Pancakes and waffles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
My wife thinks it's odd that I put peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes and waffles. I don't always do it, in fact when eating out I usually just eat them the way they normally serve them (with butter and syrup). She thinks it's a redneck thing but it was great when we were in California last month that we met a friend of hers who also puts peanut butter and syrup on both. (This from the same person who surprised me by adding the toast to the beanie weenies!)

I had never really thought about it, but when she looked at me weird when I did it the first time, I figured maybe it was a family thing (my brother and sister also do it, as did my parents), so I asked the waitress once at IHOP if anyone ever asked for peanut butter. She said it happens quite often, and they keep peanut butter for those occasions. Of course that was here in Kansas City.

Some people put blueberries, strawberries, bananas, etc. on top but I don't usually do that. So what do you put on your waffles and pancakes? Is peanut butter and syrup a redneck/Midwest thing or is this pretty common? (Not that it's going to make me stop doing it, I'm just curious!)

The best waffles I ever had were in Chamonix, France. There was a waffle stand in the village that made these perfect waffles - super crispy on the outside, perfectly soft on the inside. They made them on this big, cast iron rotisserie style waffle thing.

You ordered a waffle with a topping: homemade fruit jelly, nutella, chocolate sauce (the real kind), etc - the menu had, like 50 different topping options, and they were all amazing. They whipped cream (real) on top. They handed it to you with a napkin, and you sat on the curb and ate it.

My buddy and I had waffle withdrawal for 2 weeks after we got back. I cannot describe how good these things were.

My wife thinks it's odd that I put peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes and waffles. I don't always do it, in fact when eating out I usually just eat them the way they normally serve them (with butter and syrup). She thinks it's a redneck thing but it was great when we were in California last month that we met a friend of hers who also puts peanut butter and syrup on both. (This from the same person who surprised me by adding the toast to the beanie weenies!)

I had never really thought about it, but when she looked at me weird when I did it the first time, I figured maybe it was a family thing (my brother and sister also do it, as did my parents), so I asked the waitress once at IHOP if anyone ever asked for peanut butter. She said it happens quite often, and they keep peanut butter for those occasions. Of course that was here in Kansas City.

Some people put blueberries, strawberries, bananas, etc. on top but I don't usually do that. So what do you put on your waffles and pancakes? Is peanut butter and syrup a redneck/Midwest thing or is this pretty common? (Not that it's going to make me stop doing it, I'm just curious!)

I do it too smalls! It is the most amazing thing on earth!

ldfd.jpg

:D

never tried peanut butter but I'm gonna! Sounds goooood!:D

My favorite is to make waffles with a homemade blueberry compote and unsweetened homemade whipped cream with a touch of vanilla. I've never had peanut butter on them, but have had Nutella and strawberries so it's probably similar.

small jack...anyone know of a good iron. Every one I have had was a pos.

I dont eat waffles very often, its probably been over 10 years but peanut butter seems like it would make them better.

small jack...anyone know of a good iron. Every one I have had was a pos.

I have a Krups. I can't remove the plates, but it's non-stick so I just wipe it down after each use.

The only way to eat either one is with syrup from THP's own Farmergolf. It is simply the best I have ever had. You can pm him for information, but it is truly the best I have ever had.

Way too funny! All these years and I thought I was the only one that did this. Liz thinks it's... nasty, lol. Peanut butter and syrup on a hot pancakes or French toast is only way to roll.

I used to eat PB and syrup sandwiches when I was a kid.

But waffles and pancakes are reserved for butter and syrup (unless I'm in Chamonix eating waffles) with a big side of bacon.

I do have one quirk when eating waffles. The butter has to go in every opening.

Anyone? . . . Anyone?

I used to eat PB and syrup sandwiches when I was a kid.

But waffles and pancakes are reserved for butter and syrup (unless I'm in Chamonix eating waffles) with a big side of bacon.

PB and syrup on sandwiches? That's sick, it goes on pancakes and French toast, lol. My ex-wife ate peanut butter on bananas when she had my first child.

Ice cream on my waffles.... Mmmmmmm...

Now I'm drooling.....

Ice cream on my waffles.... Mmmmmmm...

Now I'm drooling.....

Really ice cream? I suppose that makes sense - you can get waffle cones.

I'm off duty!

Macaroni and cheese pancakes. Macaroni and cheese between pancakes topped with maple syrup and hot sauce. We had them in NYC at Shopsin's General Store. They were really, really good. Even my daughter loves them. We've made them at home for her and her friends and most of them really liked them ,too.

Kenny Shopsin, the owner, is the subject of a really cool documentary called "I Like Killing Flies". If you're a foodie that likes weird little restaurants its a movie worth watching. The restaurant is worth a visit, too. Cool place. Be prepared to stand in line.

Kenny Shopsin makes macaroni and cheese pancakes.

[YOUTUBE]ayZYfRXS6Do[/YOUTUBE]

Shopsin's General Store

Kevin

Those look tasty. Do you prefer them for breakfast or dinner?

Those look tasty. Do you prefer them for breakfast or dinner?

We had them for lunch in NY, but have made them for both lunch and dinner at home. Haven't had them for breakfast. It looks weird, but everything goes together well.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back