Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Honest question; since the success you have seen with these has been so great, will you ever move away from SGI irons now?

You sir, are going to need to PM me your address for that to happen first hahaha

Cookie, I agree. I'm glad I kicked the ego out of the way.

usually a good place to start

Honest question; since the success you have seen with these has been so great, will you ever move away from SGI irons now?

Seeing as its the OFFSET of SGI irons that bother me and not the size of them along with the fact that in this "category" the Altitudes are pretty much an anomaly out there in terms of truly having minimal offset, yes I do see myself moving away. That said, I'll wear these out first, I'll undoubtedly have to move on for reviews at some point, but these are the gamers now, period. Confident golf is fun.

Seeing as its the OFFSET of SGI irons that bother me and not the size of them along with the fact that in this "category" the Altitudes are pretty much an anomaly out there in terms of truly having minimal offset, yes I do see myself moving away. That said, I'll wear these out first, I'll undoubtedly have to move on for reviews at some point, but these are the gamers now, period. Confident golf is fun.

I agree, it is fun. Glad I am confident in the irons in my bag as well.

This thread makes me want to buy things.

I finally got on the range today and the five iron is just awesome I've never had a five iron like that. its long its straight just nothing really bad to say about it. I will have the set after my insurance money comes in.

That's a great question War, I've been wondering the same thing.

I don't think it has to be about GE, GI, or SGI at all. Just about something that works and instills confidence, these do that and my scores have benefited from it. You put a GE or GI iron in my hands that I have as much fun as these right now, of course I would game them. I simply enjoy fun golf now, its a hell of a thing.

I thought the question was just directed at James but I answered kinda like a week ago. Very hard time for me imagining going to another type or iron after my experience with these. Would love to look into the future and see if Cleveland can somehow make these even better than they are now. I certainly hope this exact club style stays in the lineup for years to come.

I don't think it has to be about GE, GI, or SGI at all. Just about something that works and instills confidence, these do that and my scores have benefited from it. You put a GE or GI iron in my hands that I have as much fun as these right now, of course I would game them. I simply enjoy fun golf now, its a hell of a thing.
I always have fun playing golf, regardless. :alien:

You know, I tried and wanted to not like these. I made fun of the looks when they released and when I saw them in person, then when I saw people hit them I got curious, then I spent more time with them on the range at The Outing than any other club out of TONS that were there. Then it slowly progressed, hell my first time out with them was with only the 8 and 5 in the bag as I thought they would just be a "for fun" and a "now and again" set of clubs for me, then I played 18 with them. Sold.

It is what it is.

I always have fun playing golf, regardless. :alien:

I do too, but its more when I'm shooting good scores. That's a pretty normal thing IMO.

Maybe I'm just insane though. :beat-up:

I do too, but its more when I'm shooting good scores. That's a pretty normal thing IMO.

Maybe I'm just insane though. :beat-up:
My scores have been quite good lately, too.

I agree with your thoughts, but will add that I dont think those categories exist anymore. There is too much blurring of the lines between all of them nowadays. What makes a players iron? What makes a game improvement iron? Perfect example of that is the MT line.

My scores have been quite good lately, too.

That's awesome. I guess I just don't understand why it seems to be such an issue that I'm gaming these.

Yes, I can strike the piss out of a golf ball with my J40's or i20's and I love them both, I can shoot in the 70's with them, but not as consistently as this. Back to back 76's this week with terrible tee play? Says all I need to know for me personally.

I agree with your thoughts, but will add that I dont think those categories exist anymore. There is too much blurring of the lines between all of them nowadays. What makes a players iron? What makes a game improvement iron? Perfect example of that is the MT line.
Equipment is not lumped in to categories they once where. I consider my MT irons SGI irons, without a doubt. But, when you see the Pros throwing them in the bag like crazy, does that make it now a "Players" iron.

I am going to start calling them Tour MTs.

That's awesome. I guess I just don't understand why it seems to be such an issue that I'm gaming these.

Yes, I can strike the piss out of a golf ball with my J40's or i20's and I love them both, I can shoot in the 70's with them, but not as consistently as this. Back to back 76's this week with terrible tee play? Says all I need to know for me personally.
When did I make an issue out of it?

I have not once said anything about anyone playing them.

When did I make an issue out of it?

I have not once said anything about anyone playing them.

I'm just going to go take a nap.

I'm intrigued by these, my snobbish ego says no way will I ever bag these. My current mid and long iron game says I should try these today! One question to the members who play these- do they play like hybrids or irons, do you take divots? I need to take a good divot on anything under a 7-iron. Can I go to a big brand store like Dick's and purchase a mixed set like Altitudes 5,6 and MT 7,8,9,pw? Ok, thanks in advance!

I'm intrigued by these, my snobbish ego says no way will I ever bag these. My current mid and long iron game says I should try these today! One question to the members who play these- do they play like hybrids or irons, do you take divots? I need to take a good divot on anything under a 7-iron. Can I go to a big brand store like Dick's and purchase a mixed set like Altitudes 5,6 and MT 7,8,9,pw? Ok, thanks in advance!

I'm a big divot taker, no issues with these.

You have seen the beaver pelts I take. Never had an issue.

No doubt. Another reason I liked them when I finally got to spend time with them, I didn't have to change anything, I can still trap the piss out of the golf ball.

The should call these "holycraptitudes" because I think I used the phrase about 15 times hitting an altitude 6i with the stock graphite stiff shaft in the sim @ golfsmith today. I really wanted to try them with a few shaft offerings but they only had those in the tiny cart there.

One question, what are the big differences between the stock graphite and say the C'Kua stiff graphite, and/or an aftermarket graphite? Graphite is all new to me...

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

The should call these "holycraptitudes" because I think I used the phrase about 15 times hitting an altitude 6i with the stock graphite stiff shaft in the sim @ golfsmith today. I really wanted to try them with a few shaft offerings but they only had those in the tiny cart there.

One question, what are the big differences between the stock graphite and say the C'Kua stiff graphite, and/or an aftermarket graphite? Graphite is all new to me...

Having played both, I sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed with the stock graphite. I wanted to lower ball flight a tad and did that, but the standard graphite with these heads are perfect together. Absolutely perfect. Tried them with both SteelFibers and UST Recoils and still preferred the lighter weight.

Having played both, I sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed with the stock graphite. I wanted to lower ball flight a tad and did that, but the standard graphite with these heads are perfect together. Absolutely perfect. Tried them with both SteelFibers and UST Recoils and still preferred the lighter weight.

How does the extra weight of the aftermarket effect the performance? I wish I had hit yours in CT...

Back