Callaway FT Optiforce Driver Review - Forum Testing

Great stuff Jordan & Ryan!

Looking for to Bomber Brad to having his in hand today as well

The FT Optiforce 460 finally made it to the house today! It was like torture waiting for this thing all week! Boy the looks of this thing did not disappoint. I was given the Diamana S62 in a Regular Flex. I usually use a Stiff Flex, but I am going to play around with a few different shaft combinations so it's really not that big of deal. I noticed right off the bat the light weight feel of this club. But like Ryan and Jordan have stated, I didn't get that "whippy" sensation that one could of expected with a club that is marketed as "light and fast." Let's start with a few pictures:

IMG_1211_zps04615151.jpg

IMG_1213_zps9e903c72.jpg

IMG_1215_zps87147a14.jpg

IMG_1231_zps1c13d28d.jpg

8f076824-6736-4e5d-abc8-427a80833294_zps554bf29f.jpg

IMG_1222_zps2dbc7e55.jpg

IMG_1219_zpse58f77e0.jpg

I was able to sneak out to the range after work today and hit about 50 balls with this thing. I started off with it at -1* and on the (D) Draw setting. So it was sitting as a 9.5* with a slightly closed face. I wanted to try to closely match my J40 445 9.5*. Before we get into the results, lets talk about the adjustability that this driver has. It is very easy to adjust. You set your loft first, and then set whether you want it in a Neutral (N) setting or a Draw (D) setting.

4300a94b-8e4f-483a-83ad-fef721c151af_zps261c8746.jpg

dbc2f513-5c14-4186-afb5-8b7360a4dca4_zpsfd9d510e.jpg

So I started with it at 9.5* and with the D setting. The results were somewhat disappointing. I noticed a much lower ball flight than I do with my J40 and it seemed to almost be more like line drives then it was that nice, rising, penetrating ball flight. The ball seemed to just not be able to get up in the air.

So I decided to try the driver at 10.5* (S) and keep it on the (D) Draw setting. What. A. Difference. It was like a night and day change. The ball flight got up, and just seemed to carry FOREVER. It also had that nice, penetrating flight that everyone dreams of. I was hitting parts of the range that I wasn't hitting before with my J40. I can't even imagine what it will be like hitting actually quality golf balls. (Which will be happening Saturday). I ran out of golf balls because I was having so much fun with this setting. I plan on putting this club through the rigors on the Trackman on Saturday at Pine Lakes. I'll report back with some concrete numbers after that!

Another thing I wanted to do was try to show everyone how this driver matches up against some of the competition. So here is a picture of the OptiForce on the left, Classic 270 in the middle and the J40 445 on the right. You can tell that the J40 and OptiForce seem to match up a little more than the Classic 270, even though the J40 is 15cc less than the Optiforce.

IMG_1230_zps234b6247.jpg

There are a few things I want to accomplish with this testing:

1. Sit down and give a brutally honest assessment of this club. Putting it through all the rigors possible.

2. Help THPers/guests get the best information/most information I can possibly give.

3. Have fun with this bad boy.

I will be updating/in this thread as much as possible and will answer any questions to the best of my ability! Hopefully you guys enjoyed this initial overview!

That adapter seems like it is awful complicated. It will be interesting to hear how it works for you guys.

So this thing sounds super forgiving by the sounds. Would that be a save early assessment?

probably why i'm not a physicist. that sounds about right. :clapp:

Also not a physicist but I think I recall that weight is not the same as mass. In which case, wouldn't all 460cc have the same mass?

That adapter seems like it is awful complicated. It will be interesting to hear how it works for you guys.

It's actually not too bad Erik, all you have to do is find which loft you want, whether it's on the top cog or bottom one, than set it to either D or N for Draw or Neutral. It's just a matter of making sure it's lined up with the lines.

So this thing sounds super forgiving by the sounds. Would that be a save early assessment?

I would definitely say there is some forgiveness. Much more than my J40 445 TBH. You are going to lose a bit of distance when the ball is hit off the heel/toe. But it is not going to penalize you as much from accentuating a hook or a slice IMO.

probably why i'm not a physicist. that sounds about right. :clapp:

I went and looked it up. I think I was technically right but probably wrong in the application of that principle to a golf club. I think the discussion would get too far away from Optiforce testing, so I deleted my post :)

It's actually not too bad Erik, all you have to do is find which loft you want, whether it's on the top cog or bottom one, than set it to either D or N for Draw or Neutral. It's just a matter of making sure it's lined up with the lines.

I could see myself losing a piece. Maybe I am just jaded because the AMP Cell is so easy.

I could see myself losing a piece. Maybe I am just jaded because the AMP Cell is so easy.

Nice thing about it is they actually don't come off the shaft. They can't be pulled off. That picture in the OptiForce booklet is a little mis leading. So you can take off the head and not have to worry about the COGs falling off. So don't let that keep you from a purchase! :alien: Haha.

Great initial review and pics dcbrad

yeah, don't really want to get into the physics of it, but from all the testers so far it seems to work. Although I think there is a weight application, otherwise in a sport like bowling, everyone would be hurling 8 lbs balls as they are all the same size.

