Wilson Staff FG 62 Irons

After reading positive reviews in this thread, notwithstanding comments from those suffering from inferiority complex, i decided to grab these irons. In my hands now are the 62s. Can't wait to test the workability of these irons - push draw, soft draw, hook, slice, fade, flipping chop, etc. Hope this is not another sales thread..

Enjoy the new sticks would love to see some pics of yours. What shaft did you get in them?

Well, THP Demo Day has put another dent in my bank account.

I was going through my normal routine of hitting clubs at Demo Day that I wouldn't normally find in local shops. The first iron I tried was the FG 62 9-Iron. More than anything, I was trying it just for kicks. I had never hit a blade before and wanted to see how different it was from other clubs.

The club at address is nothing short of confidence inspiring. It just looks like you will hit the perfect shot. The first shot was something special. The club coming through the ball was so smooth. On top of that, I took a professional grade divot. And I never take divots. The ball flight was a sight to see. Perfect trajectory with a soft landing. I thought, "wow, that's probably the best shot I will ever hit with this thing" and chalked it up to beginner's luck. The beginner's luck stuck with me for a good half hour as I hit shot after shot. I absolutely loved the club. I finally decided to grab the 6-Iron to see if I could hit that just as well. This is where the magic stopped. I simply couldn't hit the ball in the center of the face with the 6-Iron. The shots were all heavy and the ball flight and feedback reinforced that.

With that, I decided to try somewhat of a combo set. I ordered a PW-9-8 iron to put in my bag. I just received them Friday. To this day, I don't think I have hit a bad shot with them. These clubs are amazing! Conventional wisdom states that someone with my handicap shouldn't be hitting these clubs, but the PW-8 almost seem easier to hit than other cavity or muscle backs.

I can't wait to get a few more rounds in with these guys. I have a feeling they will be with me for a long time.

Wilsons_zps647aca75.jpg

Nice dude! We need to tee it up sometime. No doubt!

Well, THP Demo Day has put another dent in my bank account.

I was going through my normal routine of hitting clubs at Demo Day that I wouldn't normally find in local shops. The first iron I tried was the FG 62 9-Iron. More than anything, I was trying it just for kicks. I had never hit a blade before and wanted to see how different it was from other clubs.

The club at address is nothing short of confidence inspiring. It just looks like you will hit the perfect shot. The first shot was something special. The club coming through the ball was so smooth. On top of that, I took a professional grade divot. And I never take divots. The ball flight was a sight to see. Perfect trajectory with a soft landing. I thought, "wow, that's probably the best shot I will ever hit with this thing" and chalked it up to beginner's luck. The beginner's luck stuck with me for a good half hour as I hit shot after shot. I absolutely loved the club. I finally decided to grab the 6-Iron to see if I could hit that just as well. This is where the magic stopped. I simply couldn't hit the ball in the center of the face with the 6-Iron. The shots were all heavy and the ball flight and feedback reinforced that.

With that, I decided to try somewhat of a combo set. I ordered a PW-9-8 iron to put in my bag. I just received them Friday. To this day, I don't think I have hit a bad shot with them. These clubs are amazing! Conventional wisdom states that someone with my handicap shouldn't be hitting these clubs, but the PW-8 almost seem easier to hit than other cavity or muscle backs.

I can't wait to get a few more rounds in with these guys. I have a feeling they will be with me for a long time.

Wilsons_zps647aca75.jpg

Dear baby Jesus, those are absolutely gorgeous. Like, best looking blade I have ever seen gorgeous. But like you, I KNOW I can't hit blades in much higher than an 8 - I've been knocking around the idea of combining the 62's in the short irons with the FG Tour V2 in 7 and up, or maybe even 8 and up. Have you hit the V2 and could you compare the short irons to the 62's at all?

Those look so sweet.

Those are very nice looking irons, they remind me of the Titleist 695 MB's.

Those are beautiful. You need to order the 3i and 2i. Then video record yourself taking swings on the range. Because the swearing would be hilarious.

But those are amazing irons my man.

My thoughts exactly. I love my FG V2's but a combo set with the FG62 in the 7-PW might be exactly what I need! I hit about 80 balls with the FG62's a couple of days ago and they feel similar, if not a little more buttery than the Mizuno MP 64's. I love the look from address of The Fg 62's - remind me of a better looking version of the Macgregor Muirfields my dad played 30 years ago.

I just saw this a month late haha, but thanks for the reply tahoe. I'm seriously contemplating switching to the V2's after loving the 7 iron at Edwin Watts the other day, and every time this FG62 thread comes up my mind wanders back to the idea of a combo set (although I'd only do 8-PW or 9-PW in FG62 I think). If these are softer than the MP64's, they must be seriously soft indeed...and I can't imagine them being difficult to hit in short irons, I've hit all the way up to a 6 iron in Nike Pro Blades without too much gnashing of teeth.

Dear baby Jesus, those are absolutely gorgeous. Like, best looking blade I have ever seen gorgeous. But like you, I KNOW I can't hit blades in much higher than an 8 - I've been knocking around the idea of combining the 62's in the short irons with the FG Tour V2 in 7 and up, or maybe even 8 and up. Have you hit the V2 and could you compare the short irons to the 62's at all?

