Another new Callaway Driver?

Getitclose

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
Just saw a new Prototype driver that Callaway has come out with. It seems to have the SLDR technology in the back if the club head. Is it just me, or does it seem like Callaway is becoming Taylormade? Releasing 4+ drivers a year is crazy! I mean I spent $400 on my RFX in Feb. now it's not even worth $180 if I want to re-sale it.

Who said that driver is a 2013 release? In that stage, I highly doubt it

Seeing a prototype driver does not mean anything is coming to market any time soon.
Prototypes get put out to test sometimes up to a year before hitting the news/market.

yeah, No face textures, no bottom textures, tape on most things hiding them.

These seem EARLY EARLY prototypes on the blades, and for the most part the driver looks very beta also.

It's definitely different. Saw some pics from the tournament this week. Should be interesting.

There's at least 5 Coverts on the conforming list. Doesn't mean anything. As JB stated its probably in testing for performance to test their ideas. I'll be interested when its the on the conforming list and tour seeding starts.

Yeah this driver has to be a prototype. I doubt we see anything concrete til next year.

Companies are always doing testing on new technology. But when it comes to market is always an unknown.

Ya I guess that's true. Didn't really think of it like that...the new Proto Irons look interesting as well

Looks like an Optiforce with movable weight, which has been noted as missing from the latest driver releases. With the timing of these photos I'd wager a Spring 2014 release.

Doubt that's happening for a bit to echo other's words. No etching of any kind.

Just saw a new Prototype driver that Callaway has come out with. It seems to have the SLDR technology in the back if the club head. Is it just me, or does it seem like Callaway is becoming Taylormade? Releasing 4+ drivers a year is crazy! I mean I spent $400 on my RFX in Feb. now it's not even worth $180 if I want to re-sale it.

As is my R1 Black. It is just the reality of this industry, not these two companies. Heck, Amp Cells can be had for $129 and those are seriously good drivers. I think the lesson - from a purely financial standpoint - is to be a discerning consumer and wait 6 months before making a purchase.

Does a prototype suddenly make your driver not work?

As is my R1 Black. It is just the reality of this industry, not these two companies. Heck, Amp Cells can be had for $129 and those are seriously good drivers. I think the lesson - from a purely financial standpoint - is to be a discerning consumer and wait 6 months before making a purchase.

Or buy a product you like and not worry about the resale value. I think this is the case for any consumer product out there. Buy a new car and 6 months later its not wort the same. Consumer electronics, same thing. It is what it is, but if one buys a golf product, you hope they buy it because they like it and it works for them, rather than it being the newest release.

I've never understood peoples obsession with resale value of a golf club. Anything you buy is going to depreciate like half after the first round anyway. I personally like seeing more competition, more R&D and more social discussion of what's hot on the market, it brings with it better products to the market place. I buy when I can buy with little fear I'm missing anything because something else will come along even better eventually.

edit: JB just beat me to my own thoughts.

Or buy a product you like and not worry about the resale value. I think this is the case for any consumer product out there. Buy a new car and 6 months later its not wort the same. Consumer electronics, same thing. It is what it is, but if one buys a golf product, you hope they buy it because they like it and it works for them, rather than it being the newest release.
I'm with you. I'd rather have multiple options vs. one or two.

I remember hearing that they wanted to streamline the Callaway line and make it easily distinguishable. Saturating and releasing driver after driver was the last thing that came to my mind. Do people really know the difference between the RFE, XH, XHP, Optiforce 440 and 460?

Its end of Aug, probably comes out towards xmas time. Funny how things work, TM brings out the SLDR with the sliding weight technology, couple months later Callaway has a protoype with a similar technology, TM is on the front, Callaway on the rear.

What is the name of this new Callaway driver. I looking for it now.

Its end of Aug, probably comes out towards xmas time. Funny how things work, TM brings out the SLDR with the sliding weight technology, couple months later Callaway has a protoype with a similar technology, TM is on the front, Callaway on the rear.

Considering Mizuno used sliding weights YEARS ago, I'd disagree with that point.

I would also say they bought Adams because of the patent infringement issues with the slot technology they took from Adams.

I remember hearing that they wanted to streamline the Callaway line and make it easily distinguishable. Saturating and releasing driver after driver was the last thing that came to my mind. Do people really know the difference between the RFE, XH, XHP, Optiforce 440 and 460?

The first 3 are completely different spinning heads. The newest two are also more mid spinning heads and different adjustability than the first 3.

Maybe the guys going to Orlando this week will get a chance to see and hit this club. I know there is a NDA involved so we might not know if they do.

The first 3 are completely different spinning heads. The newest two are also more mid spinning heads and different adjustability than the first 3.
To the knowledged consumer which makes up a small percentage of the market. I could tell you the difference between all the old Razr irons as well, but was abundantly confusing for the average consumer in store.

That was on THP Radio, in this same conversation they also said that they do not believe in sitting back on a product if it is ready.

Maybe the guys going to Orlando this week will get a chance to see and hit this club. I know there is a NDA involved so we might WILL not know if they do.

Fixed! :)

I've never understood peoples obsession with resale value of a golf club. Anything you buy is going to depreciate like half after the first round anyway. I personally like seeing more competition, more R&D and more social discussion of what's hot on the market, it brings with it better products to the market place. I buy when I can buy with little fear I'm missing anything because something else will come along even better eventually.

edit: JB just beat me to my own thoughts.

+2 ...... Exactly.

Don't worry about what you neighbor is hitting off the tee. If you can afford to buy the next big thing each time it comes out, more power to you. A lot of us don't get that chance. Would I like to get new stuff every 6 months or so, sure...but like TheDue said, I'll get what I want when I can afford it, and game that until I can afford the next thing and not worry about everything in between.

To the knowledged consumer which makes up a small percentage of the market. I could tell you the difference between all the old Razr irons as well, but was abundantly confusing for the average consumer in store.

Don't disagree, but if you release a couple that fit different profiles, then you can appeal to more people instead of the super low spinning head.

Back