Cobra AMP CELL Irons Preview

Did you get any Husky Vusky out of them?

I think that was the problem, I saw now Husky Vusky. I also never yelled YEAH! during the round. That will change today.

I think that was the problem, I saw now Husky Vusky. I also never yelled YEAH! during the round. That will change today.

That must have been the problem because I know it's not your swing. Hope you get them dialed in today. YEAH!!

Did you get any Husky Vusky out of them?

I can't wait to yell that after my first shot with them and watch everyone look at me like, what!

With no range time they went out on the course with me. Did not hit them as well as I wanted to yesterday. But I am about to head back out to the course and put them to the test again.

no worries. everything will fall into place shortly.

Ok got these out again yesterday. I played somewhere around 13 holes. Though I did not putt out on a couple on the back 9 as I was just trying to get some work in. During a stretch of 5 holes yesterday I did not miss a shot with these irons. In fact it may have been the best stretch of golf I've played all year, which while is not saying a whole lot, it's something to build on. From holes 2-6 I had all sorts of yardages, hit just about every iron I have 5-PW, and hit every single green with them. If I could have putt, I would have had more than just all pars. But this is not about score this is about the irons so here are a few observations I have.

While they are a GI iron, have a medium topline, and thick sole, I found them easy to control distance. My first approach shot with them came on the 2nd hole. I was in the rough after a poor layup, still 149 to the back pin, with about 4 paces between the pin and the end of the green. Going off my J40 distances, I would have hit a 7 iron in the 155 range. So I decided to take the 7 with these, choke up a touch and see what I get. Sure enough it was pin high, 15 feet right of the pin. That gave me some confidence. 2 holes later I was left and had to deal with tree branches in front of me. Needed to keep it low, so I took an 8 iron, played it back, avoided the trees and landed nicely on the green below the hole. Hit the 2 par 3's with irons, and on the 6th hole gave myself a good look at birdie.

Pros:
1) Even with PX shafts, the ball flies high which is nice. It reminds me very much of when I had the Razr X irons with the DGs300 shafts. The ball lands softly on the greens which is nice.
2) Plenty of forgiveness across the face as you would expect
3) I like the sound. Coming from the DPC's which are very quiet, these are not as loud as I would expect.
4) The shape certainly inspires some confidence. The extra offset does not bother me at all.

Cons:
1) I ordered these .5" short so that they would match up with my current iron lengths. They seem to be .25" shorter than those. Will get them on the bench tonight or tomorrow to see just how close they are.
2) I'm still not sure on distances, but I feel like they are not as long as I expected. That's fine and all, as long as I know what I hit a club, I don't really care how long it goes. But I was expecting to pick up some slight distance and I haven't seen that yet over the 2 rounds.
3)PX shaft is 5 grams lighter than the KBS Tour, but it feels heavy to me. Could be just the new club feeling as it feels different.
4) They are not shank proof
:beat-up:

Ok got these out again yesterday. I played somewhere around 13 holes. Though I did not putt out on a couple on the back 9 as I was just trying to get some work in. During a stretch of 5 holes yesterday I did not miss a shot with these irons. In fact it may have been the best stretch of golf I've played all year, which while is not saying a whole lot, it's something to build on. From holes 2-6 I had all sorts of yardages, hit just about every iron I have 5-PW, and hit every single green with them. If I could have putt, I would have had more than just all pars. But this is not about score this is about the irons so here are a few observations I have.

While they are a GI iron, have a medium topline, and thick sole, I found them easy to control distance. My first approach shot with them came on the 2nd hole. I was in the rough after a poor layup, still 149 to the back pin, with about 4 paces between the pin and the end of the green. Going off my J40 distances, I would have hit a 7 iron in the 155 range. So I decided to take the 7 with these, choke up a touch and see what I get. Sure enough it was pin high, 15 feet right of the pin. That gave me some confidence. 2 holes later I was left and had to deal with tree branches in front of me. Needed to keep it low, so I took an 8 iron, played it back, avoided the trees and landed nicely on the green below the hole. Hit the 2 par 3's with irons, and on the 6th hole gave myself a good look at birdie.

Pros:
1) Even with PX shafts, the ball flies high which is nice. It reminds me very much of when I had the Razr X irons with the DGs300 shafts. The ball lands softly on the greens which is nice.
3) I like the sound. Coming from the DPC's which are very quiet, these are not as loud as I would expect.
4) The shape certainly inspires some confidence. The extra offset does not bother me at all.

Cons:
1) I ordered these .5" short so that they would match up with my current iron lengths. They seem to be .25" shorter than those. Will get them on the bench tonight or tomorrow to see just how close they are.
2) I'm still not sure on distances, but I feel like they are not as long as I expected. That's fine and all, as long as I know what I hit a club, I don't really care how long it goes. But I was expecting to pick up some slight distance and I haven't seen that yet over the 2 rounds.
3)PX shaft is 5 grams lighter than the KBS Tour, but it feels heavy to me. Could be just the new club feeling as it feels different.

Nice thoughts dude. You will have them dialed in in no time. Really glad you are starting to fire at those pins!

Pros:

Cons:

Nice stuff Dean! You will get the distances figured out. There is a break in period and your just at the starting stage.

Hey, Rory can't his new clubs yet, either. And that's all he does (outside of that girl of his).

Hey, Rory can't his new clubs yet, either. And that's all he does (outside of that girl of his).

it was a very Roryous round yesterday haha

Just got home from being out of town for a week to find these on my door. I went with the silver 5-PW, Midsize grips and KBS tour stiff shafts. I can't wait to get these out on the course to share some reviews.

image-1_zps5ad78aa0.jpg

Looking great Lambro!

Those look awesome zac!!!

They look awesome Zachary. The silver looks slick. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. None for Icey yet?

Very nice lambro!

Great looking sticks lambro

Lambro, those look great! Can't wait to hear how they perform for you.

They look awesome Zachary. The silver looks slick. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. None for Icey yet?
Nope, I'm like a dog as soon as I hear the mailman though!!!

Icey I really thought you'd be first!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Big fan of those irons. They look deadly with those KBS shafts and wicked grips.

Nice lambro! Love the silver!

Icey I really thought you'd be first!

I thought based on the Staff Bag and Driver I would be, now I'm just getting too anxious waiting!!!

Just got a call from the pro shop,
my Amp Cell irons are in.
Happy days.

Just got a call from the pro shop,
my Amp Cell irons are in.
Happy days.
Some amazing Amp Cell Silver going on in your bag!!!

Icey, I think today is our day! Have a feeling.

Back