Play This Shot #2

Diane

Reaction score
Your ball lands about a few inches from a tree, but you can't address it from your normal hitting side. There is no way you're going to call it unplayable. How do you play it? What type of shot? Are you going low-risk to get the ball back into play or are you going for a big recovery shot?

I would figure out a way to hit it somewhere where I can put a swing on it. Whether it be stand backwards or flip a club over, or maybe a carom off the tree :laughing:

I would figure out a way to hit it somewhere where I can put a swing on it. Whether it be stand backwards or flip a club over, or maybe a carom off the tree :laughing:

Which one? Low risk or big play?

Which one? Low risk or big play?

As always that varies from shot to shot, if it had to be played left handed or backhanded I would just take my medicine with a low risk shot and get it back in play.

I would hit it backwards. I occasionally practice this shot for such an eventuality.

If the round means something to me, I am going with what ever low risk shot I am physically able to hit. If I am out just enjoying the round, having fun, I would probably try to show off a little. I have practiced this type of shot you described. For the most part, recovery trumps distance every time. Which ever shot I decided on, I would make sure there was no danger of damaging others, myself, or my equipment.

I might hit it backwards. Literally. Back toward the tee box with a normal stance. Unless I try something stupid.

I'd make the safest play possible. You just can't take chances in that type of situation.

Kevin

Had a similar shot yesterday. I ended up in the water hazard which is low currently so the ball was sitting in large rocks and accessible, however, my only shot was back and to the right. I chipped out about 20 yards and played it from there. I really had no chance to go for it even if there was a lot riding on it.

A nice hard chip played left-handed (I am right handed) with a mid-iron turned upside down, bumped right onto the collar,... It's is rolling towards the pin, it looks good.... Almost in!!! A 1 ft. putt left. I make that for par!

Last edited:
A nice hard chip played right-handed (I am right handed) with a mid-iron turned upside down, bumped right onto the collar,... It's is rolling towards the pin, it looks good.... Almost in!!! A 1 ft. putt left. I make that for par!

The power of positive thinking in action. Nice v3.0.

Low risk...Lee Trevino back hand chip shot...just enough to get it out to a playable position. I have actually done this twice with somewhat decent results.

I'd make the safest play possible. You just can't take chances in that type of situation.

Kevin

True and no one will talk about you in years to come.

True and no one will talk about you in years to come.

But I'll be satisfied knowing I made a bogey instead of a double or triple bogey.

Kevin

Id go full swing 4 iron left handed. Advance it up as much as I can up the fairway.

the safe play is the way to go with the upside-down opposite handed shot

I've found I can actually hit my LH 8 iron from the RH side (toe of the iron is now the sole) pretty well, I don't think I could hit that shot with enough distance to really play a "hero" type shot, but anything from a 10 yard pitch to the fairway or a 40-70 yard shot towards the green is possible with a higher success rate than you'd think

Just looking to get it back in play to where I can attack pin with next shot.better off taking your medicine and still have chance for par.

low risk and get it back in play in a better position.

backwards 4 iron for me, knock it out into the fairway. chip in for birdie :D

Your ball lands about a few inches from a tree, but you can't address it from your normal hitting side. There is no way you're going to call it unplayable. How do you play it? What type of shot? Are you going low-risk to get the ball back into play or are you going for a big recovery shot?

Same shot as the wall shot babe...

With this one I have to know the situation. Where I am at on the hole (200 yards from the hole? Or 20 yards?), what sort of lie, how far it is to safety, how badly do I need to score on the hole? And you can't tell me that I can't declare it unplayable. If that happens to be the best chance to score on the hole, then damn right I'm dropping. Sorry Diane, but there is NO time when when Rule 28 is not a possible solution.

All else being equal, if it's possible I'm going to do what it takes to get back in play, or as close to that ideal as possible. If I can't address the ball with my normal stance, then I'm not doing anything stupid. I know that I can't significantly advance the ball swinging left handed... I'd be lucky to even make contact. I am ultra-dominantly right handed, so anything more than about a 30 foot chip is not going to happen from the wrong side of the ball. That is why I refuse to take the unplayable lie out of the equation.

But again I have to know the entire situation before I can say positively. If possible, I might even address the ball from the usual side and pitch it to the next fairway, then back to the correct green after that. I've been known to pitch the ball away from the hole to get back in play. It just all depends. :confused2:

:banghead: Fourputt - I want you to take the unplayable out for the purposes of this thread only. Should I say - "let's pretend" first next time?

:banghead: Fourputt - I want you to take the unplayable out for the purposes of this thread only. Should I say - "let's pretend" first next time?

I can't do that...I'm not wired that way. Without a full scenario laid out in front of me which eliminates the unplayable lie as a reasonable procedure, that has to remain a possible option. Only if I have a complete picture of the situation can I tell you if that is not an option. I play Golf, and the Rules of Golf say that the player may declare his ball unplayable anywhere through the green or in a bunker, at his discretion. I tell the truth when I say that I am totally spastic playing left handed. Under normal circumstances, if that is the only chance then I'll take the drop probably 90% of the time.

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling your fun, but I don't know any other way to approach this.

If I determine that Rule 28 is my only possibility, and that isn't allowed, then I guess I just have to concede the match and go have a beer.

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling your fun, but I don't know any other way to approach this.

Nah - You know you always entertain me.

Back