Ok, so say one was not concerned about what might happen to a graphite shaft he was pulling and didn't have a shaft puller. What would that person do and should he be worried about anything in particular?

Ok, so say one was not concerned about what might happen to a graphite shaft he was pulling and didn't have a shaft puller. What would that person do and should he be worried about anything in particular?

Melt shaft.
Too much heat is needed (in my opinion) too pull graphite shafts by hand.

Dammit. I'm going to have to pay to take it out then. could I cut it off and drill it out?

Dammit. I'm going to have to pay to take it out then. could I cut it off and drill it out?

If you are okay ruining the shaft, go for it. Just heat the crap out of it and pull. Then clean out the hosel. DDEC and I did that to one when we needed to.

Ok I think I will then. I can use the shaft for alignment or something, but I have no plans to put it anywhere else. Thank you sir.

Would steady heat from a torch work if it was low and far enough away from the head to not give it that high heat blast not work? I'd imagine the hardest part is going to always be the slow pulling part but you could get it heated enough to pop the epoxy if you were patient enough

As long as it's out I am happy.

One useful tool I used back when I did repair was
201181204258_Easy%20Out.jpg
I always had someone bringing me a shaft that was snapped off even with the hosel.

Always learning something new. Mostly recently, graphite iron shafts are a huge pain to get out. Even a puller sort of sucks if you ask me. Finally got the Z-Stars fixed up and put the stock shafts back in them. Something is still weird about them though. The heel just seems like it's raised, so I wonder if they were bent super flat or something.

Always learning something new. Mostly recently, graphite iron shafts are a huge pain to get out. Even a puller sort of sucks if you ask me. Finally got the Z-Stars fixed up and put the stock shafts back in them. Something is still weird about them though. The heel just seems like it's raised, so I wonder if they were bent super flat or something.

graphite can definitely be a pain in the butt. Esp because you always are cautious with how much heat you hit it with.

Maybe it's the 5/10 epoxy I use or something, but I had to heat the ever living crap out of it to get it to break.

Maybe it's the 5/10 epoxy I use or something, but I had to heat the ever living crap out of it to get it to break.

that could be. Do you load up with epoxy when installing too?

Yep, I think I may use too much.

I will be doing some shaft cutting and regripping tonight. Is it sad that I am excited for my Friday night plans?

No it's not sad. I was pretty blah on the whole day yesterday until I got a little shop time. What are you doing with shafts?

No it's not sad. I was pretty blah on the whole day yesterday until I got a little shop time. What are you doing with shafts?

Nerfny got some altitude's, they just need to be cut down a touch and have her lady grips installed.

Nice. I'm highly considering pulling the MCI's out of the 588 Combo set while I still have bhilln's puller so I can put them in something that comes along. I'd leave them be, but I know that circumstances won't have me playing those irons any more this year and I hate to see them just sitting there not getting used. Only thing that worries me is on a reinstall. You have to drill out the tip to get the old epoxy out and I've had some bad luck with graphite doing that.

I've been reading this thread off and one for a while. You guys do some great work. I'd really like to get a set up in my garage, but first things first, need to get a station and equipment like you guys have. Maybe I can ask for some of this stuff for Christmas, as my parents were wanting a list of ideas. hummmm

Don't need much to start AJ. I started with paintfill, moved to regripping, and now can reshaft as well. Sort of built it up over time.

I've been reading this thread off and one for a while. You guys do some great work. I'd really like to get a set up in my garage, but first things first, need to get a station and equipment like you guys have. Maybe I can ask for some of this stuff for Christmas, as my parents were wanting a list of ideas. hummmm

I ask my dad for something each year. One year it was the bench ruler and a digital caliper. Last year was one of those quick clamp vises. Jenns dad got me a small air compressor a couple of years ago.

Same here. I almost bought a regripping station from GolfWorks yesterday, and was going to post a question of whether it was worth $100 or not. Searching for "gripping station" brought me to this thread, which I read in its entirety, and now I'm planning a workshop in my house. And I decided I didn't need the gripping station either.

Don't need much to start AJ. I started with paintfill, moved to regripping, and now can reshaft as well. Sort of built it up over time.

yup I started up with an air compressor and a portable black and decker table. I used to regrip and do stuff in the kitchen. Then I added the roberts puller and eventually I moved everything to an area outside of the kitchen haha

This was the table I used for a while. It was great, portable, had a vise built in. Just needed one of those rubber clamps and I would push it up against a door frame or something.

mWBIBjdRhwIiTafKcfsDKLg.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a large bench come with my house when I bought it, along with a peg board and some outlets.

Back