TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

The Diamana comparison is a pretty solid one. I think that shaft was just a touch more stiff than the R1 stock shaft, but they are in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Just popped into this thread to say I hit the R1 at demo day. It's a driver I've never liked the look of really, and I've said before that I don't get on with white drivers, and I didn't like the R11 one bit.

I liked this club. It felt really nice through impact and it goes a long way. There, I've said it now. It surprised me and I'd game this.

have searched a few different posts on the stock shaft rip 55...anyway my question is does anyone ever use that golfworks shaft oem 4 digit code, when searching for shaft specs?

reason i ask is that i am interested in the r1 and fall usually between regular and stiff.

they list the regular flex shaft as a 3B2S (77-92 mph driver, both distance and control, med height and slice correction)
the stiff they have as a 4B2M 93-107 mph driver, both distance and control, med height, and no correction.

here is a link to the page http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_496
and the oem shaft listing for taylor made http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_376

well my misses are usually left and more hooks and pulls then anything so based on that i think i am out for the regular flex rip 55 on the R1...plus some others on here have said the shaft feels a little light in flex.

anyone care to chime in?

current driver is an R9 supertri tp with a aldila rip alpha 65 with regular flex...also cant just go get fitted as i am a few hours away from any reputable fitters.

I've looked at those codes before, but I don't think I had ever seen the OEM Replacement Guide where the stocks were coded...so thanks for that.

I'm right at a 93-94 mph driver speed, and I thought the stiff was ok. Definitely stiffer than some other stock shafts, but not as stiff as other aftermarket shafts that Golfworks also classifies as 4B2M. After the testing, I opted for another shaft I had (Miyazaki Kusala Blue 61S - also a 4B2M) that is a bit stiffer, and it has been a great combo. For me, if I am in between, I always opt for the stiffer version as I feel that the dispersion is tightened up, even if I lose a few yards...but that is because I need the better control.

Nice, same $349.99 price as the white, but they don't have a crown pic yet.

No info on this at the taylormade site yet. Let me add to cart on global golf but when I try to check out get an error and says cart is empty...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

here's another question...so essentially adding loft is closing the face...so if i want to hit a higher ball i am going to have to add loft (shut the face) making my misses even more left then they already are with a neutral setting on my R9...correct?

Nice, same $349.99 price as the white, but they don't have a crown pic yet.

rutunyvu.jpg

Here is a pic from TM's facebook.

here's another question...so essentially adding loft is closing the face...

See page 94 of this thread for a user provided chart on the effects on open / closed by changing the loft setting.

so if i want to hit a higher ball i am going to have to add loft (shut the face)
Yes

making my misses even more left then they already are with a neutral setting on my R9...correct?
No, because you then change the setting on the little compass to open the face back up. It is the perfect illustration of the beauty of this club and its total adjustability.

See page 94 of this thread for a user provided chart on the effects on open / closed by changing the loft setting.

Yes

No, because you then change the setting on the little compass to open the face back up. It is the perfect illustration of the beauty of this club and its total adjustability.

but the compass thing really only works if you sole the club, correct?

what if you hover the driver, i assume the compass sole plate is irrelevant?

but the compass thing really only works if you sole the club, correct?

what if you hover the driver, i assume the compass sole plate is irrelevant?

I don't really have a great understanding of the sole-ing the club concept and how this feature should/should not work. My lay person experience is that changing that setting somehow does affect ball flight. There was a more in depth discussion of this issue earlier in the thread which probably would be more helpful.

My driver SS is low 90's, often right between these two flexes also. I do not think the shaft is on the lighter end of the flex spectrum at all, at least between R and S. The stock stiff shaft (which I have) isn't a board, but it isn't particularly active at the tip. If the R flex is similar and you equate active tip to the lower flex then you may be fine with the R. I don't hate the stock shaft but it is probably just a little stiff at the tip for my liking, sometimes creating the impression that it isn't especially responsive, etc. Also, remember that the club is SUPER adjustable and this will help (but not fix) your miss. One of the benefits of that adjustability is we are not 100% stuck with the old dynamic of needing stiffer flex shaft to help with hooks and vice versa.

