The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT I PAID FOR THOSE RANGE BALLS!

(Seriously, I need to learn to let go.)

I'm the same way! I will stay out there and hit every last ball in 90+ degree weather because I paid for them.

That same thing and French fries is probably why I'm fat!

Range session started off great then I quickly reverted back to the old swing and it all went down hill until I realized it towards the end.

Pretty happy with last night's session for a few reasons.

1) Only hit about 50 full swing shots.
2) Kept a single focus (aside from set up) - that was good turn back, good turn though.
3) Practiced the short game shots.

Started off with some thins, but that's pretty normal for me before I warm up. Settled in nicely. Worked a bit on hybrid shots, both for practice and for a little auditioning.

Im thinking about going to the range and leaving my wallet in my bag. I mean just spending an early evening just chipping and putting.

Think this could be good for me

Im thinking about going to the range and leaving my wallet in my bag. I mean just spending an early evening just chipping and putting.

Think this could be good for me

Couldnt possibly hurt could it? Go for it brosephus.

Been doing that more and more lately Taylor. Mostly because I don't have the time to get to the range.

I am going to give it a go after work..

I feel that I will be compelled to go to the range afterwards, but we will see.

One thing I did last time was hit shots from terrible lies when I was working greenside. Dropped the ball in nasty rough, stomped on it, hit it off bare lies, etc. I usually just give myself nice lies to practice from, but sort of thought that was dumb since it's not always that way in real life. Obviously much harder to get the ball close that way, but the real goal is just to have a putt I might be able to make, rather than another chip or really long putt.

One of my favorite practice drills is to take one ball, throw it somewhere into the rough, then try to get up and down from whatever lie I end up with.

This is a surprisingly good way to make short game practice more robust and less monotonous - you end up needing to hit a ton of different shots even though they are all from a similar distance, you simulate playing (1 ball only, no do-overs), you practice with a purpose (up and down, never more than 3 shots) and you work on multiple parts of the game (pitch, chip and putt).

Yes sir. I read a really good quote from Harvey Penick that I'm trying to use as a guide leading up to the Grandaddy. It's the reason I decided to tackle the alignment thing and why I figured hitting from bad lies might be a good idea.

“In golf your strengths and weaknesses will always be there. If you could improve your weaknesses, you would improve your game. The irony is that people prefer to practice their strengths.”

It's so right for me too. I am extremely guilty of just doing what I'm already ok at, which leads to no improvement in the areas I most need it.

Another shout out to all of you that said to try playing "holes" instead of banging the same club over and over and over. I think several range sessions of playing my home course on the range with: tee shot, second shot based on quality and distance of first shot etc... has really translated to my on-course game, where previously I could be hitting great on the range when I hit 10 balls with the same club then switched clubs, but I would totally blow-up on the course.

Other than trying to change my swing, I don't see me banging balls over and over with the same club at all. I rarely hit the same club 5 times in a row on the course........

Chipping. I know it's tricky. I have heard that you can improve it with repetition. But today was comical.

I realized 15 minutes in to practicing that I was stubbing every third shot. I thought that I was maybe rushing through the chip shots too quickly. Then I thought I was taking too many practice strokes. Then I thought I was over-gripping. Nothing mattered - every third chip shot was a stubbed club and about 1/2 the distance. Not just one third of my shots, mind you - it was exactly every third shot. It was 2 good shots, 1 bad shot. Repeat a dozen times over.

I started playing a game - hit 3 good chips in a row with the 60* wedge, then move on to the 54* wedge, then move on to my GW, then on to my PW.

It took me over an hour to accomplish this with my 60* wedge. It was nearly 1/2 an hour with my 54* wedge. I didn't even bother with the other two.

Maybe I should leave the 60* in the bag? Except I'm really happy with the results I get on those 2 out of 3 shots that go well. And I have pretty much the same inconsistency problem with my 54* wedge. And I probably have the same problem with the GW and PW.

