Things That Irritate You On the Course?

This should be merged with another slow play thread.

People who don't fix their ball marks. Courses (or course, since it just my home course) that only mows half the fairways or half the greens once a week.

~Rock

I'll throw a new one out there; the guys riding the mowers who follow me from hole to hole and keep their equipment running during the entire round. I realize that work has to be done, but it kills my round.

How about loud people???

I don't mind the uproar when someone hits a long birdie putt or holes one out for eagle, but we all know the doof screaming at the top of his lungs every chance they get... Yea, bro, Im glad you sank that 4 foot putt but I don't need to hear about it 2 fairways over...

I'll add the loud driver dude to the list... Nothing like watching some guy grunt like he's trying to pass a bowling ball every time he swings his driver... The funny thing is 99% of said grunters cannot drive to save their lives...

Acorns and pine cones annoy me on the course.

people who don't yell fore.

it's not just etiquette, it's safety!!!

Merged with a similar thread.

Marshalls who want to talk to you, or follow you around the course because they know you and they are bored.

slow play on the greens is so irritating.... im talking about that foursome of old guys who need to take a look at every angle for their putt. They will get behind the ball, look at it form the opposite angle, then get a double sideways view.... soooo slow

Tee boxes in poor condition. Aside from slow play nothing annoys me more than a tee box that is chewed up so you cant find a spot to tee the ball and get a good footing or tee boxes that are not level.

The worst imo has to be the 30 handicapper, duffing the ball left and right, who tries to fix a nonexistent flaw in your swing. This happened to ms one day at my home course, the guy signed on with me because it was pretty full for a Thursday afternoon (fyi, I'm 15, and he was 45-ish), and I was fine playing with him, he was nice enough and even though he wasn't the greatest player, he was pretty quick. I'm 1 over through 7 and on the tee, and he's around 15 over, and he says "your swing has been terrible today, maybe you should keep your damn head on the ball and you might be able to hit the ball straighter." now, I'm the first one to admit my swing isn't the greatest (it looks really strange standing behind me because my head comes way back), but due to above average hand eye coordination, I get back to square at impact. I had been hitting a baby draw all day, and absolutely smoking the ball (for me, which is around 250 with the driver). Next swing, duckhooked it into the woods. He laughed and said "guess you should have listened to me kid." I have never been more ticked off on the course, and I actually walked off after 9 because of how big of a jerk he was.

sorry for the wall of text, but there's my pet peeve on the course. How about you guys?

The worst imo has to be the 30 handicapper, duffing the ball left and right, who tries to fix a nonexistent flaw in your swing. This happened to ms one day at my home course, the guy signed on with me because it was pretty full for a Thursday afternoon (fyi, I'm 15, and he was 45-ish), and I was fine playing with him, he was nice enough and even though he wasn't the greatest player, he was pretty quick. I'm 1 over through 7 and on the tee, and he's around 15 over, and he says "your swing has been terrible today, maybe you should keep your damn head on the ball and you might be able to hit the ball straighter." now, I'm the first one to admit my swing isn't the greatest (it looks really strange standing behind me because my head comes way back), but due to above average hand eye coordination, I get back to square at impact. I had been hitting a baby draw all day, and absolutely smoking the ball (for me, which is around 250 with the driver). Next swing, duckhooked it into the woods. He laughed and said "guess you should have listened to me kid." I have never been more ticked off on the course, and I actually walked off after 9 because of how big of a jerk he was.

sorry for the wall of text, but there's my pet peeve on the course. How about you guys?

any chance he was joking around?

any chance he was joking around?

unfortunately, no, because my dad played with him one morning, and he did the exact same thing to him and his playing partners. The guy is fairly unliked at the club because of this habit.

Watching the two more experienced (aka elderly) golfers in front of me drive there golf cart right onto the green. Couldn't decide if I was more upset that they drove it on the green, or more jealous that they are at that stage in life where the rules don't apply and they just don't give a hoot.

Seriously? That would have ticked me off a bit too (although I've never been 1 over through 7, I'm a 15 and 3 over through 7 is a spectastical round to me hahaha).

I rarely every get irritated with others on the course but in the last two days I've gotten a bit mad. Day before yesterday I was teed up on 1 when some guys were also teed up on 9 which is the adjacent fairway coming back towards the club house. I teed up, swung for the fences and put just a bit too much draw on the ball (my new enemy, better than too much slice I guess) and ended up in the rough between 1 and 9. As I'm driving up to my ball I see the guys from 9 drive over beside it. He leans over, picks it up, drives about 5 yards (closer to my tee box too the jerk) and then tosses it out when he realizes it's not his ball. That kinda made blood shoot out of my eyes but I kept my mouth shut and just stared at him shaking my head.

Yesterday I decided to go play a course I've never been on just to try something new. The pictures on the website were great etc and I found a good deal on golf18 so I bought an early morning round and rolled out. The conditions were so far beyond ridiculous I can't even describe it. I lost EIGHT balls by the 14th hole, two of which might have been lost on a normal course, the other 6 were lost due to the 1st cut being 8-10 inches high. I actually lost 1 in the "fairway". The greens were longer than I keep my yard and most likely stimping in the -2 range, you had to take a full swing with the putter to move the ball 10 feet. The only good thing about it would be I stuck every green I hit because the ball simply couldn't roll.

To sum it up, here's a "fairway".

E442D143-2B2B-4A57-9F21-2B34D64D3F4A-13189-000005C1062DC98E_zps2aaf4468.jpg

And here's a green.

30358514-652B-48E4-83BA-6D1593F78A0C-13189-000005C11129068A_zpsdca904ae.jpg

The last straw was the group behind me, one of the guys couldn't hit off the tee to save his life and every time he missed he scream God @$!%!@# it Rodney what the !$$%#@$! and on and on and on. You could hear him for 2-3 holes in either direction I'm sure.

Here in Southern California... Old Korean ladies golfing. I'm not trying to sound racist because I'm Korean as well but they drive me CRAZY!

A) Slow play by golfers who have no idea of what golf etiquette is. I was stuck behind two foursomes and a threesome of ladies, who would hit 100 yard tee shots and then wait for the green to clear....at 250 yards. I was in a twosome and we played the front nine in 1:05 and the back nine in 3:35. Miserable, unpleasureable round.

2) Random people who critique your swing. On the second hole this turd was telling me that I am over-swinging....I shot 77. He didn't break 100.

Wow Slodsm, that's just bad, lol. Sorry man, that's like robbery!

Wow Slodsm, that's just bad, lol. Sorry man, that's like robbery!

Agreed, I would have demanded my money back. No excuse for having the course open in that condition. Just my opinion though.

Sunflower seed spits on the green. Drives me crazy clearing them out of my line.

2) Random people who critique your swing. On the second hole this turd was telling me that I am over-swinging....I shot 77. He didn't break 100.

LoL, I played with a group of people for work for the first time and stunk it up on the first hole (my drive went all of 10 yards, 2nd shot slice hard, 3rd shot chip out of bushes, 4th to the green then 2 putt for double)... They all assumed I sucked and kind of blew me off as a golfer... I don't think a single one of them even noticed I went Double Bogie, par, par, par, bogie, par, par, bogie, par, until they counted up the scores at the turn and I was leading by 5 shots...

Back