Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

James- Looking at what you posted in the first post, it doesnt seem the CS option comes in the Almost Belly option?

James- Looking at what you posted in the first post, it doesnt seem the CS option comes in the Almost Belly option?

It just kind of lists them both out there, I'll try and get a direct answer to it.

Anytime there is a polarizing subject on equipment, it makes me think of forum testing.
Might be a good idea here. Let me see what we can do.

Heck yes.

James, as always my friend, some great thoughts early on. I can't help but think of the Sub 30 Type 50 head. Some really strong ties there, and I like that they followed that design. Aesthetically, I'd be more than willing to give this one a whack or 200 to see how it worked.

By chance, when you can, will you snap a photo of a ball at address. Just want to see the difference.

I like the weight (360g), the squares are pretty cleanly done, and I getappreciate the original 2-ball design (and credit given to Odyssey), but what's next "Triple-threat triangles?" "Happy Hexagons?" This to me isn't really ground-breaking as I sit behind the computer. Maybe that will change once I can roll one in my local store, but for my first impression it's just another 2-ball homage.

edit: Sorry Jman, your wite-up is great and well-written like I've come to expect from someone with a ton of putter experience. I'm just commenting on my visual impression of the putter itself.

Anytime there is a polarizing subject on equipment, it makes me think of forum testing.

Heck yea, 38" Almost Belly option would be fantastic!!

It just kind of lists them both out there, I'll try and get a direct answer to it.

Alex just said on Twitter that almost belly will be heel shafted only.

Darn it!

Darn it!
Yep, however, the heel shaft in the T-Frame for me worked really really well, even though I prefer the CS.

Yep, however, the heel shaft in the T-Frame for me worked really really well, even though I prefer the CS.

Solid point. I enjoyed the HS t-frame also.

Surprised they went with the insert in this one, curious to see how it is. I was a fan of the milled T-Frame and Blade style Almost Belly putters.

its an interesting idea but i don't know if the square is better than the ball alignment i do love they have an almost belly version i think that was a smart idea on their part. interested to see how the insert pairs up against the white hot.

Frames the ball well...

alignment2.jpg

Frames the ball well...

alignment2.jpg

looks like the square is smaller than the ball though a little doesn't it from the picture? james is that the case? if so i think that would make it hard to align the head.

looks like the square is smaller than the ball though a little doesn't it from the picture? james is that the case? if so i think that would make it hard to align the head.

I think it's tough to tell.

maddress.jpg

Could be camera angle, here is another;

overhead_alignment5.jpg

maddress.jpg

I think it's tough to tell.

maddress.jpg

it looks a little bit smaller to me... gonna have to see in person but if so i think they should have gone a little bigger to get 2 lines on either side of the ball.

I love the feisty-ness coming from Cleveland here! We talk about the 5 year war between Callaway and Taylormade and here comes Cleveland with something to say about that. While I don't think that was the intent at all, it's nice to see some shots back and forth thrown around by the big boys.

Plus, I always learn a lot from Jman's reviews. Almost too much...

No issues at all for me so far Bucky, I think its actually right on the diameter size of a golf ball, at least it is in hand for me.

No issues at all for me so far Bucky, I think its actually right on the diameter size of a golf ball, at least it is in hand for me.

must be the pics then i'm glad to hear it i think it if was smaller it would be hard to make sure it was aligned correctly. theres been a few different designs by cleveland as of late and the few i've rolled have been pretty good. def gonna try this out at the store.

Darn it!

Eh, oh well. Maybe its something they will consider down the road. I'd be looking hard.

Or I could just make one. :alien:

Surprised they went with the insert in this one, curious to see how it is. I was a fan of the milled T-Frame and Blade style Almost Belly putters.

I was a little surprised too, that said its audible enough that it gives me a pretty nice feedback, solid little click.

That is ugly as sin I think, but I can definitely see where the two squares is going to be a help for alignment. Glad Jman got one to put through its paces. Gonna have to go back and read through his feedback so far on it.

Every time I look at this putter it grows on me a little bit. I can definitely see the straight lines on the squares helping significantly with alignment - 2 ball designs have never agreed with me because there are no straight lines.

Also, brilliant idea!

Are there any pictures of the center shafted one yet? Didn't see any out on the Smart-Square website either.

Are there any pictures of the center shafted one yet? Didn't see any out on the Smart-Square website either.

I haven't seen any yet Donne, I'm def curious as well though since I'm a true CS guy.

I haven't seen any yet Donne, I'm def curious as well though since I'm a true CS guy.

Yeah, me too. I'm curious particularly since the center shaft location seems to interfere with the area the alignment aids are in (just as it does with the 2-ball).

Back