Oh well, I guess I can be happy that my chip shots aren't all squirting left like they were a few weeks ago. But another chipping session like today's, and I'll start to seriously think I have an issue with my physical coordination that I need to ask my doctor about. I mean, I'm not trying to stub the clubhead into the turf, but it just happens anyways.

Just curious, do you chip with the leading edge of your wedges or use the bounce?

The driver is such a fickle beast...one day its money, the next its crap. Fortunately for you your short game is awesome! When this happens to me I like to hit balls with a short backswing in a narrow stance - basically just trying to hit it straight and like 150yds or so. Helps me get the feel of the correct impact again, and then I steadily speed it up.

As for me, I spent about 75 minutes yesterday on half wedges, chipping and putting - Lord knows I need it after posting 40 putts on Monday. Was also doing a putting drill with 9 balls where you hit the first one about 5 feet, then try and hit each subsequent ball just a little further, maybe a foot or so. Awesome speed drill, took me forever to get it! I really need to work on a constant rhythm in my half wedge swing, as I will have several yards of variance in the carry distance with the same backswing due to a different tempo. A good start to fixing my short game!

Yeah my short game has been bailing me out when my GIR is crap lately which is great. It's nice to see my practice with chipping/bunkers/putting paying off on the scorecard a little bit. I'll get the driver fixed one way or another...it would probably be a good start to just pick one and run with it for awhile instead of swinging different head/shaft combos every week.

You will not regret your short game work. It's the one thing that you can always take with you and can turn two real average shots into a good or even great hole. Tempo with short chips and pitches can be real tricky but I think the best way to get consistent is just lots of practice. I know I ran into some trouble when I got comfortable opening the face because I would open the face up a different amount each time...even if it was just a little bit. This lead to adjusting the pace of my stroke which really just throws everything for a loop again. Kind of like if you forward press the putter...it's really hard to press the exact same amount on every putt IMO.

Just curious, do you chip with the leading edge of your wedges or use the bounce?

I was practicing shorter chips (say, 8-15 yards) and I've been using a toe-down technique. So, more of a leading edge, I'd guess. I used to go with the leading edge flat (not toe-down), but the toe-down feels a bit more natural, and I think it has helped eliminate a leftward (away from my body) drift on these shots.

For longer chips that I want to get in the air and land soft, I'll use the bounce and a more vertical downswing. But for these shorter chips, it's more of a putting stroke with the toe down slightly.

I had a great day at the range today. From the first swing I was hitting it well. Worked on my woods. My shot shape has had a little too much shape the last couple rounds and I wanted to spend some time working on that. Figured out that my ball position had crept up a little too far leading me to hold on and release late, same with the driver.

I worked on my hybrid as I pulled it bad a couple shots the last few rounds. Got that too, one of the things I really worked on in my lessons was my right hand position and I was unintentionally pulling the grip around and closing the club face, doh!

Chipping and putting was good and fun as usual. Hit it high low and cut lob off all wedges. Putted with the Spider today and it felt really good. I am thinking about gaming it tomorrow, I will see how it feels in warmup.

Had another rough night at the range. Slicing bad and no distance. I think I may take a few days off of the range and work on the basics with the wiffle balls in the back yard. I'm still topping really bad which makes me think I'm not keeping my head down, plus I'm adjusting my swing too much. The marshal at a local range told me a few weeks back that I don't have enough body and all arms in my swing, and I think he planted the seed in my head and I'm putting to much in the swing now.

I did pick up some of the driveway marker sticks from Lowes today, so maybe I will try those out to see if it helps with my alignment.

Went back to the practice area for more punishment just before supper, ha ha! No chipping this time, but putting.

I was not disappointed for lack of frustration. It turns out I can't sink more than 1/2 my 3 foot putts. Man, when it rains it pours.

