Golf Equipment/Attire - Skill level ratio

What if it was a bad round? We all have them. Heck, I like apparel and I have been known to have a terrible day and shoot in the 90s or higher. Heck, my swing says I should anyway.

Im not saying people dont judge, because we all do in some fashion, but the foundation of the game in todays day and age is supposed to be encourage and grow. If it makes someone enjoy the game to dress like they own it, than truthfully, shouldn't they?

I highly doubt it was a bad round for these guys. They were all bad in every way.

I was also going more off the brand new clubs they all had.

Unfortunately, I do judge to a degree. When you look like a player and tee it up from the tips, you better be able to play.

I don't really have a particular style of dress and I have a low amount of skill so I guess I am okay :D

I don't see any correlation between how people dress and how good their game is. I really don't care how over the top people dress. Usually a low index player will have some unusual club in his bag that is not the latest technology. Could be a 30 year old putter, a rusted wedge, a blade 2 iron, an unusual driver/shaft combo, or an old steel shafted 5 wood. 6 of the lowest index 12 players at my club are playing a Nakashima driver. If you see any of these, be beware before placing bets!!

There is a meme picture thing of a Prius and a Ferrari driving side by side down the interstate and the caption read "My Prius is just as fast as this Ferrari at 65mph"

hahahaha nice!! That said, I bet that ferrari got to 65 a LOT faster!!!

The funny thing, is that the only issue I have with that is them playing the tips. What difference does it make how they dress as long as it is within the rules of the course? Do you have a problem with people who buy fast cars and drive the speed limit? Who cares how people spend their money?

I do!! Nothing upsets me more than seeing a Ferrari on the freeway driving 45 in the slow lane!! :D

I highly doubt it was a bad round for these guys. They were all bad in every way.

I was also going more off the brand new clubs they all had.

Unfortunately, I do judge to a degree. When you look like a player and tee it up from the tips, you better be able to play.
Why?

I believe they have the right to suck, if they so desire. Regardless of what shirt they decide to wear to the course. If they enjoy tipping it out and shooting 100+, more power to them, just as long as they let me play through.

I used to put NO thought into golf style. Then THP and weight loss happened. Now I like to look good out there. Its just one of those things, if I like it and I have the money, I buy it and wear it. I really don't care what it says about my game.

I like to keep my golf cloths somewhat mild, but only because I wear the shirts and sometimes pants to work. I do like bright colors though and have started to try and match some pants with them.

I guess my question is why? As long as someone keeps up the pace of play, who cares right? Im not saying you are wrong, because as mentioned, everybody judges to a degree in some fashion.

But I have to tell you, I have seen a whole bunch of good golfers, that slow the crap out of a round of golf. I also see players demanding to play from the tips, and not sniff breaking 80. Sure they are decent players, and when asking what they shot, first thing is score, immediately followed "But I played from the tips".

In what strange state is the speed limit 45 in the slow lane?!

I never said the speed limit was 45 in the slow lane.. I said they were driving 45 in the slow lane. The speed limit in this weird state of mine is 65 on the freeway just fyi. Some they raise it to 75. Knowledge is power!! :D

The funny thing, is that the only issue I have with that is them playing the tips. What difference does it make how they dress as long as it is within the rules of the course? Do you have a problem with people who buy fast cars and drive the speed limit? Who cares how people spend their money?

I have issue with anyone driving the speed limit!

Again, when you look the part and tee it up from the tips, you better be able to play. If you can't, you're just holding us all up.

Again, when you look the part and tee it up from the tips, you better be able to play. If you can't, you're just holding us all up.

Out of curiosity, were they to have played the standard tees rather than the tips and still suck, would their attire still bother you?

But isnt "play" a relative term. To me it is far more about pace of play, compared to someone's shirt they might have on. I mean I watched people at the THP Outing playing from the tips and playing freaking slow as molasses. Is that right? I mean they were decent golfers, so should they be okay to wear nice apparel and slow everybody up? Genuine question honestly.

The reverse is apparent for many as well. Someone asked me the other day what I shot on the back 9. I told them 34. The next question was "well did you play the tips"? Who cares? Why not just say good round or say nothing. I thought the next question was going to be "I have a ruler in my car, whip it out and lets measure".

Out of curiosity, were they to have played the standard tees rather than the tips and still suck, would their attire still bother you?

