The Disney World Thread

It's been a few years for me, I used to for free a good bit and that was always nice. The wife and I have talked about getting Disney passes, but they are just SOOO much more expensive than passes to the other theme parks.

OhioMatt - you have my sympathy. Went with 13 a couple years ago. 8 day trip. Drove down with wife & our two sons, my Mom & Dad, my Sister, her husband & three kids. Mother inlaw & Step father inlaw flew down and met us. We rented an awesome 6 bedroom house less than 10 mins from the parks. It was the first week of December and they had a cold snap - down in the 30's at night and didn't get out of the 40's during the day. Wasn't too bad for some hearty Ohioans but sure was funny to watch the shops sell out of hoodies after dark.

Our group did just about everything together mostly because the grandparents wanted to see the grandkids enjoying the Magic Kingdom. It was a little burdensome trying to keep everyone fed and bathroom breaks were insane... I would take off for FastPasses ever chance I got.

We didn't plan our meals very well. You need reservations for any of the non-fast food type places. We didn't get very many reservations so the food got old pretty quick. I've heard positive things about the non-fast food restaurants so if that's something you're interested in be sure to figure out the reservation system.

It's a lot of fun just be sure to bring your patience. We are just starting to plan a trip back there for next year, likely early December again.
Thanks! Luckly the 11 consist of 7 adults and 4 kids. Hopefully that ratio will make things a little easier. We knew going in reservations were a must with that many people so we have dinner reservations every evening. The trip is right around the corner so everyone going is getting pretty excited. My three year old still doesn't grasp the concept of time very well so every day he asks if today is when we are going to Disney.

I have never been, but we are planning to take my daughter over thanksgiving for her first visit as well. Will definitely subscribe to this thread for any tips. Thanks!

Have you looked at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (for 5 - 6 and under) or Disney 365 (5-6 and older girls)? My girls love going to those places.

I went twice as a kid, but that was over twenty five years ago. Now that I have two daughters, ages 4 and seven months, I would bet dollars against pesos that I make the trek back within the next 5-7 years.

Yeah we rode the buzz lightyear. Had a good time, the picture that you can get at the end of the ride shows me intensely shooting while my wife is looking at our scores with a disgusting look on her face as my score was 3 times hers at that point. It was classic

Way to show em whats up

The Doc and I adore WDW. Mainly because, if you do it right, its a true escape from the real world and drama free. We go annually, it gets her far away from any thoughts of anything hospital or delivering babies.

If anyone ever has any questions about Universal Orlando I'll be glad to answer. I'm kinda an expert. Get to those parks and hotels 6 or 7 times a year.

Somehow I thought you might know a thing or two about Universal, crazy huh?

As a former full time cast member (13yrs) it makes me smile to see all of these great comments on how much you have enjoyed Disney World. I always loved sitting out in front of the show I was working at and watching all of the kids and parents smiling and laughing and having a great time. I still work there part time (I "assist" my friend Tinkerbell to fly before the Wishes fireworks show) so I will wave to all of you from the top of the castle. :)

We have been down to Disney World twice in the past year. My daughter just loved it. Although our son is turning 12 he still enjoys going. LOVES THE Rockin Rollercoaster.

With that being said we are headed back to Disney 11/27 - 12/1 this year. Actually will be down in Florida in 11/22.

I've lived in Florida the past 6 years. I've had a annual pass the past 3 years. I love it. Just an awesome place to go.

Little money saving parking tip. If you park at the Grand Floridian Resort you can monorail to both Epcot and Magic Kingdom, or shuttle bus to the other parks. Parking at the resort is easy and simple. The lot across the street from the resort is for people who are guess for a wedding or visiting fellow guest who are at the hotel. Its gated but the gate goes up when you pull up. No cost. You can't park RVs or trailers in this lots, cars only. But it saves $16 per day in parking.

Love Disney World, we have done 2 family vacations and our honeymoon. Each visit we've stayed at the Grand Floridian, great hotel and puts you in the center of the action without feeling like you are. We are making our first trip to Disney Land in March so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Flynnie, what ship are you sailing on? We were on the Dream and it was awesome. Castaway Cay is very nice and relaxing.
We are sailing on the Dream in July. We are very excited. Haven't told the little one yet, too early for her to know!

Star Tours is a must at Hollywood studios.
Toy Story Mania is good too. Although not as good as the Buzz Lightyear ride at Magic Kingdom
I got my 9,999,999 pin last time at Buzz for finally maxing out my score!

