The Cruise Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Where have you gone?
What lines have you traveled?
What ships in those lines have traveled?

Royal Caribbean, June 2002. Don't remember the name of the boat.

We went to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel, Key West.

We were upgraded from an interior room to a balcony with private butler free of charge. We still have no idea how it happened. Didn't matter, because tea time at 4pm is awesome.

Disney Cruise Line sailing on the Dream in less than 90 days. #getexcited

Have you booked your boat yet Josh?

I have only been on a Carnival cruise when I was in high school. I don't remember much about the boat other than I didn't have to pay for food. I think the stops were Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and one more. We stayed in the tourist traps but had a good time.

Norwegian once - '89
Celebrity once - '01
Royal Caribbean three times all in the last 7 years - Grandeur, Mariner, Enchantment

Have done Western Caribbean once, Eastern Caribbean once, Southern Caribbean three times.

Enjoyed all of them. Would love to do Alaska sometime in the future.

I've been on cruises around the world, but that was with the Navy. As far as recreation goes. We did the eastern Caribbean with Disney on the Wonder.

I'm a bit partial to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises. They really are the best when it comes to guest services and food quality. ;)

I've been to east, west and southern caribbean. I prefer the latter out of San Juan as there's some great ports of call from St. Thomas down to Aruba.

Europe cruise from Barcelona to the French riviera and west coast of Italy. Monte Carlo, Rome and Capri were my favorite stops.

Hoping to do Alaska & Bermuda soon and the Greek Isles someday.

Its really the best valued vacation IMO.

Carnival cruises here. One to the Bahamas and one to Alaska. The Bahamas are overrated IMO but Alaska was INCREDIBLE. 7 days of awesomeness.

Went on a Disney cruise in May of this year. We did a 4 night cruise aboard the Disney Dream. Our ports of call included Nassau, Bahamas, and Castaway Cay. We went to Atlantis in Nassau to swim with the dolphins. From what we saw, Nassau was a dump with the exception of the resorts. Castaway Cay is a huge plus when sailing with Disney. Only one Disney ship is there at a time and there is an adult only beach.

• Admin
I'm a bit partial to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises. They really are the best when it comes to guest services and food quality. ;)

I've been to east, west and southern caribbean. I prefer the latter out of San Juan as there's some great ports of call from St. Thomas down to Aruba.

Europe cruise from Barcelona to the French riviera and west coast of Italy. Monte Carlo, Rome and Capri were my favorite stops.

Hoping to do Alaska & Bermuda soon and the Greek Isles someday.

Its really the best valued vacation IMO.

It really is the best value out there when comparing dollar for dollar. You have more know how on this subject than just about anybody. Thank you in advance for all the help you are going to have to provide us. We have both been on quite a few, but not in the last 5 years (minimum) and lots have changed.

Royal Caribbean - Freedom or Liberty of the Seas (I forget which)

We departed from Miami and made port in St Maarten, Puerto Rico, and RC's private resort/port at Labadee, Haiti

We had balcony staterooms, which were GORGEOUS, even when shared with a toddler.

Carnival 2009 - Key West and Cancun (Imagination)
Carnival 2011 - Jamica, St. Thomas, and Cancun (don't recall ship)
Royal Caribbean 2010 - Greece, Turkey, Mykonos, Israel, Egypt, and Crete.

The experience on Carnival duribg that time period was the best deal for the dollar.

The Mediterranean Cruise was unbelievable and recommend going once in your lifetime, if you have the mesns.

Now since the kids have arrived we are looking at Disney Cruises.

Went on my first earlier this year. Not a great experience.

It was on Carnival to Cozumel. The food was mostly tasteless. The on-board entertainment wasn't very entertaining...

Then two weeks after I had finished my trip, the boat ends up losing power and gets stuck out at sea, no power...

We've sailed Carnival twice, the Glory and the Freedom. Went to Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Nassau, Jamaica, and Cayman Islands. The wife and I love cruises and are thinking about a Disney cruise with the kids.

It really is the best value out there when comparing dollar for dollar. You have more know how on this subject than just about anybody. Thank you in advance for all the help you are going to have to provide us. We have both been on quite a few, but not in the last 5 years (minimum) and lots have changed.