I dont think it is the attire that is bugging rtparty, it is just a small part of it.. a whole make up of these golfers who think cause they dress like Tiger and use the same clubs.. suddenly they can hit 300yard drives and shoot even for the round.

I guess my question is why? As long as someone keeps up the pace of play, who cares right? Im not saying you are wrong, because as mentioned, everybody judges to a degree in some fashion.

But I have to tell you, I have seen a whole bunch of good golfers, that slow the crap out of a round of golf. I also see players demanding to play from the tips, and not sniff breaking 80. Sure they are decent players, and when asking what they shot, first thing is score, immediately followed "But I played from the tips".

I agree with JB here, why judge someone just because they shoot a certain score from a particular set of tees?

Personally, I would swap tees every once in a while either to play the course from a different perspective, or to give myself a challenge, so why should people judge others if they don't know anything about the reasons for why they wear what they do, or play from the tees they do?

I don't know what it is like in the US, but there are courses over here that do not let you play from certain tees unless you are playing in a competition, so sometimes you have no choice at all as to where you play from

But isnt "play" a relative term. To me it is far more about pace of play, compared to someone's shirt they might have on. I mean I watched people at the THP Outing playing from the tips and playing freaking slow as molasses. Is that right? I mean they were decent golfers, so should they be okay to wear nice apparel and slow everybody up? Genuine question honestly.

The reverse is apparent for many as well. Someone asked me the other day what I shot on the back 9. I told them 34. The next question was "well did you play the tips"? Who cares? Why not just say good round or say nothing. I thought the next question was going to be "I have a ruler in my car, whip it out and lets measure".

This sounds like the group behind us on Sunday morning... after the first tee.. never saw them!! :alien:

Why?

I believe they have the right to suck, if they so desire. Regardless of what shirt they decide to wear to the course. If they enjoy tipping it out and shooting 100+, more power to them, just as long as they let me play through.

That's the problem though here in Utah. We are a very conservative state overall so when someone goes "all out", it's very noticeable.

These are the guys who never let you play through and are total d!@ks when you sit and wait for them on a tee box.

At times I am guilty of judging the guy with bright clothes and the latest gear but at the end of the day if you wanna buy it and can afford to buy it (and have the huevos to wear it) then by all means buy it and wear it.

Bottom line is if your decisions don't negatively affect me or the people I care about then I really have no business judging you or your actions.

Yes, easier said than done...guilty!

That's the problem though here in Utah. We are a very conservative state overall so when someone goes "all out", it's very noticeable.

These are the guys who never let you play through and are total d!@ks when you sit and wait for them on a tee box

In Utah. I think you're generalizing a lot of people by what you have seen in your area. I like bright colors they stand out. I use a staff bag. Sometimes I will wear slacks, even if it's warm out. Not to impress anybody, but to make myself feel good. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

These are the guys who never let you play through and are total d!@ks when you sit and wait for them on a tee box.

I agree buddy. I think geography certainly plays a role here. And like you said, its your perception and everybody has them. We can all say we don't, but we do to an extent.

In Utah. I think you're generalizing a lot of people by what you have seen in your area. I like bright colors they stand out. I use a staff bag. Sometimes I will wear slacks, even if it's warm out. Not to impress anybody, but to make myself feel good. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

That is exactly how I feel when I do not tuck my shirt and wear cargo shorts to the course. I am paying my $$$$ to enjoy the round and get away from life for a while. I am wearing a colored **** and non-denim shorts as the course rules list so, flipping the discussion around, why do so many people seem to have issue with that look?

I dont think it is the attire that is bugging rtparty, it is just a small part of it.. a whole make up of these golfers who think cause they dress like Tiger and use the same clubs.. suddenly they can hit 300yard drives and shoot even for the round.

This.

I never said it was only the clothing. I personally love bright clothing. Puma is my favorite to wear.

It is the whole package that annoys me. Playing the tips, brand new clubs and then being rude when my group pushes you.

Again, this is my experience only.

I agree buddy. I think geography certainly plays a role here. And like you said, its your perception and everybody has them. We can all say we don't, but we do to an extent.

I try not to judge anybody. I don't know anybody's story but I've yet to play with someone like I described that was any good (here in Utah.)

They usually have no personality and hold us all up.

I know that is a total generalization but it is my experience. I'm not saying it is right or wrong.

Back