I've never been, but my wife REALLY wants to take our two girls there next year. I guess since I've never been, it's not a big deal to me. Though I look on the other side of the coin and think about my little girls and all the Disney Princesses they would love to meet, and Mickey and Miney Mouse. So I'm trying to see if this will fit in our already tight budget. I'm not sure it will, at least not next year...but with that said...my oldest will be 6 next year and the youngest 4. I think I have about a two year window with the oldest one, to where she will still be into Princesses and all. So I guess we will see!

I wish I could say I haven't been a lot, especially in the past year, but that would be a total lie. Some of my wife's family work there, she used to work there, I proposed there, we went on our honeymoon in the west coast and made a special trip to Disneyland just so we could say we've been. It's my wife's getaway and her happiness outweigh the costs per month for our annual passes (also cheaper than saying go buy something at the mall by a considerable amount) I'll take all the verbal abuse in the world if it keeps the smile on her face from the time I say we're going till we come home.

Food and Wine festival just started up. We'll be there towards the end of it to unwind.

I've never been, but my wife REALLY wants to take our two girls there next year. I guess since I've never been, it's not a big deal to me. Though I look on the other side of the coin and think about my little girls and all the Disney Princesses they would love to meet, and Mickey and Miney Mouse. So I'm trying to see if this will fit in our already tight budget. I'm not sure it will, at least not next year...but with that said...my oldest will be 6 next year and the youngest 4. I think I have about a two year window with the oldest one, to where she will still be into Princesses and all. So I guess we will see!

You can always look into staying off site. More bang for your buck and still close enough to the parks. We finally stayed off site last summer and it was one of the best moves we made. Had a 2 bedroom/full kitchen and 2 bathrooms for less that the cost of staying at a value resort.

I am going three times in 12 months, December, next May and next October. My wife and I are annual passholders and Vacation Club members. We love Disney World and go as often as funds and time off allow.

You can always look into staying off site. More bang for your buck and still close enough to the parks. We finally stayed off site last summer and it was one of the best moves we made. Had a 2 bedroom/full kitchen and 2 bathrooms for less that the cost of staying at a value resort.

There are so many benefits to staying on site, and depending on the time of year it can be more cost effective to stay on site. With benefits like Magical Express and the Disney transportation system, I dont know how anyone stays off site.

The Disney World Thread

I never had a chance to go when I was younger. When older I thought I'd just wait for kids. First time was in 2005 and loved everything about it, the parks, the hotels, just hanging at the pools. We own the Disney Vacation Club timeshare now and go every year.

Magic Kingdom is still the favorite park, but Epcot is close on its heels. The others are great too and some of the best moments were in Animal Kingdom.

We just love the atmosphere, the memories that the Disney characters and songs recall. Even though I never went as a kid, we watched the Disney hour every Sunday night, saw every movie. So it's great to go and remember while building new memories with my kids.

Fav rides...Soaring, Test Track, Monsters Laugh Floor (more of a show really). My kids will do Space Mountain and Test Track all day if we let them.

I remember on our first trip, we were walking down Main Street later in the evening to take the boat back to Wilderness Lodge and as we walked past one of the restaurants a few of the employees started dancing out front to the music. A half-dozen guest joined in and finished the song, then as folks started to break up, one of the employees bent over laughing hard, slapped his hands on his knees, straightened and yelled, "this is the best job ever!"

You gotta love it. We're lucky to go often.

Last edited:
The BUZZ ride (and MIB ride at Universal) has caused some serious discord with Brittany and I. She is fiercly competitive and gets seriously angry when I beat her. Which usually happens because I'm awesome.

Oh yeah, I'm also can get a bit cocky when I win.

The wife and I took our kids there last year and my son just told me last night that he misses tinkerbell and wants to go back. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I would go to Disney World on a day that they have the lighted parade which I thought was a great experience. We plan on going back in a couple years so I will keep this thread in mind for tips.

And in case anyone didnt know, if you have an Annual Pass you can play Disney's Oak Trails for free.

The wife and I took our kids there last year and my son just told me last night that he misses tinkerbell and wants to go back. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I would go to Disney World on a day that they have the lighted parade which I thought was a great experience. We plan on going back in a couple years so I will keep this thread in mind for tips.

If you mean the electric parade, they have it nightly. I never remember the exact start time, other than it's always when I'm either trying to move from one side of the park to the other or when I'm trying to leave. Absolute nightmare every single time.

All this talk is getting me more excited to go then I was already. 51 days and counting. On a side note, who would have thought two of the most popular threads the last two days would be about minivans and Disney! Gotta love THP.

Back