your success with them? Your iron play has long been one of your strengths on the course, so is it the limitation of misses or the added distance that is making these such game changers?

He's right here War. Hi buddy!!!! Miss you! Haha

Not in a good while, and not getting away with some BAD swings. I mean that. The 76 was an easy 80+ with some of the shots I got away with.

More upper 70's I think....but I won't steal his thunder. I didn't say he was not shooting low scores before or that this was his lowest.....but I bet he says that golf is more enjoyable now.

Easier to shoot low scores will be a common theme I think.

He's right here War. Hi buddy!!!! Miss you! Haha

Not in a good while, and not getting away with some BAD swings. I mean that. The 76 was an easy 80+ with some of the shots I got away with.
That's what I was asking, is it the limit of missed shots that are the difference makers?

That's awesome dude.

Jman... What do you attribute to your success with them? Your iron play has long been one of your strengths on the course, so is it the limitation of misses or the added distance that is making these such game changers?

It's all about what you can get away with dude, my i20's were really good for my toe miss, but nothing like these are for any miss really. Yes a terrible swing is still terrible result but you can get away with a hell of a lot more with these.

I have always taken pride in how I can get irons and compress a golf ball, but easier is easier.

I'm intrigued by the whole "golf is more enjoyable" side of things with these irons, I guess. Maybe it's just me, I dunno. I must be weird.

I am right there with you War. I really want to love these but it hasn't worked out yet.

I'm intrigued by the whole "golf is more enjoyable" side of things with these irons, I guess. Maybe it's just me, I dunno. I must be weird.

Whatcha mean?

More enjoyable for me because the game is easier. Feel I can still shoot a decent score even if I dont have a great swing that day. Kinda like when I hit one fat or off the toe and I still make it to the front of the green. Doesn't always happen but it happens much more than previously for me.

Should have clarified: me saying having a great swing is like calling the SI Swimsuit supermodel fat but hopefully you get the point.

I see that my Nippon shafts are an option with these. I guess a shaft that says "Pro" and is Japanese would make these a little more serious. Since I am a serious golfer.

For me, what that means is I don't feel like I have to truly "get after" or "be on" with every swing. I've honestly swing more freely these two rounds than I have since I was a 90's golfer, I know I can get away with some "off" swings so I just stop thinking and swing. That in itself lends to hitting better shots regardless of the iron at address, these are giving confidence, confidence is letting me just play the game. That's why it's more fun, not so much that they are better than my i20's or j40's, they just get my head clear.

Maybe that helps explain my giddiness?

For me, what that means is I don't feel like I have to truly "get after" or "be on" with every swing. I've honestly swing more freely these two rounds than I have since I was a 90's golfer, I know I can get away with some "off" swings so I just stop thinking and swing. That in itself lends to hitting better shots regardless of the iron at address, these are giving confidence, confidence is letting me just play the game. That's why it's more fun, not so much that they are better than my i20's or j40's, they just get my head clear.

Maybe that helps explain my giddiness?
Makes complete sense to me, dude. Similar to how I feel about the MT long irons compared to long irons I have gamed in the past. No hesistation to pull them from the bag. Get my distance, grab a club, hit my shot.

I am right there with you War. I really want to love these but it hasn't worked out yet.

It didn't for me either until I finally just put them all in the bag and started swinging with them the entire time.

Back