Had a range lesson with my coach, Ron. Rainy day, but not too bad. Worked on driver, nailing down some of the little hiccups that had been creeping into my full swing. Did a lot to correct some alignment problems and some tendencies not to finish my backswing or my follow through. After that, worked on wedges. During the wedge work he noticed a tendency for my right hand to get a bit weak and then my needing to get too handsy to get the clubhead square on impact. Once that got fixed, flop shots got easy, and full wedge shots turned into the practice greens began spinning back with range balls. Felt awesome. Then took that corrected grip and went back to the driver. Suddenly my 230 yard baby fade turned into 250+ dead straight. He pointed out that once the alignment, grip, and address position get right in a good swing, the club stays in the correct hitting position longer, and ball flight can be adjusted with just moving the ball in and out slightly for a draw or a fade. Really hope I can replicate these results next time I get on the course.

Lefty, I'd recommend taking less loft. You're making it harder on yourself than it needs to be for a chip shot with that much loft imo.

I took ATL and my pinkie promise seriously and drastically changed my practice routine today. Felt great! I spent 2.5 hours out there and broke it down like this:

Hour and 20 minutes at the short game area hitting shots from 40-100 yards. A little bunker practice as well.

35 balls full swing on the range, maybe 20 minutes?

The rest on the putting green, with some chipping and putting practice there.

The short game area was sorely needed and I really felt like I did some good work there. Full swing was really concentrated since I didn't have a lot of balls. I hit some irons working on my alignment and aiming at targets to my right. Hybrids both off the tee and turf, again working on alignment. Driver working on separation and the feeling of getting my lower body moving while my back was still to the target. Then finished the last 6 balls up with some 85 yard wedges.

Happy I did that. Won't always have the same amount of time as I did today, but the limited number of balls really made me focus on each shot and what I was trying to accomplish.

Good stuff Hawk, I'm thinking I'm going to try this approach today once the monster goes down for a nap. I'm very confident in my golf swing as a whole right now and know how to fix it when it's jacked, but my short game will get me down to even and under par rounds.

Good stuff Hawk, I'm thinking I'm going to try this approach today once the monster goes down for a nap. I'm very confident in my golf swing as a whole right now and know how to fix it when it's jacked, but my short game will get me down to even and under par rounds.

That's pretty much my feeling. Don't get me wrong. I still need regular swing practice, but without anything specific to work on I'm just sort of giving myself too much time to develop swing thoughts. Biggest issue currently is executing when it counts, aiming, alignment, etc, and some will have to be dealt with on the course.

I felt like I lost my touch on the short shots without practice, so getting a bunch of time to work on it will definitely help on the course. I lost strokes last time out from <100 yards that were just stupid misses.

Lefty, I'd recommend taking less loft. You're making it harder on yourself than it needs to be for a chip shot with that much loft imo.

I normally leave the 60* in the bag for greenside work, but I'm trying to get comfortable with it to give myself another option when I'm short-sided, the pin placement is really tight, and putting is not viable (several paces worth of wet, longish fairway grass, for example).

Other than sticking it close to the pin using the 60*, I'd guess I would have to try a bump and run with a PW/GW. But that's kinda tricky if there's nothing to bump the ball against.

I could use a SW/GW, let the ball run past the hole and putt back. But I can't rely on that if the green slopes downward after the hole.

I could also try a finesse 1/8th swing or putting stroke shot with the SW/GW, but if I take too much off the swing, it'll have the same result as stubbing a chip shot with the 60* - ball gets 1/2 way there and I'm still short sided. I might be able to putt at this point, though.

On the bright side, "short-sided, pin placement really tight, putting not viable" doesn't happen that often, so maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing....

I'm still puzzled as to why exactly every third shot was the stub-fail. Just bizarre.

Tonight I worked on the credit card drills and some short game practice. I think tomorrow I might be ready to get back to the range.

Hot some much needed range time in tonight. Being that it was 98deg out when I left work I oped to work on the swing instead of walking 9. Focused on dropping my hands into the slot and clearing my lower body. Mixed results on the swing path but was making decent contact. Driver is still very sparatic but can get by with the FW on most holes with penalizing me too much.

Hoping I can get another range session in this weekend rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back