KBS Tour 90 Shafts Review - Forum Testing

Hate to butt in on the conversation but I have a question that may have been answered and I missed it but here goes.
Is anyone else seeing a gain in distance from the 7 iron down to the 4 iron but seeing a distance loss from the 8 iron to GW? I have had my Black CB3's for about a month and really love them but wow, am I having a hard time believing the distance loss in the higher lofted irons. I am guessing it may simply be that I already was hitting those irons fairly high and am now just sending the ball really high (?) I really don't know what to think. I have been using the next stronger lofted club for most shots and am still coming up short more often than not. It may be a simple adjustment of simply moving the ball back further in my stance but I have not been able to get comfortable with this adjustment and have hit a lot of thin shots while trying this fix.
Any thoughts from anyone on this? Thanks.

DD, after my golf swing eval at GolfTEC today, it seems as though that I am seeing distance loss to cupping the left wrist rather than leaving flat at impact. So if any scooping of the ball (thats what I do) I lose major distance in my higher lofted clubs by me adding even more loft. These shafts will get the ball into the air without the scoop. capture some video. :)

Good point Perry, I will take the Flip with me when I hit the course next week. You could have very well hit on it. I know those scoring irons go really high for me.

Several people on here have been deciding between a KBS Tour 90 S flex and KBS Tour S Flex. It is apparent that not everyone understands the progressive flex nature between the KBS Tour 90's and KBS Tour.

KBS, literally, progressively increases their flex stiffness in these shafts according to shaft weight. Therefore, a person would never really be debating between a Tour 90 S and a Tour S. Instead they would be debating between the KBS Tour 90 S at 102 grams vs the KBS Tour R at 110 grams.

The KBS Tour R is stiffer than the KBS Tour 90 S by virtual weight difference.

I read through this entire thread in an afternoon. Holy crap what a mountain of fantastic information. Just a fantastic job by the testers and other contributors. Fantastic. I've got a serious Tour 90 ponder going right now.

I read through this entire thread in an afternoon. Holy crap what a mountain of fantastic information. Just a fantastic job by the testers and other contributors. Fantastic. I've got a serious Tour 90 ponder going right now.
Such a great set of shafts, perhaps my favorite irons shafts.

Completely transformed what the J40 DPCs were for me.

Toss them in the j40s and thank us later...awesome combo

There's a thing or two that I need to work through with the irons first then I'll look at making this happen.

I have accepted that I'll lose some distance from the R/Bladez. It is great to think I can potentially keep some of the easy trajectory if I move to these shafts.

BTW, did anyone go from lighter shafts to the Tour 90s? How did it go? (I think my Bladez have 85 gram stiff shafts).

There's a thing or two that I need to work through with the irons first then I'll look at making this happen.

I have accepted that I'll lose some distance from the R/Bladez. It is great to think I can potentially keep some of the easy trajectory if I move to these shafts.

BTW, did anyone go from lighter shafts to the Tour 90s? How did it go? (I think my Bladez have 85 gram stiff shafts).
I've gamed both, and for me, the Tour 90s at 102g offered me a bit more stability. Trajectory and distance were there, but the feel was what made them

You might lose distance going to the J40s, but with different lofted irons, that's a given...typically.

You and others saw big jumps in GIR numbers. I'm hoping there's a correlation between stability and GIRs. That's a more than fair trade off for some distance. I was nervous the DPCs might be too much club for me but after reading this thread this combo and that possibility has me excited.

You and others saw big jumps in GIR numbers. I'm hoping there's a correlation between stability and GIRs. That's a more than fair trade off for some distance. I was nervous the DPCs might be too much club for me but after reading this thread this combo and that possibility has me excited.

Tour 90 made a BIG change in my game. Mine are R flex and I had to learn not to over swing the shaft. I did NOT lose any distance, but DID increase in GIR by letting the shaft do the work instead of my ego. I will always try KBS first in my irons from now on. They are that good!

JM

Can anyone compare these to the Ping AWT shafts? For some reason I really want these shafts in my irons. From what I've read I really think they'd suit me well.

These shafts have also transformed my game.

They have taught me the importance of tempo in my swing and to respect it, allowing me to swing more within myself thereby maximising consistency. However, I have not lost distance against previous shafts (played both S300 and R300 previously and liked them, as well as PX which I really didn't like)... and I'm not swinging within myself because the Tour 90s are easily overpowered, they have simply taught me that there is nothing to be gained by swinging out of my shoes.

