Do you always use the same game plan?

It depends on how my score is up to that point. If I'm doing really well, I sometimes go for safer shots, but if I'm already doing horrible I'm going for everything. As for par 3's, I normally use the same club every time, but my memory is so bad I sometimes forget what that club is.

When just playing for fun. I just bomb it off the tee and hope I can find it and hit it again. My scores suffer sometimes but it also helps me learn my limitations and helps me work on my shot making on the course(ie. hit a high fade around the dogleg instead of hitting 3 iron to the corner even though my typical ball flight is a draw). I do mix it up a lot with my approach shots flighted some down just because it feels right at the time. Now when I am playing in a tournament I tend to think a little more and end up hitting very few drivers off the tee.

I probably play the same club off the tee for every par 4. The only thing that would change that would be the wind.

At my course I usually pull driver on most par 4's and 5's (except 9 & 18 which are really short and I pull 4i). My goal is to have the shortest iron into the green as possible, which sometimes happens depending on my driving that day. Wind and other factors sometimes change that gameplan.

Side note... I'd like to go out one day and keep my driver, 3W, and 3h in my car just to see what would happen and how I would have to think differently about my shots.

Nope, I play the course depending on game format... For example, stroke play I'm very conservative as I know OB and Penalty shots will kill you... Match play I'm going to play a lot more risky as I know only winning the hole counts. I.E. an 8 in stoke play will kill you, an 8 in match play is only one point for the other guy.

If I'm just playing to have fun it often depends on how I play the first few holes... If it looks like I may have a chance of shooting a low score I'll play to try and get a low score... However if I stink it up on the first 3 holes I play to have fun (i.e. Im going to go for it on every hole).

I would say I have a plan, but I also like to have a backup plan for when I am not playing as well but still want to shoot a decent score (for me) so I will always look at the hole and try to play it 2 different ways in my head and then base my decision on how I am feeling when stood on the tee

Usually the plan is to play sensibly without being too aggressive unless I am having a very good ball striking day, in which case I may then take a calculated risk in going for shots I might not always try

My strategy is the same every single time I go out to play. However, club selection and flight lines will be determined that day by course conditions, and wind. My priorities are:
1. Greens in regulation
2. Fairways in regulation
3. Nothing worse than a two putt.

Unfortunately I don't make a ton of birdies, but I don't make many bogeys either. I've adopted this approach over the past 5 years and its helped me to play the best golf of my life. Even better than when I was playing in college. There is a trade off. I rarely go below 70, but I even more rarely go above 75 no matter the difficulty of the course. Its a trade off I'm very happy with.

When I have played a course several times the plan is usually the same for the same holes. Wind direction & speed may change what club I use though.

If I'm hitting really consistently I may go for a carry I normally wouldn't or even a shot shape.

My play this yr has been more methodical and leaves me leaving driver in the bag more often on par 4's than I did in the past.

Game plan? The only plans I make is to play, then I go play. If my driver acts up I have a high score, never occurred to me I could hit something else.

nope, not the same. My "home course" tends to play more towards rolling fairways and carry the ball to the green type of course. Yesterday, I played a course that I could take a shorter swing with my approach shot and roll that ball up to the green. So its always not the same. It just depends on the course and how it plays. It also helps to adjust your game plan after asking golfers who finished their rounds just before you tee off to get an idea of how its playing.

I was just thinking about this as I made a game plan for the first time pretty much well....ever for my league night last friday. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just post here....SO....I had been playing horribly bad this year so far and grew tired of being ridiculed by the guys for my poor play, only posting one round (42) under 46 in league play thus far. Very frustrating as its considered by most not that difficult of course and I am a much better golfer than that.

Anyhow I had decided to get out early and play 9 before the league and had also made the decision to not hit my driver unless absolutely necessary. I made it a point to check the card to see how far the hole was and to try in be in the neighborhood of the 100-150 range for my approach depending on the hole. So if that meant a hybrid or 5 iron or 3W off the tee so be it. The guys I was playing with were like WTF are you doing hitting an iron. As it turns out I was striking the ball very well and playing from the short grass and hitting full wedges or irons into the greens made a big difference. I think I hit 7-9 GIR and shot a 38. I was thrilled with that.

It carried over into league play and I was even able to bring out the driver as well. I shot another 38 and even left a few strokes on the green with the putter. I think I'll be making a game plan more often!

My basic plan stays the same, it will change alittle depending on tee locations, weather, wind, and other factors but rarely does it really change all that much. And that goes for most courses I play, even courses that i'm playing for the first time.

Do you always use the same game plan?

Yes for me, fat part of the fairway, fat part of the green, two butts.

Edit: putts lol Siri

TTing

Last edited:
Yes for me, fat part of the fairway, fat part of the green, two butts.

Edit: putts lol Siri

TTing

Hmmmm now that's a lot of butt . :bulgy-eyes:

at a frequented course it stays the same. At least while on the tee, and then depending how well that shot went would of course change the second shot. Then of course there is wind, soft or hard fairwys, etc. But the thought process is the same. I know what my so desired called "A" position is at my local course holes and its just a matter of which club I think will get me there that day dependent on conditions and how well i'm hitting a given club.

It always stays the same, I play what I can see in front of me and try to hit fairways and greens. I'll go after pins when I can but that's not all the time.

I have been playing pretty conservative lately but that changed this weekend as I had true confidence in my game for the first time.

I played more aggressive than I have probably ever played the game but did it knowing I'd make the shot. With every successful shot my confidence grew and I kept attacking the course where I could and played the smart shot where I had to.

Since about every course starts with a par 4 or an occasional 5, I start out with a 5i or maybe hybrid and play the first couple holes trying for a 100-150 approach and see how I feel from there. If I'm feeling good and confident I will start bringing out the driver when I think it's the best play but no matter what I don't hit driver on ANY hole that doesn't allow for a little bit of error.

That's about it really. If I get towards the end of a round and have a chance at a good score, I will take some risk but not to the point of busting out a 3w from 250 out trying for birdie/eagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back