I too have a SS in the low 90's and always found myself falling between R and S flex. I have had great results with the stock Phenom 55 in stiff and also the Project X Black in 5.5 in the R1 but both I find are a little unresponsive for me in the tip. I have just pulled the trigger and got a Matrix RUL 60 in Reg and played 3 rounds with it so far. The results were nothing short of epic! This combo is the straightest, tightest and longest driver I have ever owned yet I still get a great feeling of load in the shaft (which I like) and response in the tip which has definitely added a few MPH on the SS. I would fully recommend giving it a try. Even my bad high right block (which the R1 tamed anyway) with the RUL is now not punishing me at all. Often after a swing that I know has the high right block when I walk to where I expect it to be it has consistently been only just off the fairway right instead of 15-20 yards right and about 20-30 yards longer than with previous drivers.

Finally I feel I have the perfect driver for me which is an amazing thing to say as the last few years has been one new driver after another! What do I spend my hard earned cash on now? :)

Last edited:
I too have a SS in the low 90's and always found myself falling between R and S flex. I have had great results with the stock Phenom 55 in stiff and also the Project X Black in 5.5 in the R1 but both I find are a little unresponsive for me in the tip. I have just pulled the triggered and got a Matrix RUL 60 in Reg and played 3 rounds with it so far. The results were nothing short of epic! This combo is the straightest, tightest and longest driver I have ever owned yet I still get a great feeling of load in the shaft (which I like) and response in the tip which has definitely added a few MPH on the SS. I would fully recommend giving it a try. Even my bad high right block (which the R1 tamed anyway) with the RUL is now not punishing me at all. Often after a swing that I know has the high right block when I walk to where I expect it to be it has consistently been only just off the fairway right instead of 15-20 yards right and about 20-30 yards longer than with previous drivers.

Finally I feel I have the perfect driver for me which is an amazing thing to say as the last few years has been one new driver after another! What do I spend my hard earned cash on now? :)

Great stuff, Geo! Have you noticed a difference in the height of your ball flight with the Matrix RUL vs the Phenom? What shaft length did you go with in the Matrix shaft?

Great stuff, Geo! Have you noticed a difference in the height of your ball flight with the Matrix RUL vs the Phenom? What shaft length did you go with in the Matrix shaft?

Hi Illinimick, I have not seen a significant difference in height between the RUL, Phenom or Pro X Black. If I had to put them in order I would say the Pro X Black as the lowest and the Phenom and RUL very similar but a touch higher. I do not have any LM data to support this but the RUL looks to have much less side spin than the other 2. I also find the RUL much easier to draw which is something I have struggled to do with a driver. The major thing with the R1 over all other driver heads I have tried is that it really gets the launch up but then the flight kind of flattens out and just penetrates and in the higher loft settings this really is awesome to have.

I had all 3 shafts to play at 44.5" in the R1. I'm not keen on going longer as I don't want to lose control so take a few yards less to be on the short stuff!

Hi Illinimick, I have not seen a significant difference in height between the RUL, Phenom or Pro X Black. If I had to put them in order I would say the Pro X Black as the lowest and the Phenom and RUL very similar but a touch higher. I do not have any LM data to support this but the RUL looks to have much less side spin than the other 2. I also find the RUL much easier to draw which is something I have struggled to do with a driver. The major thing with the R1 over all other driver heads I have tried is that it really gets the launch up but then the flight kind of flattens out and just penetrates and in the higher loft settings this really is awesome to have.

I had all 3 shafts to play at 44.5" in the R1. I'm not keen on going longer as I don't want to lose control so take a few yards less to be on the short stuff!

Thanks, Geo! Great info. I'm with you on the shorter shaft. I like that the stock shaft for the R1 is 1/4 to 1/2" shorter than most other drivers on the market today and am toying with the idea of shortening the stock Phenom a 1/2" or trying a different shaft. A RUL 60 or 50 sounds like something I might like to try.

Has anyone tried the R1 with the Fujikuri RocketFuel 50g shaft? How did it go? I have no need for two of the stock shafts so I called TM CS and they agreed to trade. I was hoping for a little higher ball flight and the 5g less weight may equate to a little more SS so I went for it. Unfortunately after about 10 pages through the Stage 2 driver thread the reviews were fairly mixed on this shaft. I am hoping it may be better when paired with the R1.

