Playing with Irons Only

irons only is a great way to play....I did it all the time when i got new irons this year and I scored really well. Sometimes better than when playing with woods. Its a great way to learn course management.

NO WAY!!! I spent good money on my driver, woods, and hybrid and I'm gonna use them every chance I get. Love hitting the "long" ball :banana:

NO WAY!!! I spent good money on my driver, woods, and hybrid and I'm gonna use them every chance I get. Love hitting the "long" ball :banana:

easy for you to say since you dont miss the fairway

Even if you're not hitting them well? That sounds like buying pants that don't fit but you keep wearing them lol

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

me to, but I love to score low too

I think you may have missed the purpose of this thread.

My priority is developing my game to where I'm consistently scoring low. If that means giving a rest to clubs that cost me a lot of money then so be it. It doesn't make sense to me to play less consistent golf in the interest of making use of clubs that cost me a lot of money.

I think you may have missed the purpose of this thread.
No, I understand where you are coming from. Glad it has worked for you and others. Myself, I have learned course management by watching the pros on tv and by playing. I have learned my irons by playing also. To each his own.
And all my pants fit fine :clapp:

I ordered my a new 3 - iron and even though I am thrilled with my drivers performance you can bet this new iron will get plenty of tee time on shorter and tighter golf courses. Just makes sense when you can play a long iron with confidence to game it. I will have to pull my 2 hybrid (18) degree out to game the 3 - iron and that will only leave two wood type clubs in my bag. If it works you got to go with it!

Driver is my weakest area. I can play up to 10 strokes below my handicap if I drop the driver. Hmmmm.... Maybe I need LESSONS?

Drop the driver AND take lessons. I played years driving with a 3 wood, then progressed to strong 3 (13*), then to a 12* driver, then 11*, and now a 10.5*. Use whatever works for you and don't worry what others use.

Driver is my weakest area. I can play up to 10 strokes below my handicap if I drop the driver. Hmmmm.... Maybe I need LESSONS?

I actually started a fairly controversial thread about this. I score much, much lower with no Driver (no lost balls).

I've taken a lot of lessons. I hit the ball fairly well in lessons and on the range. Get me on the tee and I start slicing and hooking.

I just don't have the discipline to leave the driver in the bag. The few good ones I hit are so much fun.

upon suggestion of my pro, i have taken my driver out of my bag for now.
and i will not start using it again until i manage to finally get my handicap index (will have to post a 36 stableford in a tournament): i am currently teeing off with my 21 deg. rescue, which carries about 185 yards anyway: since this is the club i have the most confidence with, i see no point in risking out of bounds or terrible slices with the driver for now.

once i get my handicap, and drop this monkey from my shoulder, i will definitely reintroduce my driver.

I think it might be time to do this again.

It's something I like to do when I get a new set of irons. It helps me learn my distances and what they are able to do. Smalls if you do it have fun.

It's something I like to do when I get a new set of irons. It helps me learn my distances and what they are able to do. Smalls if you do it have fun.

I've done it. Back during the a12OS testing I did it for quite a while. Just trying to get back to basics. Had some pretty good scores during that time!

Maybe I should do this as well...I need to get better with my iron shots, and I've entered a comfort zone with my 3W/5W/4H/5H, so perhaps I can play without them for a while and not loose my feel for them. I've already decided to keep the driver in the bag 95% of the time when I consider using it, so I'm a couple steps down the road already.

Ahhh, it's probably too late in the season to try something different like this. But it's something to keep in mind.

Interesting concept. The way I'm hitting wood off the deck these days ( like leftysean, I'm in a zone), I don't know if I can discipline myself to do this, but I think it would be fun to try.

I've done it. Back during the a12OS testing I did it for quite a while. Just trying to get back to basics. Had some pretty good scores during that time!

Just saw your post in the What did you shoot today thread. Sounds like a good idea Smalls get your irons back man. You will be shooting lower in no time.

Been there done that. Its a bit shocking at first to realize you can still play good golf without woods. I think it forces thinking your way around as direction is better and there is more consistency in where you are playing from. Gives you a whole new look at the golf course too. I don't think most people understand course management and never really use it until they have to figure out how to get the ball from A to B without the longer clubs.

I went out with just irons the other week after picking up new, I wanted to get a proper on course work out for them.
Shot one of the best scores of the year and 10 under handicap for 17 holes.
A lot to be said for keeping it in play, I'm not a big hitter anyway, 20 yds shorter off the tee isn't fundamentally changing my game but being in the short stuff does

I do this a lot when I am really trying to work on my game. It have found that by playing with irons only, 5 iron down, I improve my ball striking. It also give you a chance to hit shots or play hole in a way you typically do not get to. If I have a couple of weeks to prepare for an upcoming tournament, I love to play about three rounds with irons only.

This is a great way to help yourself remember course management as well as a chance to see your course from different spots. Like others have mentioned, great way to play your whole set of irons, which most of us don't do, myself included. If you take all the woods out of your bag and play nothing but hybrids and irons, you'll see your game in a whole different light.
I think I might need to do this again, too sometime soon.

I do this pretty regularly. Normally I'll still hit 5w, but only if I'm that distance from the hole, never off the tee. With fall approaching/here, I start only bringing 4-5 clubs to the course. While this year I might bring driver b/c I've been so bad with it and want to practice, usually I only bring my irons to go 200/150/100 and a putter, or maybe 200/160/120/80/P. I did the latter just the other day and shot a 78 with 38 putts. Then played the rest of the week with all my clubs and never broke 80 despite much improved putting. It's amazing how dialed in with irons you can become when you're not trying to be over aggressive.

If I carried a 3 and 4 iron I might consider it.

Back