Unfortunately, I did not spend any time with the Tour V2s in Orlando. For comparison, I currently use BridgeStone J40 Cavity Backs. I feel like the 62s are a better club for the scoring irons. On the other end, the J40s are much easier for me to hit from the 7-Iron on up.

Those are beautiful. You need to order the 3i and 2i. Then video record yourself taking swings on the range. Because the swearing would be hilarious.

But those are amazing irons my man.

Not gonna happen, the 6-Iron was humbling enough.

Nice dude! We need to tee it up sometime. No doubt!

Yes we do. I have the club championship coming up this weekend, but I'm available to meet up anywhere after that. PM me and we'll figure something out.

Man those are sweet looking!! I know I'm biased when it comes to W/S blades, but those are some of the best looking ones ever.

Love the look and feel of those 62's FX. Probably one of the best musclebacks I've ever hit

So I just registered as i felt the need to respond to this thread.

My irons set progression:
Wilson Deep Red --> Wilson Deep Red II Tour --> Wilson Staff Pi5 --> Wilson Staff FG Tour --> Wilson Staff FG62???

So ever since these sticks (FG62) came out, I've lusted over them. Always too high of priced, and thinking that maybe i shouldn't be hitting a blade, i managed to get my hands on a set on the FG Tour (V1) for around $450. A little higher than i wanted to pay as i like getting a steal on year or two old wilson staff clubs that have been hit before me.

Well for some reason i could never play will with the FG Tours. I had never been fitted for clubs and nor do i put much stake in it. I am an athlete and have always struck the ball with my irons quite well. I remember testing the Cleveland CG1 and thought that they were incredible. However, it seemed that my swing was just horrendous with the FG Tours. I wasn't sure whether it had to do with multiple surgeries on my leading shoulder or if i was just losing it completely. I hit everything off the toe, and while I was able to correct the ball flight, it only worked a little bit.

Let's fast forward to about a month ago. While most people would assume that i''d be looking for a more forgiving iron (and i kinda did too at some points), i really love the look and feel of forged clubs. I still wanted to try the FG62s. realizing that this isn't the best course of action i continue to look to ebay for any LH deals that pop up. Well i found some. And for $280 i had my nearly Mint FG62s in hand (thanks Mike. mcasari is a stellar seller on eBay btw).

Looking more beautiful in person i decide i need to test them as i'm still concerned i made a mistake. Those fears melted very, very quickly. These irons are incredible and not hard to hit at all! Granted i'm back to hitting my irons pure and getting that buttery feel, but it feels like even the mishits are OK. I haven't had too much experience with hitting off the heel or toe (thankfully that's gone) with these but i now that i will sometimes catch it a little thin but distance is consistent. I've played i think 5 rounds and my buddies see and obvious improvement. i haven't had a bad day with them yet and my confidence is restored.

Things that i've noticed:
- Project X flighted 6.0 shaft gets the ball UP. Pretty high. Ball still travels tho. a long way.
- They cut through the ground effortlessly.
- Surprisingly easy to hit.

Last edited:
So I just registered as i felt the need to respond to this thread.

My irons set progression:
Wilson Deep Red --> Wilson Deep Red II Tour --> Wilson Staff Pi5 --> Wilson Staff FG Tour --> Wilson Staff FG62???
(in stock - used) (in stock - used)

So ever since these sticks (FG62) came out, I've lusted over them. Always too high of priced, and thinking that maybe i shouldn't be hitting a blade, i managed to get my hands on a set on the FG Tour (V1) for around $450. A little higher than i wanted to pay as i like getting a steal on year or two old wilson staff clubs that have been hit before me.

Well for some reason i could never play will with the FG Tours. I had never been fitted for clubs and nor do i put much stake in it. I am an athlete and have always struck the ball with my irons quite well. I remember testing the Cleveland CG1 and thought that they were incredible. However, it seemed that my swing was just horrendous with the FG Tours. I wasn't sure whether it had to do with multiple surgeries on my leading shoulder or if i was just losing it completely. I hit everything off the toe, and while I was able to correct the ball flight, it only worked a little bit.

Let's fast forward to about a month ago. While most people would assume that i''d be looking for a more forgiving iron (and i kinda did too at some points), i really love the look and feel of forged clubs. I still wanted to try the FG62s. realizing that this isn't the best course of action i continue to look to ebay for any LH deals that pop up. Well i found some. And for $280 i had my nearly Mint FG62s in hand (thanks Mike. mcasari is a stellar seller on eBay btw).

Looking more beautiful in person i decide i need to test them as i'm still concerned i made a mistake. Those fears melted very, very quickly. These irons are incredible and not hard to hit at all! Granted i'm back to hitting my irons pure and getting that buttery feel, but it feels like even the mishits are OK. I haven't had too much experience with hitting off the heel or toe (thankfully that's gone) with these but i now that i will sometimes catch it a little thin but distance is consistent. I've played i think 5 rounds and my buddies see and obvious improvement. i haven't had a bad day with them yet and my confidence is restored.

Things that i've noticed:
- Project X flighted 6.0 shaft gets the ball UP. Pretty high. Ball still travels tho. a long way.
- They cut through the ground effortlessly.
- Surprisingly easy to hit.

Welcome to THP!

Back