how do you usually play to a distance when its between rions

I take the longer club and choke down then make my normal swing. I don't usually get good results with a hard or an easy swing.

This is truly one of the biggest disadvantages to those learning the game doing it with multiple wedges. They never learn how to hit partial shots.

Definitely. I can open up my 60* and take full shots very close to the green, and anything closer than that I can chip with my 7I. My scores have gone down but there are times when a partial swing is needed and I don't have that in my arsenal anymore. When I try anything other than a full swing or putting stroke shot now, I'll blade it or hit it fat at least half the time.

I take the longer club and swing normal. Chances are good that I'll still be short. Or right. Or both.

for me it is always better to take the longer club and swing easy than to take more loft and swing hard. Too much can go wrong swinging hard.

I certainly agree and probably most of you do as well.

Interesting though. I do think when people first take up the sport or even those who play for quite a while (even years) but don't play much at all they tend to say that its easier to swing the shorter club harder vs tempering or choking up for a swing with the longer club. I still here people say this a lot and I felt this way at one time too.

Imo its a bit misguided logic but because there is less experience involved it leads one to believe they are not good enough to choke up on or temper a swing due to them being strikes that appear to require more finess vs swinging harder. In a sense that seems logical but what they don't realize at the time is that they are even worse at golf while swinging harder. We of course later learn and know that the results from swinging harder are actually worse off most of the time vs tempering down or simply choking up.

How many times I've been with good golfers who have stood on a tee and said I'm gonna give this one a blast or something of that nature. Most of the time from what I've seen it ended up about their worse shot of the day.

Last edited:
Depends on a few factors in play, but most often I'll choke down a bit and reduce the back swing. Reason being, you have to make a good pass through the ball to make good contact. The kiss of death is laying off the swing too much and the ball ends up going nowhere. I see that so often where people just try and swing easy and they end up in worse trouble. Once you figure out some distances using different grips and back swings, no distance is a problem.

Every once in a while when the mood and conditions are right, I'll just reach back for a little extra and swing out of my shoes. It can be a little more risky, but sometimes it is the better play.

Simply put if I truly am in between clubs I will play the longer club from the deck and just take a normal swing unless it will cause a penalty to go long. Typically if I don't hit my normal distance it is a bit short, not a flyer long. Conversely from the tee I choose the shorter club knowing in most cases I will hit the front of the green.

Choke up a little on a longer club and think the number over and over in my head. Amazing what perspective can do.

Choke up a little on a longer club and think the number over and over in my head. Amazing what perspective can do.

do you mean the yardage number or the number of the shorter club?

I had this situation this past weekend and went with the shorter club. A miss short was easier than long.

Like most here I take the longer club, choke down and try to make a nice smooth swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is a lot of variables but on average I would choke up on a longer club.

I would probably go with the shorter club. I find that I have a tendency to push/slice it right when I'm trying to let off a little bit on a club. While I may pull the shorter club a bit I find it's less offline than the slice

I would probably go with the shorter club. I find that I have a tendency to push/slice it right when I'm trying to let off a little bit on a club. While I may pull the shorter club a bit I find it's less offline than the slice

So what if you try choking up on the longer club and taking a full swing? Removes the swinging easy issue, and will go shorter due to the reduced shaft length.

It depends for me. No particular reasoning usually, I just grab one and either swing harder or keep my follow through low to hit a knock down. Whichever I feel like.

I always seem to duff it if I try and take some of a club. It usually ends up in a pulled shot. I'd rather take the club below and give it a little more welly.

Most of the time I will go with the longer club but there are many things to consider that others have already brought up. With where I'm at in my game I'm not super concerned with firing straight at a pin. I like to go with my highest percentage shot to get on the green and 2 putt.

ok you found my one loop hole. You want green center and flag is center. You are absolutely between clubs. Which of your two options is your choice

Depends....Is it better to putt at the hole from short or long?

I had this situation this past weekend and went with the shorter club. A miss short was easier than long.

But wondering did you just play the club for what it is and not even concern yourself with getting the extra half club legnth or did you put a bit more into it hoping for some extra out of it?

I always seem to duff it if I try and take some of a club. It usually ends up in a pulled shot. I'd rather take the club below and give it a little more welly.

Instead of taking something off have you tried swinging full with choking up? I assume you must have and maybe dont like that either.

Instead of taking something off have you tried swinging full with choking up? I assume you must have and maybe dont like that either.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to sit to well with me either. Swinging harder with the shorter club just seems to give better results with me. It shouldn't, but it does.

I choke up on the club. I find that 1" of choking down allows me to take about 5 yards off of a shot.

But wondering did you just play the club for what it is and not even concern yourself with getting the extra half club legnth or did you put a bit more into it hoping for some extra out of it?
these situation come up in almost every round. I will always choose the club that I know won't get me in trouble. Lets say my 8i is my 160 club but with a little effort I can stretch to 165 and still hit a good shot. The shot at hand requires I cover 170 to the pin. Well the 8 iron is the play. I know I can stretch it to 165, I'll have a good putt and no fear of going over.

Choking down is easy enough except with your shortest club. Remember choking down on an 8i makes it more the length of a 9i, so on and so forth. If your shortest club is a 60 degree wedge, choking up will feel pretty weird and it's easy to top.

Also it seems weird to ask a pretty simple technique question but imply in the OP that you can probably hit the GIR regardless. If you can probably hit the GIR you probably know what to do already. If you probably can't hit the GIR, it really doesn't matter if you club up or down after all, does it? :D

I play the longer club and grip down on it. If you usually grip the club right at the end, and you hit say a 160yd 7i, gripping down about 1.5" will take 10yds or so off, and will usually give you a little more control over your shot. Taking the shorter club and trying to rip it will usually lead to a fanned shot that will land directly in the bunker for me anyways.

I just use the club that I feel will get me on the green if we're talking full shots. I'm not dialed in to 5 yards there. Probably not even 10 yards with any real consistency.

Partial wedges, I grab the next club and grip down.

Back