The launch of this shaft is great for me, offering high initial launch which then flattens out with no ballooning and balls stop quickly when hitting into greens even with my long irons. My driver swingspeed is around 100mph and my 8 iron distance is around 150yds or ever so slightly longer, for what that's worth to those reading.

I'm now playing Tour 90s in my irons and wedges, and I'm about to install the KBS hybrid in my LSP. That's fairly high praise of what I feel the KBS shafts have done for my game.

Good luck whatever you decide.

^^^ Bogeyman - sorry, I've not played the AWT shafts so can't offer an opinion.

Can anyone compare these to the Ping AWT shafts? For some reason I really want these shafts in my irons. From what I've read I really think they'd suit me well.
Hi, the Ping AWT shaft is lighter in the 3 iron and gets progressively heavier as they get shorter. 3 grams different in the 3, 4 iron and then 4 grams per shaft in the 5 - PW . The KBS 90 in the taper tip is a constant weighted shaft. Same weight in 3 iron as in the 9 iron. The ping AWT shaft is a shaft made by True Temper and is more tip heavy than the KBS 90 shaft. The KBS shaft is a 50/50 balanced shaft. The result is, the KBS will be a little lighter Swing Weight than the AWT shaft. The trajectory will be very similar.
Hope this helps.
K

Hi, the Ping AWT shaft is lighter in the 3 iron and gets progressively heavier as they get shorter. 3 grams different in the 3, 4 iron and then 4 grams per shaft in the 5 - PW . The KBS 90 in the taper tip is a constant weighted shaft. Same weight in 3 iron as in the 9 iron. The ping AWT shaft is a shaft made by True Temper and is more tip heavy than the KBS 90 shaft. The KBS shaft is a 50/50 balanced shaft. The result is, the KBS will be a little lighter Swing Weight than the AWT shaft. The trajectory will be very similar.
Hope this helps.
K

Good info here. :)

Such a great set of shafts, perhaps my favorite irons shafts.

Completely transformed what the J40 DPCs were for me.
I recently got a set of Infiniti irons with KBS tour 90 stiff flex shafts all I love how they feel. I also am considering j40 DPC irons after hitting j33 combos while visiting Florida. I think I want to get them with the kbs shafts. I followed this great informatonal and insightful thread with interest and have learned a lot. I never thought that this shaft would work for me as I have a quick tempo. I have mostly used s300 and I hit them high so I thought these would balloon and lose distance. That has not been the case. High, lands soft , distance good. After working all day I think using the lighter shaft will help me avoid the "rights"'that creep in near the end of a round. Hey, I'm 56 and though in good shape this sounds like a good thing.
Can I get j40s with these shafts?
Thank you all .

Unfortunately not. Bridgestone only offers the Tours and Tapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm bumping this, too much discussion in the ponder thread recently (my fault) and not enough in the proper thread.

I'm going to sit down and re-read this one as these are stuck in my head right now, I had a conversation pertaining to playing the shaft with the most feel and lowest weight you can while still handling it, that puts these firmly on my radar. Its something I want to try in a big way right now.

High and soft ftw buddy.

Glad to have you on the bandwagon, Ive only hit these in a handful of heads but have loved them just about every time.

High and soft ftw buddy.

Glad to have you on the bandwagon, Ive only hit these in a handful of heads but have loved them just about every time.

Who knows if they would "stick" for me performance wise with my swing (I'm trying to reign in the overly aggressive transition) but I'd like to give them a whirl, 101-102g just sounds blissful right now.

Who knows if they would "stick" for me performance wise with my swing (I'm trying to reign in the overly aggressive transition) but I'd like to give them a whirl, 101-102g just sounds blissful right now.

It would be interesting to see, even Beags and his line drives held up more than one would think.

Pondering enough to be browsing the bay?

It would be interesting to see, even Beags and his line drives held up more than one would think.

Pondering enough to be browsing the bay?

Nah, I'm not spending anything right now on equipment (non putter, of course, haha), will see where the TM Ultimate Testing thing goes as far as what we do or don't get to do. If they're an option there, then maybe. Otherwise, I'll come across a set eventually.

Nah, I'm not spending anything right now on equipment (non putter, of course, haha), will see where the TM Ultimate Testing thing goes as far as what we do or don't get to do. If they're an option there, then maybe. Otherwise, I'll come across a set eventually.

gotcha, I have my search for those iron shafts down to a few, like you once the list is out will decide and go from there.

Back