Thanksgiving Holiday Traditions

This is one of my favorite holidays because the food is so yummy and there is no pressure of gift giving.

I agree and it's not religious so everyone celebrates. It is my favorite holiday.

This is one of my favorite holidays because the food is so yummy and there is no pressure of gift giving.

Agreed. It's all about the food. The menu is always the same (more or less), and we know the drill. No distractions; it's easy.

The only question is how much my in-laws and SIL will drink and how loud the yelling will get.

Anyone have any Thanksgiving disasters? My aunt hosted Thanksgiving one year, but she doesn't do turkey so she had the meal catered. Dinner was delivered, but the turkey was almost raw. We called the Butterball hotline and they walked us through microwaving it. Needless to say, she never used those caterers again.

Butterball Hotline? I wonder if it's a red phone?

Diane, I didn't know you could microwave one like that. Did you have to slice that raw meat and then microwave it?

Butterball Hotline? I wonder if it's a red phone?

Diane, I didn't know you could microwave one like that. Did you have to slice that raw meat and then microwave it?

Nope we put the entire turkey in - it took an hour.

Well it appears the cheesecake was a success, yay!

Congrats.

I'm in that lull between the prep and the last-minute busyness. I even have all my serving dishes on the kitchen table, labled as to contents, with utensils in them.

I should be addressing Christmas cards.

Congrats.

I'm in that lull between the prep and the last-minute busyness. I even have all my serving dishes on the kitchen table, labled as to contents, with utensils in them.

You're in the time frame where, if I was drinking today, especially with the Packers playing, I would have a spicy Bloody Mary.

Kevin

Did JB eat it for breakfast?

Yes. He started asking me last night if he could have a piece but I kept saying no because it needed to set overnight. So first thing this morning he asked if it was set yet, so I gave in and said yes he could have a piece. I am so happy that he liked it and now that I know just how easy it is to make a cheesecake I think I will experiment with different types from now on.

Congrats.

I hate that part of the day. I was like that earlier and finally I just started making some of the side dishes. Now everything is in the oven except for the turkey. That will be going into the oven in about 30-45 minutes.

Did you remember to pull out the giblet bag???

My ex-wife did that once, lol. Liz's mom made a pie a few years ago and it was really bad. I guess she said she forgot the sugar? I think it was pumpkin.

Did you remember to pull out the giblet bag???

My ex-wife did that once, lol. Liz's mom made a pie a few years ago and it was really bad. I guess she said she forgot the sugar? I think it was pumpkin.

LOL no worries about the giblet bag we are just making a turkey breast so it doesn't come with a giblet bag.

LOL no worries about the giblet bag we are just making a turkey breast so it doesn't come with a giblet bag.

No dark meat? :confused2:

The turkey is in the oven and the countdown is on.

No dark meat? :confused2:

No, neither of us like dark meat so we thought it would be a waste to cook an entire turkey. The dark meat would have just been thrown out so we decided to just do a turkey breast. We did the same thing for Thanksgiving last year and it was perfect. I am pretty sure we will be having turkey sandwiches for a week, however, because the smallest breast they had was 5 lbs which is plenty for just the two of us. Our house smells so good right now :clap:

No, neither of us like dark meat so we thought it would be a waste to cook an entire turkey. The dark meat would have just been thrown out so we decided to just do a turkey breast. We did the same thing for Thanksgiving last year and it was perfect. I am pretty sure we will be having turkey sandwiches for a week, however, because the smallest breast they had was 5 lbs which is plenty for just the two of us. Our house smells so good right now :clap:

Oh, my! I like the white, but the dark to me is the best. I cover the white with gravy along with the dressing. I just don't understand desert. Who has room for that??

Caramelized onions are ready to go on the stove.

GG made the most incredible Thanksgiving meal I have ever had. A little backstory...I do not like people cooking for me. I am fairly independent and cook quite a bit in our home. She has really enjoyed cooking and baking and really wanted to this year.

Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Cornbread casserole, and more. Plus a homemade chocolate cheesecake for dessert. All I can say is wow. The best I have ever had. I love you my wife. Thank you.

GG made the most incredible Thanksgiving meal I have ever had. A little backstory...I do not like people cooking for me. I am fairly independent and cook quite a bit in our home. She has really enjoyed cooking and baking and really wanted to this year.

Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Cornbread casserole, and more. Plus a homemade chocolate cheesecake for dessert. All I can say is wow. The best I have ever had. I love you my wife. Thank you.

Early eating huh?

Sounds like a great dinner. I'll be over for leftovers.

Early eating huh?
The earlier you eat, the longer you get to snack on everything the rest of the night!

Reading that reminds me of all the wonderful things I am thankful for in my life....my husband.

Early eating huh?

Sounds like a great dinner. I'll be over for leftovers.

The earlier you eat, the longer you get to snack on everything the rest of the night!

That is exactly right Smally. Growing up we always had a late dinner and then we were all so full we couldn't move and went to bed on such a full stomach. This way is much better. If you eat early you can snack again later if you are hungry but at least you don't go to bed with such a full stomach. Plus it allows us to save room for dessert later!

Reading that reminds me of all the wonderful things I am thankful for in my life....my husband.

That is exactly right Smally. Growing up we always had a late dinner and then we were all so full we couldn't move and went to bed on such a full stomach. This way is much better. If you eat early you can snack again later if you are hungry but at least you don't go to bed with such a full stomach. Plus it allows us to save room for dessert later!

I also forgot about the time difference... I will be eating around 4 o'clock as well

I'm full.

Kevin

You forgot to mention a nap. As afternoon, full stomach naps go .... that was a 10!

Back