But that said, I trust Callaway's investment in their R&D team more than my understanding of things. Keep the impressions coming, interested in this one. Great job guys.

I went and looked it up. I think I was technically right but probably wrong in the application of that principle to a golf club. I think the discussion would get too far away from Optiforce testing, so I deleted my post :)

PM sent!

Nice thing about it is they actually don't come off the shaft. They can't be pulled off. That picture in the OptiForce booklet is a little mis leading. So you can take off the head and not have to worry about the COGs falling off. So don't let that keep you from a purchase! :alien: Haha.

That makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

yeah, don't really want to get into the physics of it, but from all the testers so far it seems to work. Although I think there is a weight application, otherwise in a sport like bowling, everyone would be hurling 8 lbs balls as they are all the same size.

But that said, I trust Callaway's investment in their R&D team more than my understanding of things. Keep the impressions coming, interested in this one. Great job guys.

It isn't necessarily the weight that Callaway was going after to boost club head speed. From my understanding, The aerodynamics of the club head are what mostly led to the 23% less drag when compared to the X-Hot Pro.

Great review so far guys. This is an interesting club.

Every time I see this thread Callaway FT I think someone wants to trade a driver.

I ran into a little hiccup out on the range today with my OptiForce. I went to make my first adjustments and when I was taking the club head off the screw gave me just a bit of flack. I didn't think much of it and went on with my adjustments. I was planning on taking the loft down to 9.5 to lower my ball flight a bit. I lined up the bolt and started to tighten it. It was going in just fine and then the shaft started turning. I held down the shaft and the screw wouldn't turn. I wanted to try and force it a bit but I figured this would do some damage so I backed off and pulled the head back off.

IMG_0054.jpg

It's hard to see in the picture but the shiny parts inside the adapter are stripped after a single use. The paint chips you see on the outside of the adapter are from when the shaft started spinning. I've used my fair share of adjustable drivers and have never had this happen. I'm sure this is not a testament to Callaway's quality control and I understand that you won't always get a perfect club. So, like I said, just a small hiccup. JB is on this one for me and I hope to get the OptiForce back out soon.

14-14 FIR...holy sh!t! That's amazing Ryan. I'm glad you are seeing positive results. The Optiforce seems like a complete departure from the Cleveland Black. Looking forward to see this is person in a few weeks.

DC I think this will be a game changer for you and you are rocking the review. Did you find it much easier to get elevation with the 10.5* setting over the J40?

14-14 FIR...holy sh!t! That's amazing Ryan. I'm glad you are seeing positive results. The Optiforce seems like a complete departure from the Cleveland Black. Looking forward to see this is person in a few weeks.

DC I think this will be a game changer for you and you are rocking the review. Did you find it much easier to get elevation with the 10.5* setting over the J40?

I did Freddie. I was able to get great elevation on it without much effort. Just that awesome penetrating ball flight that seemed to carry forever. Really seemed to be a huge difference from the 9.5* setting. Like I said earlier, there is going to be lots of tinkering with this bad boy.

Jordan, that's such a bummer man. On that note, I have noticed something as well right off the bat. The two cogs, they seem to not want to separate after I pull the head off. They can move up and down the adapter, but it takes quite a bit of effort to pull them apart to make a change to loft/lie. This may be just a process where it needs to be worked in a bit, so I will keep an eye on it as I keep working with it.

Is the wrench the same as previous wrenches that work on the xhot and rfe?

Is the wrench the same as previous wrenches that work on the xhot and rfe?

I am not 100% sure on that, but here's a close up of the head on the wrench and maybe you might be able to compare

FEF53013-7DCF-4378-BC68-5E869F4A2E42-109-000000009639C967_zps73ab52e0.jpg

I am not 100% sure on that, but here's a close up of the head on the wrench and maybe you might be able to compare

FEF53013-7DCF-4378-BC68-5E869F4A2E42-109-000000009639C967_zps73ab52e0.jpg

It's the same, thanks

It is obviously natural to focus on distance with this club since it is marketed as lighter = faster = longer. In time I'd like to hear from the testers about playability and accuracy, especially in relation to the adjustability of the club. For example, do you have a common miss with the driver? Does the club's adjustment features help you over come that miss? Thanks!

Jordan....wow! Dude, you don't need to take a power drill to get those things off buddy!!! Ha! Hope you get a replacement soon!

Ryan...14/14??!! Really? Good gosh...

Brad, can't wait to see how this performs long term for you. Curious if the distance is there for you and the consistency stays in check.

For my round this weekend, I am planning on putting the loft up to 11.5* and on the range (pre-round) checking out this "draw" setting.

I had left it bone stock when I gamed it this past Sunday and really liked what I saw, but a touch more lunch and a bit straighter off the tee is always intriguing.

For my round this weekend, I am planning on putting the loft up to 11.5* and on the range (pre-round) checking out this "draw" setting.

I had left it bone stock when I gamed it this past Sunday and really liked what I saw, but a touch more lunch and a bit straighter off the tee is always intriguing.

I have a feeling you are gonna walk away impressed with that setting. I certainly was!

Back