The Mount Rushmore of golf

Tom Morris, Snead, Jones, Jack,

So many greats to choose from. Tiger got taken out because I don't think someone should still be playing if he's on the rock.

I don't get the Tiger being active thing. Are they gonna take way his wins and majors before he retires from golf?

I don't get the Tiger being active thing. Are they gonna take way his wins and majors before he retires from golf?

In my case, I guess I see Rushmore as a nod to the past rather than the present.

I just think of it as legends past and not players still creating their legacy. To each their own, no right or wrong answer.

That was my thinking too

It takes forever to chisel one of these, he'll be done by the time they finish, so go ahead and put Tiger up there.

Great question. I think the Mt. Rushmore would have to be more than 4 golfers. How do you choose between Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet, Palmer, Nicklaus, Hogan, Nelson, and don't you include the ladies? - Mickey Wright, Anika Sorenson, Babe Zaharias, etc... The list could go on!

Because Mount Rushmore only has four faces on it. So you can only have four golfers.

Because Mount Rushmore only has four faces on it. So you can only have four golfers.

I know it has four faces on it. Maybe the same rationale for picking the presidents could be used for picking golfers? I looked up on the net and Gutzon Borglum, the master sculptor responsible for Mount Rushmore, chose the presidents to represent the first 150 years of American history. George Washington represents the birth of the country, Thomas Jefferson the expansion of the nation, Abe Lincoln the preservation of the Union and Theodore Roosevelt represents the development of the country.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post.

I guess if you look at the current Mount Rushmore, it's a nod to the past who changed the US and shaped it into what it is today. In this case, Tiger being active, doesn't really allow him to fall into the category, though arguable, when compared to the current Mount Rushmore, he wouldn't fit that category.

I know it has four faces on it. Maybe the same rationale for picking the presidents could be used for picking golfers? I looked up on the net and Gutzon Borglum, the master sculptor responsible for Mount Rushmore, chose the presidents to represent the first 150 years of American history. George Washington represents the birth of the country, Thomas Jefferson the expansion of the nation, Abe Lincoln the preservation of the Union and Theodore Roosevelt represents the development of the country.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post.

No worries, they just need a bigger mountain, or possibly a smaller font.

Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Bobby Jones, Annika Sorenstam

I'm going to have to strongly consider Gary Player too. The guy has 9 majors, the career grand slam, and I think had a huge impact on the global game.

I'd like to revise.

Washington is like Harry Vardon. Humble beginnings. Incredibly popular.

Teddy - The people's champion This is most like Bobby Jones.

Abe - greatest president. Jack greatest player.

Jefferson - tons of good quotes stern man. Hogan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Very tricky to pick just four. I'd probably say Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. No matter what, you're going to leave off guys that should be on there for sure.

Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Arnold Palmer
Tim Finchem

I heard the Euro's considered doing something like this, but it was thought Monty's face on a mountain might hurt tourism.

With so much talk of the NBA and Sports ones on ESPN lately, I thought this deserved a good bump!

I'd probably update mine to:
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Ben Hogan
Bobby Jones

Bobby Jones
Ben Hogan
Arnold Palmer
Jack Nicklaus

Very Hard because Golf is the one sport that I do not have a favorite or anyone that I dislike....But in order it would be...

Sam Snead
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Arnold Palmer

id say johnny miller but there'd be no room left on the mountain after that.

Actual picks id go with are tiger, nicklaus, palmer, and hogan.

ha ha ha ha ha

This is such a tough question. I just don't see how you can leave Bobby Jones off.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

This is a good one but definitely very tough if you have to pick 4. I would say Nicklaus, Jones, Hogan, Woods with Player and Sarazen knocking on the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hogan, Snead, Palmer, and woods.

Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods

So darn tough to leave Hogan off of there with 4.

Back