No problem JB. Yeah a lot has changed in 5 years from adding more capacity, modern interior design and new guest offerings such as specialty restaurants, wi-fi and unlimited adult beverage packages just to name a few.

I'd be glad to help answer any questions on this thread or via PM.

I want to personally thank Canes for his assistance. What a wealth of knowledge he is and for those that have not had the pleasure of meeting him, one of the nicest guys you will ever get to tee it up with.

Carnival out of Tampa to western Caribbean, never again will I get on a carnival ship. Worst service ever, bad food and cheap.

Royal Caribbean out of Miami Bahamas, Jamaica. Very enjoyable, great food, great up grades and great grades. Highly recommend this line.

Celebrity to Bahamas out of West Palm, fun clean and good food. Sleeping quarters just ok. Would go again for price.

Carnival...norweigan and one other I cant remember

Ive been just about everywhere in the caribbean and cozumel mexico

Love cruises. .its been awhile im due for another. Love having everything I need to want and do right there in 1 spot

Recently went on the Disney Dream with grandkids to Nassau and Castaway Key. It was terrific; everyone had a great time.

However, my favorite cruises are European river cruises. We have been on 5 in the last 7 years including 2 on the Danube. I think my favorite was Amsterdam to Basel because the river is beautiful, the cities are full of history and the food is great. These are small ships (120 guests) and are not noted for entertainment or gambling but on these cruises it is the destinations that re the features, not the ships.

August 2012 Seven day Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess out of Seattle (Princess Cruise Line). Great trip, food was great and the balcony views were outstanding. Unless you want a mini-suite I would recommend the Caribe deck since the deck below are mini-suites and their extra cabin space is your extra balcony space. And having a balcony on an Alaskan cruise is a must along with a good set of binoculars and a camera with an actual zoom lens.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

We went on the Mexican cruise with Carnival, but this was 2002 or so. Enjoyed it for what is was, but haven't been back on one yet. We are probably due, and talked about taking the Mother in Law and ?Sisters in law on one next year for my MIL's birthday.

On the cruise we did go on there was some excitement. We were a half day outside of US territory when a passenger fell down and broke his leg, or had a her part attack, or something. Never found out for sure. We turned around and steamed almost full throttle back towards the US. This lead to some choppy waters, and some very green passengers. They were taping bags to the elevator doors, and at other locations around the ship. We watched as the next morning a coast guard helicopter hovered over and dropped a basket and airlifted the passenger up and away. Lost half a day I one of our destinations.

Tapatalking on my iPad

Carnival, 7 days along the Baja peninsula. Ship was the Pride, for My grandparents 50th anniversary and I happened to turn 21 that same day. Good timming eh? I liked it, drinks were reasonable. Helped I smuggled a half gallon of gin on board. Main dinning food was good, 24 hour pizza and breakfast buffet was okay. Food was way better in Mexico. I got stung by a jelly fish in cabo, drank waaayyy to much the first 3 days. Being hungover on a rolling ship sucks.

I have only ever gone on day cruises, but have always wanted to go on a cruise. One of these days I will make it happen. Nice seeing everyone's experiences here. Will come in handy when I do try to go on one I'm sure.

Sept '05 Carnival - Celebration
March '08 Royal Caribbean - Enchantment Of The Seas
Nov '08 Carnival - Fasination
Sept '09 Carnival - Inspiration
April '10 Carnival - Fantasy
Sept '11 NCL - Pride of America

All of the cruises have been to Key West, Cozumel, Progresso Yucatan, Nassau, Freeport and Cayman Islands along with various Cays. The lone exception is the 2011 cruise which was a 7 day cruise to 4 Hawaii Islands that leaves Honolulu each Saturday for the trip. We had a balcony for that cruise as there was a lot of port time which meant lots of sailing along some very beautiful coast lines entering and leaving the different islands.

We have enjoyed all three of the cruise lines we have sailed, I just don't think you can get more bang for your vacation buck than a cruise.

Lots of great experiences.
For the major lines, I tend to shy away from Carnival (not because of recent problems), but I know many love them.
Anybody been on Solstice line from Celebrity or Oasis or Freedom like from Royal Caribbean?

Got a chance to discuss with Canes and got his valuable feedback as well. So many great options. I mean TONS of great affordable options all the time.

JB where you guys thinking about going?

Back