I got the B Asha tipped with the R1 adapter and hope to not see a head flying away on the first swing so I can put this combo to the test.

Sounds like it worked pretty darn well for a few so far.

I got the B Asha tipped with the R1 adapter and hope to not see a head flying away on the first swing so I can put this combo to the test.

That is the combo I am thinking about Cookie

Prepare to be happy

Prepare to be happy

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to it.

Only potential issue is that the B Asha is currently 1 inch longer than R1 stock. Unsure how I will like that as I prefer a shorter shaft typically.

Has anyone tried the R1 with the Fujikuri RocketFuel 50g shaft? How did it go? I have no need for two of the stock shafts so I called TM CS and they agreed to trade. I was hoping for a little higher ball flight and the 5g less weight may equate to a little more SS so I went for it. Unfortunately after about 10 pages through the Stage 2 driver thread the reviews were fairly mixed on this shaft. I am hoping it may be better when paired with the R1.

Hmmm...interesting. I'd be interested in your feedback on that, as I might follow suit. Did you have to send the driver to them or are they sending the shaft to you, then you send the Adilia back to them? I liked the feel of the rocketfuel on the stage 2 3w, and likewise would be interested in a lighter shaft with this driver.

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to it.

Only potential issue is that the B Asha is currently 1 inch longer than R1 stock. Unsure how I will like that as I prefer a shorter shaft typically.

I used a Cleveland pull and didn't realize this ^^^^ until after the sleeve was installed. I am between flexes and the combo of regular flex shaft and extra length made the tip noticeably too soft. The sleeve ended up breaking and and I tip trimmed the shaft to decrease length, firm up the tip and remove the sleeve. Length feels great now, though the tip is still a touch soft. You obviously don't have the flex/tip stuff going on but if you already like shorter shafts I wouldn't be surprised if you cut it down eventually.

Hmmm...interesting. I'd be interested in your feedback on that, as I might follow suit. Did you have to send the driver to them or are they sending the shaft to you, then you send the Adilia back to them? I liked the feel of the rocketfuel on the stage 2 3w, and likewise would be interested in a lighter shaft with this driver.
They are sending the Fuel to me with return postage for the Aldila included. They were very easy and great to deal with. We talked through the 3 other free shaft options, my SS and what I was looking for and they made a recommendation. No hassles about the trade at all. They were happy to do it. Very impressive customer service. I eventually read in the Stage 2 thread that these shafts are longer than usual so I ended up calling back, spoke with a different person, had the same "which shaft" conversation, this guy recommended the same shaft and they informed me that they cut/fit the shaft to R1 specs so it plays to 'normal' specs on this driver before sending it. Somewhat interestingly, the CS guy hadn't even seen a Black yet and was really happy to get feedback :)

They are sending the Fuel to me with return postage for the Aldila included. They were very easy and great to deal with. We talked through the 3 other free shaft options, my SS and what I was looking for and they made a recommendation. No hassles about the trade at all. They were happy to do it. Very impressive customer service. I eventually read in the Stage 2 thread that these shafts are longer than usual so I ended up calling back, spoke with a different person, had the same "which shaft" conversation, this guy recommended the same shaft and they informed me that they cut/fit the shaft to R1 specs so it plays to 'normal' specs on this driver before sending it. Somewhat interestingly, the CS guy hadn't even seen a Black yet and was really happy to get feedback :)

Wow, that's impressive CS! Great idea and I think I'll be doing the same. Might as well have two different shafts to play with!

I also went with the Rocketfuel. The other stock offerings were heavier and I was told would likely result in a lower ball flight, so I decided to go the other way and liked the feel of the shaft in the 3w.

I held off on cutting the length, as he said it would make the shaft firmer and since it's going in an R1 head, it will be the same length as the Adilia anyways. Interesting.

Great CS, although he did quiz me a little on where I got a black R1. I kept telling him, "from you guys." Very helpful and easy to deal with. They're shipping it tomorrow.

Back